CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Embalmo
Posts in topic: 4

Very pretty "Unlicensed Possession" sign

Post by Embalmo »

Guys,

I saw this at a Chili's in North Austin and just had to snap a picture. It is all wood and it even has a cute little pepper in the lower right hand corner. I thought these signs were always "issued", is it legal for the companies to print their own? Either way, I like it.

Embalmo
Chili's unlicensed 2.jpg
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

gus
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Very pretty "Unlicensed Possession" sign

Post by gus »

It's there to make them feel better about themselves! :smash:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

I don't think it meets the letter of the statutes due to the fact it is not 'blue'. Also looks like the lettering is much smaller, so don't think it is valid for posting, but I am not the TABC.

And, at least they weren't trying to put up an invalid 51% or 30.06 sign. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Embalmo

Post by Embalmo »

gus wrote:It's there to make them feel better about themselves! :smash:
This is not a sign that is intended to restrict legal carry; it is a legal requirement of establishments that sell alcohol . Apparently they thought the TABC signs were unattractive. I guess I can see not wanting cardboard signs in the window if that is an option. I always get good meals at that location.

Embalmo

Topic author
Embalmo

Post by Embalmo »

I love "Unlicensed Possession" signs because they make me feel special and privileged; and this one is particularly attractive. Just another reason to visit my favorite Chili's.

Embalmo

Topic author
Embalmo

Post by Embalmo »

Keith B wrote:I don't think it meets the letter of the statutes due to the fact it is not 'blue'. Also looks like the lettering is much smaller, so don't think it is valid for posting, but I am not the TABC.

And, at least they weren't trying to put up an invalid 51% or 30.06 sign. :thumbs2:
Nope-It seemed the proper width, but about 1/3 the length. The more I think about it, I would want a thug to get as much tacked on as possible and this sign might get him out of some jail time (with the right lawyer) if he does mischief with a gun. I'm not going to tell them though, 'cause who know what other signs might get put up while they're at it.

Embalmo

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

Embalmo wrote:
Keith B wrote:I don't think it meets the letter of the statutes due to the fact it is not 'blue'. Also looks like the lettering is much smaller, so don't think it is valid for posting, but I am not the TABC.

Nope-It seemed the proper width, but about 1/3 the length. The more I think about it, I would want a thug to get as much tacked on as possible and this sign might get him out of some jail time (with the right lawyer) if he does mischief with a gun. I'm not going to tell them though, 'cause who know what other signs might get put up while they're at it.

Embalmo
46.02 doesn't require a posting in order for a non-CHL holder to be convicted, in an alcohol licensed premises or not, so hopefully the bad guy would get a third degree felony anyway.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

lowonair

Post by lowonair »

Our local olive garden has one made out of stone. Don't know if all of them have stone signs.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Embalmo wrote:

Embalmo
"I'm not going to tell them though, 'cause who know what other signs might get put up while they're at it."

Right on, Bro! :thumbs2:

4t5

Post by 4t5 »

There is nothing wrong with that sign. To me it says "Licensed concealed handguns welcome!"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

4t5 wrote:There is nothing wrong with that sign. To me it says "Licensed concealed handguns welcome!"
Yes, it does. And so does the official one from the TABC that they are supposed to post. The blue Unlicensed Possession signs are to be posted anywhere alcohol is sold or served that is NOT a 51% location.

The whole question is of this thread is if the version of 'home made' sign is legal from the TABC standpoint to be posted.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

Keith B wrote:
4t5 wrote:There is nothing wrong with that sign. To me it says "Licensed concealed handguns welcome!"
Yes, it does. And so does the official one from the TABC that they are supposed to post. The blue Unlicensed Possession signs are to be posted anywhere alcohol is sold or served that is NOT a 51% location.

The whole question is of this thread is if the version of 'home made' sign is legal from the TABC standpoint to be posted.
I think it IS if it meets certain criteria, not as strict as the 30.06 type rules. I don't think you necessarily have to post the TABC supplied "blue" sign if you make your own that meets criteria. Maybe Steve R could say.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Found the answer here on page 38 http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/other/ ... sGuide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Each off-premise retailer and other retail licensees and permittees not listed in the above paragraph (51% sign - KB) are required to display a sign in a prominent place on the premises which is clearly visible to the public. The sign must be at least 6 inches high and 14 inches wide and in contrasting colors giving notice that it is unlawful for a person to carry a weapon on the premises unless the person is licensed to carry the weapon under the concealed handgun law.
So, if that Chili's sign meets that size requirement (which it looks like it probably does) then it would be legal.
Keith

e-bil

Post by e-bil »

The fact it is red though could cause confusion.

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

e-bil wrote:The fact it is red though could cause confusion.
I've seen many TABC signs that don't follow the red/blue scheme. The thing CHLs really need to look for is not the color, but the "51%". In fact, I don't remember my CHL instructor even mentioning the color of the sign as it relates to 51% places. I would venture to guess that most people outside of this forum are not even aware of the colors.

Brian

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”