Verizon Theater GP - Pending

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Verizon Theater GP - Pending

Post by sugar land dave »

Has there been any movement on this issue?
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

ArlingtonGunAcademy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ArlingtonGunAcademy »

I was just at the Verizon Theatre GP last night.

They do have a 30.06 sign posted now, on the right side of the doors, next to the "no video recording devices" sign. However, it is about 5x7" in size.

This sign is not legally binding to CHL. You could be prosecuted for carrying into the theatre however, your defense to prosecution would be that you were not given proper notification via PC 30.06, since the size of the sign does not comply with section B,ii.:
  (A)  a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or
        (B)  a sign posted on the property that:
            (i)  includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
            (ii)appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
            (iii)  is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

It is a defense to the offense of unlawful carrying of a handgun by license holder if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06, Penal Code.
A person receives notice under Section 30.06, Penal Code, if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
“Written communication” means
(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: ‘Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun’ or

(B) a sign posted on the property that (i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish; (ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and (iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

Although the statute does not label this explicitly as a “defense,” it is treated as a defense under PC § 2.03(e).

Topic author
Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Dragonfighter »

Verizon, GP is owned by Grand Prairie, so ANY notice is unenforceable. The city attorney and I had quite the exchange about it and he asked plenty of questions about what I knew of other cities, their policies and if I knew of any facilities that have changed their policies, I cited Dallas Fair Park, Dallas City Hall and the notice from the city attorney ordering the removal of signs from city buildings (obviously not all were removed but that is no matter to us) and locally Flower Mound's policies at their facilities.

Then they had the big shooting and the conversation was sidetracked. Perhaps I should rekindle the convo.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

hpcatx

Post by hpcatx »

Should this be listed on texas3006.com? A quick search didn't find anything. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the Verizon Theater and its postings, so I've not submitted anything to the site.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

beefmobile
Posts in topic: 6

Post by beefmobile »

Is there any more information as to whether the policies have been changed? I have tickets to the My Morning Jacket concert tmrw (Dec. 7th) which sparked my interest to find out if they had any type of CHL restrictions at the Verizon venue. From the dialogue i followed, i'm still technically allowed to carry there, correct? Does anyone know if they've implemented wands/detectors or if they have a PD on site for verification of CHL?

btw this is my first time on TCHLF and i plan on sticking around, i've seen a lot of good info on here. I've been carrying since i got back home from the service and received my permit this year in March. I'm a US Marine and an instructor at DFW Gun Range.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
-Bill of Rights-
(Must be 18 or older. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply)

US Marine Corps
Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are....

GLOCK

Topic author
Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

beefmobile wrote:Is there any more information as to whether the policies have been changed? I have tickets to the My Morning Jacket concert tmrw (Dec. 7th) which sparked my interest to find out if they had any type of CHL restrictions at the Verizon venue. From the dialogue i followed, i'm still technically allowed to carry there, correct? Does anyone know if they've implemented wands/detectors or if they have a PD on site for verification of CHL?

btw this is my first time on TCHLF and i plan on sticking around, i've seen a lot of good info on here. I've been carrying since i got back home from the service and received my permit this year in March. I'm a US Marine and an instructor at DFW Gun Range.

The last time I went, I carried in being prepared to turn around rather than ruin the girls' night. They checked bags (ostensibly for cameras and such) but there were no metal detectors and no wands and I did not have to turn around. It is a city owned facility and so any notice is unenforceable but that doesn't preclude the possibility of considerable static should you be found out.

They have not changed the notice on their website:
WEAPONS
Guests, including law enforcement personnel, not present in an official capacity, are prohibited from bringing weapons into the theatre. Verizon Theatre does not provide weapon lockers. Weapons may not be checked in at Guest Services. Weapons include, but are not limited to, the following: Firearms, explosives, stun guns, handcuffs, brass knuckles, sticks, clubs, batons, martial arts instruments, pepper spray, tear gas, and knives. Guests found in possession of the above-mentioned items will be asked to remove the item from the theatre or dispose of it. Guests who refuse to comply will be ejected from the theatre and may be subject to arrest.
I would love to see them tell an ODO he could not carry in there. :evil2:

But the policy does say that one would be asked to return to their vehicle. The GP attorney and I seemed to be making progress but they stopped responding right after that shooting near UTA. Remember concealed is concealed and you are the only one who can weigh the risk of being unprepared vs. potential static you might receive at the facility. Sadly there is no accountability for municipalities who decide they will ignore the law.

