post office

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ItsAdam1
Posts in topic: 1

post office

Post by ItsAdam1 »

I don't remember to well, but is the post office off limits for CHL? I do remember goverment building are off limits, right
Adam M.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

It is off limits for me.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

I have heard many opinions on this one. LT said it is for "him." It is one of those things that you will have to decide for yourself. I am not telling. :nono:

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

carlson1 wrote: It is one of those things that you will have to decide for yourself. I am not telling. :nono:
I bet I know. :lol: I bet I do. ;-)
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I am still NOT telling! :headscratch You will just have to keep guessing.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

See the most recent beating this dead horse has taken here:

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... ost+office
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Texas law does not prohibit you from carrying in a post office. Some people think Federal Law does, but I don't believe 'em. :leaving
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Texasdoc

Post by Texasdoc »

After reading the fed and state laws I have to agree with TXI on this one . But this is like beatting a Dead Horse and kicking it to see if its dead still.

300shooter
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Anyone ever call a postmaster, and ask what they think? They are the ones that would press charges.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Good point!

This came up in another forum, and I asked a friend of mine's dad who is a postal inspector in the East Coast. (in a gun unfriendly state, he ask I not identify him or the state.)
I asked him:
"In your opinion, does Title 18, United States Code, Sec. 930. - (Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities) prohibit someone with a concealed carry permit issued by their state from legally carrying a concealed handgun on postal property?"

His answer:

"As an unofficial opinion based solely on my understanding of the laws involved, I do not think Federal Law prohibits legal carry of a concealed weapon, if the state, county, or city allows you to carry a concealed weapon. In my opnion[sp], the law was written to allow state and local police officers to carry in a postal facility, but the law can be interpreted to allow someone with a concealed handgun permit as well. Keep in mind, many folk in the business do not want any kind of weapons in a postal facility, period. It'll be up to the discretion of the authorities in your area if you are caught and charged. If you are charged, expect the book to be thrown at you."
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

So if the horse is dead on this one...What can the horse do about it at that point if you do???

I made one trip to the post office this year...(Last week)...

And you know what...

Nothing happened...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

lrb111 wrote:Anyone ever call a postmaster, and ask what they think? They are the ones that would press charges.
I was shooting the breeze with the husband of a girl my wife works with, who is a postal inspector (Fed)...

Take it for what it is worth...And he classified it as similar to an airport opertion...

There is a secured (bonded) area in a post office...Carrying in there is verboten...And you'll not have access into there unless you work there or have other evil intentions...

As far as he is concerned the post-office box area and lobby is publically accessable, govern yourself appropriately, anyone could be in there...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

My CHL instructor told us that it is off-limits, even in the parking lot.
It has been cussed and discussed here many times.

Essentially, I carry when I'm dropping mail off at their little drive-up boxes, and pray I don't have a wreck going in or out of the parking lot. (That might leave me with some explaining to do to the S.O.)

This post makes me think, however. I might just call today and find out what the postmaster says.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Post his response if you will please.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”