Shooting test

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
wwallum
Posts in topic: 2

Shooting test

Post by wwallum »

My wife and I are going to take our class some time next month and I was wondering what they do if my shot group is small and it's not possible to count all of the holes.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shooting test

Post by puma guy »

wwallum wrote:My wife and I are going to take our class some time next month and I was wondering what they do if my shot group is small and it's not possible to count all of the h.oles.
If the groups are in the qualifying sections of the target it probably won't matter unless there's evidence you're missing paper entirely at some distances. :fire Holes in one ? Good luck to you both and welcome to the forum.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

First off, welcome to the forum.

And to answer your question, if your shot group is that small and looks like one ragged hole in the center of the target, then it is pretty easy to tell that that is where all of your shots are going as there will not be any 'fliers' outside of that area on the target. The ones that are of concern is the targets that look like they were hit with a shotgun from a good distance and the shots are all over the paper. Those have to be counted to make sure the points add up. It is also very easy to tell if there are one or two holes if there happened to be two shots in close proximity.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

HankB

Post by HankB »

Each time I've done my qualifier, they were going by a "points down" method . . . they count the holes outside the 5-zone area and subtract from 250 accordingly. No holes outside the top scoring zone, it's scored as a "perfect" 250.

They don't record numerical scores - in their records, its "pass" or "fail."

It's mildly annoying when you have a ragged hole in the middle of the scoring zone with ONE errant bullet hole a foot and a half lower so it costs you . . . and you find out that the woman in the shooting lane next to yours missed her target entirely several times. Hmmm . . . I wonder where at least one of her shots ended up? :roll:
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Topic author
wwallum

Post by wwallum »

That answers my question. Thanks a lot!

elpjt

Post by elpjt »

HankB wrote:It's mildly annoying when you have a ragged hole in the middle of the scoring zone with ONE errant bullet hole a foot and a half lower so it costs you . . . and you find out that the woman in the shooting lane next to yours missed her target entirely several times. Hmmm . . . I wonder where at least one of her shots ended up? :roll:
That was my excuse also for that low right shot on my target, but he was an NCO in te Army. :lol:

JT
Run Fast, Turn Left

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "the woman in the shooting lane next to yours missed her target entirely several times." Don't feel lonesome. It happened to me with a lady INSTRUCTOR and revolver at last DPS renewal school - beginning at 7 yards!
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

knljr

Post by knljr »

...in my class there were two people that had never even fired a weapon before, and they passed. WTH? I mean, you know you're taking the test - go the range a few times...

One of the ladies was next to me and her first 10 from 3 yards were all over the place - I have no idea how she even hit the target at 15 yards.

Personally, I think the passing scores are too low and the written test is ridiculous. If you can't score 230 or higher - ie; hitting relative center mass of a target with seconds between shots in a no-pressure environment...what the heck are you going to do when someone is coming after you? I'm really suprised they don't spend more hands-on time talking about the practical aspect of conceal carry and maybe using plastic weapons to practice holstering and drawing a concealed weapon. I know that there are more advanced classes that teach these principals in detail, but how many people actually go do them?

I wouldn't even mind paying more and going to a 2-day course to get better training. But I digress...

Short answer to your question - you most likely have nothing to worry about. I took my Dad to the range with me a few months ago - he's never shot a semi-auto and it was probably 20 years since he shot any kind of a gun. I put up a CHL target and had him fire 50 rounds at the appropriate distances...he passed with the first 50 rounds he'd fired in 20 years on a gun he hadn't seen or touched until I loaded it for him and put it in his hands....granted it was a HK P7 which is a DREAM to shoot, but still...
Last edited by knljr on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
H&K P30, H&K P7, H&K P2000SK v3, Glock 36, Sig Sauer P238
US Navy 1989-1993 - C-2A Aircrew
Packet Mailed: 10/14
License in Hand: 12/6

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

wwallum wrote:My wife and I are going to take our class some time next month and I was wondering what they do if my shot group is small and it's not possible to count all of the holes.
There was a guy like that in my class. Every round went into about a 3" circle. I hated him then, and I hate him now. :smilelol5:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
wwallum wrote:My wife and I are going to take our class some time next month and I was wondering what they do if my shot group is small and it's not possible to count all of the holes.
There was a guy like that in my class. Every round went into about a 3" circle. I hated him then, and I hate him now. :smilelol5:
You should not talk about our good friend Gary that way!

I do remember, when he did his last renewal, as he walked off the range, one student turned to another and said "Who WAS that guy?!" :shock:
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Crossfire wrote:I do remember, when he did his last renewal, as he walked off the range, one student turned to another and said "Who WAS that guy?!" :shock:
Did you tell him Wyatt Earp?

Chas.

knljr

Post by knljr »

HAHA - that's awesome. I go shoot from time to time with a buddy of mine that's a 26 year retired SEAL Master Chief. As you can imagine - he can shoot lights out - it's insane. He attracts a lot of attention at the range. Especially when we move to the rifle range and he pulls out his 'toys'. :mrgreen:
H&K P30, H&K P7, H&K P2000SK v3, Glock 36, Sig Sauer P238
US Navy 1989-1993 - C-2A Aircrew
Packet Mailed: 10/14
License in Hand: 12/6

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

When a student shoots one ragged hole I tell them "Thanks that makes my job easier."
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

knljr wrote:Personally, I think the passing scores are too low and the written test is ridiculous. If you can't score 230 or higher - ie; hitting relative center mass of a target with seconds between shots in a no-pressure environment...what the heck are you going to do when someone is coming after you?
Stick the muzzle of the snubbie in the rapist's ear and pull the trigger.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Crossfire wrote:I do remember, when he did his last renewal, as he walked off the range, one student turned to another and said "Who WAS that guy?!" :shock:
Did you tell him Wyatt Earp?

Chas.
Yeah, Gary is good... Scary good!! Just the kind of guy you want on YOUR side in a gun fight. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”