FTF or FTE during test?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ruark
Posts in topic: 2

FTF or FTE during test?

Post by Ruark »

I'm taking the CHL class Saturday, and I was just wondering what they do if you have a FTE or FTF during one of those timed tests - 5 shots in 15 seconds, etc. Does it cancel the whole string, or does he "stop the clock," or let it run out? They say to bring a box of 50 rounds, which is the exact number fired in the test, but if you have to do part of it over, you'd run out of ammo. Just wondering (nothing else to do while waiting!!!)
-Ruark

texanron

Re: FTF or FTE during test?

Post by texanron »

Option #1: Quaily with a Glock and you wont have to worry about FTE or FTF.
Option #2: Pack 150 rounds just in case you have to take test again.

Good Luck!
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

Stubble
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Stubble »

You should clear the jam/fix the error and get back into the fight. You must prove proficiency with a handgun. No alibi shots allowed.

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Ruark,

Glad to see you over here. Assuming you have the same handle here as there, I was one of the recent responders (under a different ID) to your "Following" post over on TFL. Welcome to this forum!! There are a bunch of great folks over here and a huge amount of good information.

Like any good Boy Scout, be prepared and bring extra ammo to the CHL class even though you don't expect to need it. Don't sweat the proficiency test if you are familiar with how your pistol operates. The course of fire is heavily weighted to close-in ranges, and if you and the gun can group at all you will likely end up with a large ragged hole on the target (it's hard to tell exactly how may projectiles went through such a hole) with several smaller holes outside that. Potentially dropping a shot or two shouldn't really play into whether you pass or fail, and if you have a stoppage but clear it safely and quickly it can be counted as good experience.

Best of Luck. Keep in mind that the waiting will REALLY begin once you have taken the class and submitted everything.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Thanks, MAR, I'm looking forward to it. I appreciate the other answers, too.

Still, though, no response to the original question. What happens if there's a FTF/FTE during the test? Do you do that part of it over, or go ahead and finish the test and just get scored "zero" for the segment where the jam occurred?
-Ruark

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

There is no prescribed method for dealing with stoppages. Different instructors handle it different ways.

Our policy is - you need to clear your own jams and recover from it, and get back on target. If you run out of time because of firearm malfunction or operator error, then you lose those points. If you drop enough points, you fail. You get 3 chances to qualify. If you don't qualify the first time due to firearm failure, we will offer you the use of one of our firearms to try again. If you choose to continue with your own gun, you better have brought extra ammo. We recommend you bring 150 rounds. You need a minimum of 50.

The key here is - have a quality firearm, have quality ammo, and know how to use them. Your life may depend on it someday!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

If there is a serious concern about FTF or FTE with a particular gun, it might be best to practice/test a bit with it before having to take the proficiency test. If it runs reasonably well in the practice/test session, you should be good to go but you might want to clean and lube it before taking the test.

As to your question about what to do, if possible, clear the jam and keep going while on that segment. If time expires and you have not gotten all the shots in, so be it. If the jam is beyond your ability to clear quickly and easily, get the instructor's attention while maintaining good muzzle discipline and before the next segment is called. Preferably, lay the gun muzzle forward on the bench if you are behind one and then summon the instructor. As I said, a few dropped shots should not prevent you from passing the test. You have more than one chance to pass, but if the gun runs reasonably well you should only need one.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I will re-stress the importance of knowing your firearm and making sure it functions properly BEFORE you go to qualify with it.

As an RSO I have seen lots of folks show up with brand new guns just out of the box that have never even seen light of day since the store. While some may run OK, it is more likely the case that it will have some of the typical break-in woes of any firearm. You don't want to have those when you are trying to shoot for score. Also, many people who bring these new guns have never shot THAT TYPE of gun before. For example, they only have shot revolvers and now bought a Semi Auto so they can qualify to carry both. Or, they own a DA only gun with trigger safety, but bring their brand new gun to show off and shoot and have no idea that how the external safety works. These are bad combinations to try and deal with when you are under the timer.

Just as bad is having a supposedly good quality firearm that has been poorly maintained or shot to death. We actually had one class where a student brought a little Browning BDA 380 (Beretta 84BB) and when they racked the slide and it slid forward, the slide went flying about half-way to the target and the other internal parts fell onto the table. :banghead:

So, to reinforce, make sure to take a good quality, well maintained firearm that you are familiar with and know operates well for you and you should have no problems if you can hit the target with it. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

I think it's your gun so it's your responsibility. No mulligans.

You can miss a whole 5 shot string and score 90%. You only need 70% to pass. That's a much better deal than you're likely to get from a criminal.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

bayouhazard wrote:I think it's your gun so it's your responsibility. No mulligans.

You can miss a whole 5 shot string and score 90%. You only need 70% to pass. That's a much better deal than you're likely to get from a criminal.
I tell my students to try to clear the malfunction. If that doesn't work then I'll step in and clear it. The only do overs are if you fail.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

Just get a Sig and it won't happen in the first place.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

glbedd53 wrote:Just get a Sig and it won't happen in the first place.
Ummmmmm that's like saying buy brand X automobiles or trucks and you won't break down. Anything mechanical can be fouled up by incompetent users even Glocks, SIGs, Colts, Berettas, Smith and Wessons, Kimbers, Springfielsd and especially Hi Points! "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

papajohn1964

Post by papajohn1964 »

texanron wrote:Option #1: Qualify with a Glock and you wont have to worry about FTE or FTF.

Good Luck!
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

Keith B wrote:I will re-stress the importance of knowing your firearm and making sure it functions properly BEFORE you go to qualify with it.

So, to reinforce, make sure to take a good quality, well maintained firearm that you are familiar with and know operates well for you and you should have no problems if you can hit the target with it. :thumbs2:
:iagree: Although I know my Glock or XDm's will fire, and fire, and fire, I always clean them after use. It is therapeutic for me to sit there, disassemble my gun, and then clean every nook and cranny. I also know it is highly likely it will go "bang" when I want it to. I rented a Glock 9mm at the firing range because my son wanted to shoot one, and I had left mine at home. It looked terrible. There was fouling everywhere, almost dripping off the dang thing. It shot just fine. However, I would not trust my personal gun to that.

I put at least 1000 rounds through my XDm 3.8" 9mm before I used it to qualify. It was second nature by then.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

wharvey

Post by wharvey »

The brand loyalty bull comes out in spades in threads like these!

As others said, there are no make ups unless you fail the test. When I took mine after my move back from Indiana my wife was also going through the class. At the time she didn't have her own so I let her use my carry gun and I used an old Spanish military 9mm I have. Due to failure on my part to properly seat the mag, TWICE!! :oops: , I failed to get 5 rounds off. Still scored 223 with the missing rounds. Hurt my pride but still easily passed the test. As others said, it really isn't that hard to pass.

A funny aside, my wife had no problems with my gun, S&W 6944 - not a glock or sig :evil2: , and scored exactly the same as I did. Not bad since she had only shot the gun a half dozen or so times before the test.
Bill Harvey

License to Carry Handgun - Indiana, since Aug 1997
CHL - Texas, since Aug 2011

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”