Out of state CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gwtrikenut
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Out of state CHL

Post by gwtrikenut »

Well, I just wouldn't want to be the test dummy for that. And I don't think my friend would either. But it is just that the person who was going to do the training for the Florida license, told him the 1000 foot law was bogus. An imaginary law. After showing my buddy the law he is going to ask if this trainer even is allowed to train. Nut with some of the deals going around right now for Texas CHL, I think he is just going to get the Texas CHL. Good for him.

denwego
Posts in topic: 3

Post by denwego »

There’s no doubt that people who are already afoul of federal law can and do get charged under the GFZA. Every prosecutor wants to pile on the felonies to force a plea bargain conviction to put under the belt. Even then, no one actually gets convicted under it. I mean, when a federal prosecutor says it's a hollow law, you're pretty set.

So, I tried to come up with a scenario in which a law-abiding citizen carrying under the MPA or an out-of-state permit in Texas gets caught up in the GFZA:

“I’m a cop. I pulled over a guy for speeding. He had a gun in the glovebox which he told me about before he went for his registration, so I thanked him and took it back to my car and ran the serial along with his drivers license. He came back clean for warrants, wasn’t breaking any gun laws, and seemed like a nice guy, so I gave him a ticket for 5 over the limit instead of 11 and sent him on his way.

However, since I don’t already have enough to do every day as a cop, what with the paperwork, the never-ending attitude, and the heat, I’m gonna go down to the federal courthouse and find a prosecutor, and say, ‘you know, I pulled over this guy who violated a law with essentially no successful prosecutions and which was struck down by the Supreme Court a few years back. I didn’t actually arrest him or anything, and he didn’t break any state laws for you to fall back on or threaten him with, but you seem like the ten drug cases you have this week already aren’t enough for you. I’d like you to call a federal grand jury to present a felony indictment, which, by the way, will be formed solely on the strength of my testimony; it’s not like I seized that gun or filed any paperwork on my end. And we didn’t arrest him, so there’s no search incident to arrest or other presentable proof except my word that he even had it. So, if you could do that, and then if it doesn’t get tossed pre-trial, I’d like you to convince a jury over the course of several expensive days that this guy whom I didn’t arrest at the time deserves to go to jail for a few years in Leavenworth. Thanks!’

That seems like a good days work, y’all.”

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tbrown »

denwego wrote:So, I tried to come up with a scenario in which a law-abiding citizen carrying under the MPA or an out-of-state permit in Texas gets caught up in the GFZA:
Thanks for pointing out that Texans carrying under the MPA are in the same boat. So are Texans when they rely on reciprocity in another state.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I still don't understand I have a Texas CHL

If I travel to another state that accepts a Texas Chl ( Florida or Oklahome)

Am I legal if I drive near a school zone this could be difficult for someone

who is not familaer with the local area and drives into a school zone Unknowingly
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

boba

Post by boba »

stephengauntt wrote:I still don't understand I have a Texas CHL

If I travel to another state that accepts a Texas Chl ( Florida or Oklahome)

Am I legal if I drive near a school zone this could be difficult for someone

who is not familaer with the local area and drives into a school zone Unknowingly
The Federal school zone law only has an exception for CHL if the CHL is issued by the state the school is in.

rubiconjp

Post by rubiconjp »

Note that some local and state officers are cross-sworn Federal officers as well. They can enforce GFSZA if they want. Again GFSZA only applies to people carrying without CHL or out-of-state CHLs. If you are in Texas and you have a non-resident Texas CHL, you are protected.

wlvrtnjm

Post by wlvrtnjm »

I just moved to Texas from Florida where I have a chl. I've gotten my Texas dl with my Texas address. Am I still allowed to carry legally with my Florida chl?

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

wlvrtnjm wrote:I just moved to Texas from Florida where I have a chl. I've gotten my Texas dl with my Texas address. Am I still allowed to carry legally with my Florida chl?
Yes you may. There are some places that are not covered with your Florida CHL like school zones and like. I do not know all of those. Also there are some States that will not recognize your Florida CHL since you now reside in Texas.

Welcome to Texas and the TexasCHLForum!

There will be someone who has a lot more knowledge than I do that can make this more clear for you.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

wlvrtnjm wrote:I just moved to Texas from Florida where I have a chl. I've gotten my Texas dl with my Texas address. Am I still allowed to carry legally with my Florida chl?
Actually, yes,, with a stipulation you must notify Florida of you change of address within 30 days http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/ind ... 90.06.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(8) Within 30 days after the changing of a permanent address, or within 30 days after having a license lost or destroyed, the licensee shall notify the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services of such change. Failure to notify the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services pursuant to the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25.
So, make sure to change your official address to show your new Texas address, and then as Carlson said, you should be good to go with the restrictions of a non-resident license.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

http://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/chl/legal/ ... laTenn.htm

I suggest keeping your Florida license. Save your money and protect your privacy.
"hic sunt dracones"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”