Semper Fi marine!
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

AubreyCTurnerJr

Post by AubreyCTurnerJr »

Dragonfighter wrote: ...

I would love to see them tell an ODO he could not carry in there. :evil2:

But the policy does say that one would be asked to return to their vehicle. The GP attorney and I seemed to be making progress but they stopped responding right after that shooting near UTA. Remember concealed is concealed and you are the only one who can weigh the risk of being unprepared vs. potential static you might receive at the facility. Sadly there is no accountability for municipalities who decide they will ignore the law.

Semper Fi marine!
Perhaps it's time we in Texas borrowed a page from Florida and implemented our own version of their HB45. Tired of cities and counties openly thumbing their noses at preemption, the state legislature enacted HB45, which went into effect on 10/1/2011.

From the Florida Carry site:
it provides that when a firearms ordinance is challenged in court, the prevailing party is entitled to recoup all court costs and attorney's fees. If that isn't enough, it provides for fines and criminal prosecution by the State Attorney General for members of county commissions and municipal entities who willfully violate the state preemption statute.
When the various council members and county commissioners realized that they could be personally sued and held liable, they started repealing lots of illegal ordinances. But not without a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth (which, honestly, was kind of fun to watch from here).

beefmobile

Post by beefmobile »

well it looks like i'll be carrying. i hope it's cold in there because i plan on OWB with a jacket :???:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
-Bill of Rights-
(Must be 18 or older. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply)

US Marine Corps

GLOCK

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sugar land dave »

beefmobile,

Thank you for your service to our country! I am pleased you have found this great forum and hope you do hang out with us for awhile! Welcome home and be safe!
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

beefmobile

Post by beefmobile »

thanks dave. I plan on sticking around.

By the way guys, today is Dec. 7th, the 70th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
-Bill of Rights-

US Marine Corps

GLOCK

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

Good work.

Please don't correct all of these situations, however. I need a back-up plan for income in case I lose my job and a wrongful arrest / violation of civil rights suit seems like some easy money ;-)

beefmobile

Post by beefmobile »

So i went to the Verizon Theater last night for the concert. I did NOT see a 30.06 or 51%, only the 'notice, no unlicensed carry...." There were no wands or detectors, however they did have people standing inside the building that did light frisks if they saw something suspicious. My brother had his phone or something in his front pocket and they felt it to make sure it wasn't anything 'dangerous'....? i don't know what they were feeling for but they didn't ask him to take it out or anything. They didn't touch me. I had my G27 IWB behind my right hip with a T-shirt that i could conceal in if i needed to, but i had my jacket on as well. I did however take my jacket off for the concert (it was very warm in there) and i had a few people bump into my gun and accidentally touch it. Of course nobody knew they had touched it, just made me a little nervous.

Overall it was a GREAT concert in an excellent venue. The sound was awesome and the lights were cool. I've been listening to My Morning Jacket and going to their concerts since about 2006. Surprisingly the staff/security was very low key and non-intrusive. I'll be going back to the Verizon Theater
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
-Bill of Rights-

US Marine Corps

GLOCK

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

beefmobile wrote:So i went to the Verizon Theater last night for the concert. I did NOT see a 30.06 or 51%, only the 'notice, no unlicensed carry...." There were no wands or detectors, however they did have people standing inside the building that did light frisks
If they had done a light frisk and found your concealed weapon, would they have been legally justified in saying "sorry, no guns" and telling you to leave, that having been "oral notification"?
-Ruark

beefmobile

Post by beefmobile »

some people earlier in the thread said something about CHL holders cannot be denied the right to carry on property owned/leased by the city.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
-Bill of Rights-

US Marine Corps

GLOCK

Topic author
Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

beefmobile wrote:some people earlier in the thread said something about CHL holders cannot be denied the right to carry on property owned/leased by the city.
But the question remains how much static a CHL would receive should they be outed. However it looks like it did the last time I went and they are not looking any too hard. I believe the OP mentioned that the only sign was an "unlicensed" (Blue?) sign which IS a change as they used to have a non-compliant 30.06 sign posted. Good report there marine, thank you.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”