gun shows & chl

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
j-jeep
Posts in topic: 1

gun shows & chl

Post by j-jeep »

Does anyone know if it is legal to carry at a gun show (in municipal bldg)? What about city owned museums with no postings?

40khammer
Posts in topic: 2

Re: gun shows & chl

Post by 40khammer »

Every gun show I've been to has been 30.06 posted, but if you manage to find one that's not, then go for it.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

"We have had to do that because most of the accidents at gun shows lately have been chl holders"
Correlation does NOT equal causation.

<sarcasm>

Hmm, it's a gun show. Who likes guns and is most likely to be there? CHL holders?!?! You don't say...

</sarcasm>

Of course I have no idea what "accidents" they are talking about. I highly doubt the accidents are caused by CHL holders' concealed handguns.

denwego

Post by denwego »

"When a person "rents" a building it is ours for the weekend."
Here's to you, Mr. Gun Show Promoter, for failing so completely in understanding property law! We salute you and your gun-store-know-it-all-advice!

There hasn't been any arrests, valid or invalid, as best anyone on the forums can tell, but who owns the building the show is held in doesn't change when someone rents it. §30.06 says "owned or leased by a governmental entity" and any signs posted on a public building are invalid whether a gun show is going on or not. Every gun show I've been to at the GRB in Houston or at the civic center in Pasadena have been posted; every time, I walk right on past with my handgun, properly concealed, like I was getting a sandwich at Whataburger. If I plan on handling it at all, I clear it and check it, which is the minimal common sense necessary to prevent those ADs/NDs which happen a dozen times per gun show, if the media are to be believed.

Privately owned buildings are another matter. I think one of the shows up in Dallas is held on private property, so a sign there would be enforceable. Who owns what is all you really need to check/know before you head out.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Over the years, I've been present for four NDs at shows. I know that's a small sampling, but in every case the guilty parties were dealers.

A CHL was arrested at GRB a couple of years ago after a ND. I don't recall whether the charge was later dropped.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

Ever since I started carrying I have not gone to a gun show. I know that the signs are not enforceable but I'm not willing to be a test case. Until they take the signs down, they will not get one penny of my money. If all CHL holders took the same stance, they would take the signs down.
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

magillapd wrote:Ever since I started carrying I have not gone to a gun show. I know that the signs are not enforceable but I'm not willing to be a test case. Until they take the signs down, they will not get one penny of my money. If all CHL holders took the same stance, they would take the signs down.
I disagree on the chance of that happening. As has been mentioned previously, even the TSRA is required to post 30.06 at the gun show held in conjunction with their annual meeting.

Without the signs, there is no insurance. Without insurance, there is no gun show.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

donniet

Post by donniet »

Mike1951 wrote:
magillapd wrote:Ever since I started carrying I have not gone to a gun show. I know that the signs are not enforceable but I'm not willing to be a test case. Until they take the signs down, they will not get one penny of my money. If all CHL holders took the same stance, they would take the signs down.
I disagree on the chance of that happening. As has been mentioned previously, even the TSRA is required to post 30.06 at the gun show held in conjunction with their annual meeting.

Without the signs, there is no insurance. Without insurance, there is no gun show.
I agree, not attending the gun shows will not change the 30.06 posting. However, as has been often mentioned here, "we are all free to vote with our feet and our pocket book" and I agree with magillapd.

Now, I am going to put on my "flame suit" and make a statement which will not be popular with many. Because TSRA posts the 30.06 sign, I can no longer support the organization.

Before I become a crispy critter, let me state, I am deeply torn over this. I recognize the importance of TSRA and how hard they work for our 2A rights. However, they ignore the very laws they help to pass and post the 30.06 where it is unenforceable. This forces members to make a choice, "go along to get along, or risk becoming a test case". If you cannot stand behind the law, why fight to pass it?

I choose not to "go along" nor to become a "test case" so I just stay away. That's just me.
NRA ENDOWMENT
Plastic..many years ago

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

j-jeep wrote:Does anyone know if it is legal to carry at a gun show (in municipal bldg)? What about city owned museums with no postings?
Sec. 30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN.
(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.

Here's a link to Section 46.03 and 46.035.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

WEC

Post by WEC »

There have been a few times when I have gone to a show and was carrying. I am aware that they don't allow loaded weapons of any kind so I leave my mag and +1 in the car, but I take my weapon with me. Upon arriving at the desk where the officers put zip ties through any firearms, I would present my weapon slide locked back, the officer would zip tie it, and then he proceeded to watch me place the weapon in my IWB holster. He did not blink an eye nor was I harassed my entire stay. Take that as you will, IANAL, YMMV, etc.
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

+1 :iagree:
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

40khammer wrote:Every gun show I've been to has been 30.06 posted, but if you manage to find one that's not, then go for it.
Why bite the hands that feed them?
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

40khammer

Post by 40khammer »

rp_photo wrote:
40khammer wrote:Every gun show I've been to has been 30.06 posted, but if you manage to find one that's not, then go for it.
Why bite the hands that feed them?
That is the question.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

WEC wrote:There have been a few times when I have gone to a show and was carrying. I am aware that they don't allow loaded weapons of any kind so I leave my mag and +1 in the car, but I take my weapon with me. Upon arriving at the desk where the officers put zip ties through any firearms, I would present my weapon slide locked back, the officer would zip tie it, and then he proceeded to watch me place the weapon in my IWB holster. He did not blink an eye nor was I harassed my entire stay. Take that as you will, IANAL, YMMV, etc.
Why leave your mag in the car, you got other pockets? The ammo rule is beyond stupid since you can buy ammo and mags right there in the place. You really want to be defenseless possibly carrying a lot of cash and a shiny unloaded pistol? I empty the chamber in the car and stick the mag in my front pocket. Better than nothing at all. When leaving I go to the bathroom and slip the mag back in for the trip to the car. Trip is usually far and Houston aint the best place to wander the streets, especially downtown.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”