Austin Convention Center

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rspeir
Posts in topic: 1

Austin Convention Center

Post by rspeir »

Has anyone else seen the signs posted at the Austin Convention Center? I don't remember the exact wording but they say that weapons are prohibited but that it doesn't apply to those with CHL's. The part that makes me scratch my head is that it then says permit holders must show their permit when asked. I do know that for some events, metal detectors are used. I'm not sure if law enforcement officers are ever used for security there or not. Unless it's an officer, I don't see how they can require permit holders to show their permit. Am I missing something?

kauboy

Post by kauboy »

Thats kind of a tangled question. By law, your only required to show your license to a peace officer or magistrate. However, if you walk through a metal detector at their facility, and you inform them that you are legally carrying a firearm, they can ask to see your ID. Whether or not you wish to show it will dictate whether or not you are permitted inside. So legally, you don't have to show it. But if you wish to attend, then you do. They CAN restrict you if you deny their request to see your license. Its for their protection and to insure the safety of their other patrons.
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Austin Convention Center

Post by ghostrider »

This is an old thread, but I plan to go to the Austin Spring Home & Garden show. Its not a sporting or school event as AFAIK, the convention center is still city owned, so it can't have a valid 30.06 sign, correct?
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

bump.
hoping someone has gone to the show already.
?
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

A google search found this document:

http://www.austinconventioncenter.com/E ... ices/Event" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Planning/ACCPolicy.pdf

It contains this info:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Concealed Handguns
• Permitted concealed gun holders may not be excluded from the facility.
• The Department is not allowed to provide signs banning guns. It is the responsibili-
ty of the Facility Contractor or show management to post a sign at the entrance to
their event.
• A Facility Contractor may not post signs at the outside entrances to the facility or at
entrances of other events prohibiting the lawful carry or possession of firearms.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

The first 2 statements seem almost contradictory:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• The Department is not allowed to provide signs banning guns. It is the responsibili-
ty of the Facility Contractor or show management to post a sign at the entrance to
their event.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I *think* what that says is CHL holders cannot be prevented from entering the facilty, but once inside a particular event could be posted. But the event is still inside a city owned property, so is even a 30.06-compliant sign still valid?
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

No real contradiction ...

A "Facility Contractor or show management" could post a "No Firearms" sign, or even a 30.05 Criminal Tresspass if you enter with a firearm sign. Like the State Parks "No Firearms" signs, those wouldn't restrict a CHL from carrying a concealed handgun of the permitted catagory which he/she is licensed to carry. The Department can't provide the signs, "Facility Contractor or show management" must get their own.

Like the "No Firearms" sign at STATE PARKS could apply under Section 30.05 Penal Code rather than 30.06. (Applicable excerpts below)

Sec. 30.05. CRIMINAL TRESPASS. (a) A person commits an offense if he enters or remains on or in property, including an aircraft or other vehicle, of another without effective consent or he enters or remains in a building of another without effective consent and he:
(1) had notice that the entry was forbidden; or
(2) received notice to depart but failed to do so.
(f) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that:
(1) the basis on which entry on the property or land or in the building was forbidden is that entry with a handgun was forbidden; and
(2) the person was carrying a concealed handgun and a license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category the person was carrying

That sign applies to non-licenseholders with ANY firearm, and also applies to license holders carrying anything other than a concealed handgun which is of the type approved by their license.

It is a "valid sign" in those circumstances, but does not restrict a CHL from carrying a concealed handgun of the type approved. (Example, a CHL with a shotgun in a State Park, they don't want hunters/poachers and you aren't licensed to carry "other" firearms in a State Park besides what you ARE licensed to carry)
And, violaters may be prosecuted.

That's a valid 30.05 sign, not a 30.06 sign, but if there were a 30.06 sign, it would be invalid to the extent that it applied to city property posting and CHLs.

That's my layman's opinion, and I'm sticking to it ..... unless I change my mind.

IANAL OSLT (Or Something Like That)
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Armybrat

Post by Armybrat »

I recall maybe nine or ten years ago or more when "Antiques Roadshow" came to the Convention Center they said no guns allowed. Of course that was prior to the revised CHL laws we now have.

It was disappointing to not be able to get my old Henry Rifle appraised. :banghead:

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Well, I was at the show and actually didn't see any signs except on the doors at one of the side entrances. Those signs basically said no handguns except for CHL holders, but that CHL holders would have to produce their license if asked.

No one asked. :-)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

Armybrat wrote:I recall maybe nine or ten years ago or more when "Antiques Roadshow" came to the Convention Center they said no guns allowed. Of course that was prior to the revised CHL laws we now have.

It was disappointing to not be able to get my old Henry Rifle appraised. :banghead:
They appraise firearms all the time, you could have taken it, had it zip tied and then had an undoubtedly pleasant surprise in the appraisal. Henry's are golden right now.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

chabouk
Banned

Post by chabouk »

ghostrider wrote:A google search found this document:

http://www.austinconventioncenter.com/E ... ices/Event" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Planning/ACCPolicy.pdf

It contains this info:
Concealed Handguns
their event.
• A Facility Contractor may not post signs at the outside entrances to the facility or at
entrances of other events prohibiting the lawful carry or possession of firearms.

That's a good find. I'm very impressed that a government agency, especially in Berkley-on-the-Colorado, would not only recognize the limits imposed on them by 30.06, but would inform all vendors of the fact!

OnceFired
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OnceFired »

Thought I'd post an update to this.

ACC doesn't specifically prohibit firearms, but it allows the event organizers to do so should they wish. I attended a recent video game event called RTX in mid-2016 and they had enormous clear plastic stickers with white lettering stuck to the glass doors on the inside pointing out. The font was around 1" tall and seemed to have the right legal language for 30.06 and 30.07.

Each sign was either 30.06 or 30.07 and only one would fit on each door. Most of the doors are double-door style, but not all. And it was hard to see the signage even when directly in front of it because it was so dark inside. So there may be a case for not knowing, depending on when & where you enter.

I'm heading down there again for a show this week. I'll try to grab a photo.
Video games are an escape from reality. Gun ownership is for when you can't.
CHL - 07/03/12 submitted, 09/07/12 received
Texas Security Guard Jobs

OnceFired
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OnceFired »

I can confirm the Austin Convention Center does NOT have signs posted for all events.

No photo - but there were no signs anywhere. I entered the North, East and South sides via both consumer and vendor/shipping entrances and there is NOTHING on any of the doors. Anything that does appear there seems to be event-specific, as was my experience earlier this year with a different event.

That said, the closest parking garage was the Hilton and that is where I parked both days because it is the shortest distance to the center's various entrances. There are no signs anywhere in the parking lot or automobile entrance from the street. However, there ARE 30.06 and 30.07 signs of sufficient size & seemingly appropriate language all around the hotel entrances otherwise, including the door I went OUT but not IN.

My route was in the car entrance, up the elevator, out the front door of the lobby. I saw no signage INSIDE the hotel. The only time I saw it was when returning to the hotel to drop a folding table back off in my car because it wasn't needed. Once I spotted those (which are on many if not all ground level glass doors facing outward) I started walking around the long way.

Next time I won't be bringing my business to Hilton, either.
Video games are an escape from reality. Gun ownership is for when you can't.
CHL - 07/03/12 submitted, 09/07/12 received
Texas Security Guard Jobs

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”