Buying a gun being a CHL and permanent resident

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Texicano
Posts in topic: 2

Buying a gun being a CHL and permanent resident

Post by Texicano »

I recently bought a gun and obtained my CHL a while after. For both it required extra steps. The CHL just required a photocopy of my greencard. For the gun I had to wait 3 days and more painfully gather the last 3 months of a utility bill because I'm a permanent resident. It had to have my address and name on it. The reason it was a chore was that I do most of my payments online, and the bills I did have either only had the address or name and address on them by themselves but not both. Either way I'm just not good at keeping paperwork but if I have to do it again I will. Now my question is this, I've heard that with a CHL there is no longer a background check, but since I am a permanent resident I'm wondering if I still need to get the last 3 months of bills together now that I have my CHL. Any permanent residents out there with their CHL that know??

Cool Arrow
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Buying a gun being a CHL and permanent resident

Post by Cool Arrow »

Hello Texicano, Welcome aboard! I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The NICS check is not required with a CHL, but we've heard from others here that not all stores abide by that saying that it is store policy to perform the NICS check regardless. When that came to light, some have said thanks, but no thanks and took their business elsewhere.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

My FFL will copy the Alien number and SSN and till the Fed Form and no NICS check. Green Card is enough. No more bills.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Zoti

Post by Zoti »

Both My FFL and Cabela's required 3 months bills with addresses on them when I got guns through them. No waiting period since I have a CHL (and GC). Cheaper than dirt only looked at my CHL and sold me a shotgun.

So you experience may vary. :-)

Topic author
Texicano
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Texicano »

Wow, didn't expect such fast responses, great forum, thanks alot! The consensus seems to be that there won't be any waiting period with my CHL and depending on the FFL they may or may not ask for the 3 month proof of address since I am also a permanent resident. I'm going to call around and see with a couple local stores on what their policies are and go with the one with less hoops. Its kinda ridiculous that some still require further proof and want to do a NICS check when CHL holders have already jumped through enough hoops and have already been cleared. Thanks again.

jmguerrero

Post by jmguerrero »

I got my CHL before I became a citizen and I never had to wait for anything. Glad I became a citizen though!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jmguerrero wrote:Glad I became a citizen though!
So am I! I wish more people would go to the trouble you've gone to. We'd be a better country for it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Fosforos

Post by Fosforos »

While I was a permanent resident with a CHL, I always had to provide proof of residense when buying guns. And to be fair to the FFLs, I believe the ATF rules are clear that they really do have to get that proof, even though it makes no sense.

I'm a citizen now, happy not having to carry month's worth of pay stubs with me all the time.

Skydivesnake

Post by Skydivesnake »

Same here as others have said; I have a green card but don't show this to the FFL, there's no NICs check, but the FFL wants to see three months of utility bills. I also quote my alien admissions number on the 4473, but not my SSN. Same routine at my regular FFL, my previous regular FFL and Cabelas.

It's normally easy to get hard copies of most utility bills from the provider's website with a bit of work, even for accounts which are otherwise purely online.

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

jmguerrero wrote:I got my CHL before I became a citizen and I never had to wait for anything. Glad I became a citizen though!
I applaud both you and Fosforos! :clapping:
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

Shinesintx

Post by Shinesintx »

johnson0317 wrote:
jmguerrero wrote:I got my CHL before I became a citizen and I never had to wait for anything. Glad I became a citizen though!
I applaud both you and Fosforos! :clapping:
Yes I applaud them also! :thumbs2:

I get tired of being labeled a racist by the media...for it has nothing to do with race. Do it the right and LEGAL way...and I will open my arms wide and welcome a fellow Texan.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”