Anyone TABC In Houston?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dihappy
Posts in topic: 3

Anyone TABC In Houston?

Post by dihappy »

I wanted to ask if the AYVA Center had any justification for posting a 51% sign inside?

There was a small bar there on the right as you enter. Not sure if this is a separate business in the conference center or what, but there was a sign off to the right.

Maybe the sign was posted for the small area of the bar only, i dont think the AYVA center does 51% of their busineess from alcohol sales, its a conference center.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Anyone TABC In Houston?

Post by WildBill »

dihappy wrote:I wanted to ask if the AYVA Center had any justification for posting a 51% sign inside?

There was a small bar there on the right as you enter. Not sure if this is a separate business in the conference center or what, but there was a sign off to the right.

Maybe the sign was posted for the small area of the bar only, i dont think the AYVA center does 51% of their busineess from alcohol sales, its a conference center.
Just guessing, but they probably do have a seperate company that runs the bar area during events.
NRA Endowment Member

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Teamless »

WildBill wrote: but they probably do have a seperate company that runs the bar area during events.
if so, would that only prevent the CHL from going to bar area or the entire facility?
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

Teamless wrote:
WildBill wrote: but they probably do have a seperate company that runs the bar area during events.
if so, would that only prevent the CHL from going to bar area or the entire facility?
This is from a previous thread.
srothstein wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:This question has been asked in here before but I can't remember the answer. How does that law apply to a bowling alley that has a bar area with a 51% sign? Does this make the entire bowling alley 51%. For instance, I believe I can buy and consume a drink while bowling. Thinking about it, there is no way the entire place is 51%, even if the bar part of the place is.
It is one of those quirks in the law which can happen and doesn't make sense. If the bar is a contracted out bar, it may be able to get a license that is properly 51%. As such, the license may not mark off the bar as the only part that is licensed (this makes ti legal to take the drinks from the bar into the bowling area). In that case, the 51% would apply to the whole bowling alley.

But if the bar is set up as just part of the bowling alley, the license application may have been filled out improperly. This would make the 51% valid for the first year, but when someone notifies TABC, the license should be corrected the next time it is renewed.
P.S. For those of you who may be new to the forum, srothstein, is a former LEO who worked for the TABC.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
dihappy

Post by dihappy »

That makes sense. I hadn't noticed the sign till I walked up to the bar to get a coke.

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

I'll ask my sister tomorrow. She handles liqour licenses for places in East Texas.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The AYVA Center current license in the TABC Database shows they have a Food and Beverage license, so the 51% sign is not valid as they can't have a FB and be 51%. You can call thre regional TABC office and ask them to investigate and they will get them to post the correct sign.
License #: MB723524

Trade Name: AYVA CENTER LLC
Owner: AYVA CENTER LLC
Location Address: 9371 RICHMOND AVENUE

HOUSTON , TX 77063
Mailing Address: 9371 RICHMOND AVE
HOUSTON , TX 77063

County: HARRIS Orig. Issue Date: 6/5/2009
Wine Percent:
Location Phone No.: 7137220039

Subordinates: FB,LB
Related To:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

sss

Post by sss »

You can contact TABC via email at complaints@tabc.state.tx.us - I did this last year for a steakhouse on Westheimer that was improperly posted 51%. A TABC agent returned my email 3 days later and the sign was taken down by the next time I came back to the restaurant.
Carrying since 02/06/2009.

Topic author
dihappy

Post by dihappy »

That's awesome! You guys are such a resource.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”