"printing" of your concealed gun

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
kurt68
Posts in topic: 2

"printing" of your concealed gun

Post by kurt68 »

Is it legal that someone sees the outline or print of your concealed handgun as long as it is concealed? I can't get a straight answer.

Thanks, Kurt

ps. I searched but couldn't find the answer already with the search feature.

boba

Re: "printing" of your concealed gun

Post by boba »

They're not breaking any law I know of.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

boba wrote:They're not breaking any law I know of.
"rlol"

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

RottenApple wrote:
"rlol"
:mrgreen: Welcome to the forum ... you'll learn to put up with our sense of humor :mrgreen:

Below is an excerpt from a lengthy prior post viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29294&p=342864&hili ... s+#p342864" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Q: What does "concealed" mean?
I agree with the statement, obvious to those of us who know the definition, "CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED!"

But, for further clarification, to anyone ELSE reading this and asking later
1) According to the actual legal definition:
Texas Government Code - Section 411.171. Definitions
(3) "Concealed Handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

Note "openly discernible " "ordinary observation of a reasonable person" rather than "someone who knows you are a CHL and looking for a bump in your shirt"

2) According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, “‘Concealed’ means that the weapon cannot be visible, and that its presence cannot be discernible through ordinary observation. It is a criminal offense for a license holder to carry a handgun in plain view, or to intentionally fail to conceal the weapon.”

Here's a handy paragraph I keep as my guideline, but it isn't "Legal Advice":
A concealed handgun license holder who displays his or her handgun or otherwise intentionally reveals (or, "Exhibits?" or "unintentionally/accidently fails to conceal?" ... I don't know, I'm no Lawyer)
that he or she is carrying a concealed handgun is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor (TX PC § 46.035[a]).
If the weapon is displayed in a manner intended to cause alarm, the license holder is also guilty of a Class B misdemeanor (TX PC §42.01[a][8]),
unless the incident takes place on school property, in which case the license holder is guilty of a third degree felony (TX EDC §37.125[a]),
which could be enhanced to a second degree felony, PENAL CODE § 46.11.
A bump in a shirt is a bump in a shirt.
Concealed is concealed.
"Concealed Handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person
Only if the bump in the shirt is obviously a handgun, "openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person" there's a failure to conceal. But not because another CHL holder/person who knows you and knows you are a CHL holder is looking for, or notices, a bump in a shirt and knows why it is there
Additionally, remember that ... the "failure to conceal" .... must be intentional for it to be a criminal offense.

So, if you intentionally wear a see-through T-shirt and tuck it around your gun to display a real clear outline of the gun so it's obviously a gun .... yeah it could be illegal, but a bump in a shirt you can't see through ...could be anything ... like my knife sheath/snuff can holster/cell phone/pager/i-pod/urine bag/colostomy bag/insulin pump/EMS tool pouch ... ;-)
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
kurt68

Post by kurt68 »

Thanks guys, and I love the sense of humor. If you only knew what I do.

Bulldog1911
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bulldog1911 »

RottenApple wrote:
"rlol"
HAAAAAA!!!!! I admit, had to re-read the OP. :lol::
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

jmra

Post by jmra »

If you are walking down the street and no one is yelling "that guy has a gun" then chances are you are properly concealed. Now, if you stick a Turas Judge down your spandex pants and wear a skin tight shirt then you're going to draw some unwanted attention. Of course dressed like that you would draw attention without the gun.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Bulldog1911 wrote:
RottenApple wrote:
"rlol"
OK I've re-read it a half-dozen times and I'm not seeing what y'all are laughing at.
Psalm 91:2

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

SQLGeek wrote:OK I've re-read it a half-dozen times and I'm not seeing what y'all are laughing at.
OP:
Is it legal that someone sees the outline or print of your concealed handgun as long as it is concealed? I can't get a straight answer.
The question is worded in such as way that he's asking if it's legal for someone to see it. Not whether it's legal for the CHL to have their gun printed. Boba said:
They're (as in the person who sees it) not breaking any law I know of.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

jmra wrote:. Now, if you stick a Turas Judge down your spandex pants and wear a skin tight shirt then you're going to draw some unwanted attention. Of course dressed like that you would draw attention without the gun.
Not if you're on the boardwalk in Miami Beach "rlol"
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

SQLGeek wrote:
Bulldog1911 wrote:
RottenApple wrote:
"rlol"
OK I've re-read it a half-dozen times and I'm not seeing what y'all are laughing at.
Is it legal that someone sees
paraphrased ... "is it legal for someone (else) to see" ...
Yes, it's legal (for THEM) to see ... they broke no law by seeing

However, you must not intentionally display/reveal

After working 25 years as a proofreader in a law office .... I learned to both read what it says and also what is meant :)
Last edited by RPB on Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Openly: completely free from concealment : exposed to general view or knowledge.

Discernible: perceptible by the senses or intellect.

Reasonable: governed by sound thinking; rational.

If it is covered with something not easily seen through, you should be good to go. Guessing by general shape is not good enough. In this day of mobile heart monitors, external pacemakers, insulin pump, and other personal medical assistance devices, it is unreasonable to think a bulge in clothing is a firearm, short of it being accidentally uncovered or ALL of its outlines being clearly visible through form-fitting fabric. Reasonable doubt......

Now, I think that I could make a case that if someone caught a quick glimpse or thought your bulge might be a firearm, and upon being confronted by them, you said it was ok, you have a license, then, at that moment, you are no longer concealed.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

I've (perhaps not fully correctly) taken the phrase "ordinary observation by a reasonable person" to mean that an "average Joe or Josephine", even if they see a bulge, is not able to tell that it is indeed a handgun. I would think that does NOT include someone who has been trained specifically, and is in the active process of, looking for concealed handguns. "Intentionally fail to conceal" SHOULDN'T mean someone catching a glimpse due to shirt blowing up in the wind or something of that nature. It would be more like leaving it exposed on purpose, or pulling your shirt up to show someone, or putting it in the pocket of really tight clothing KNOWING that the outline will be easily seen. However, there are quite a few folks on here much more knowledgeable than me, and they may disagree. And there are situations that have occurred, though very infrequently, that weren't within the parameters of the law for either intentional failure or ordinary observation, but folks still had some trouble over it.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

kurt68 wrote:Thanks guys, and I love the sense of humor. If you only knew what I do.
Standup comedy? :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RAM4171
Location: On a dead end dirt road in the deep dark woods of East TEXAS

Post by RAM4171 »

kurt68 wrote:Thanks guys, and I love the sense of humor. If you only knew what I do.
Kurt, is that you, from Shielded Holsters?
If so, love the holster.
If not, what do you do?
Μολὼν λαβέ
Jesus was not politically correct, therefore I refuse to be
To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic-TN

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”