30.06 sign at Nursing Home

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

Thinking in terms of the several "color blind" people that I know, I'll bet a good case could be made that the black letters on red background were not contrasty enough.

I wonder if an amendment to the law needs to be made just on that basis - IOW, if one cannot distinguish between green and red, which are pretty contrasty to those of us who see colors "normally" it's probable that the sign would be seen as merely a blank piece of paper.

I think the law should specify 1 inch block letters (ALL OF THEM) in white on a black background, none of this white on glass (try that with macular degeneration) or 1 inch caps followed by lower case at 3/4 of an inch.

And of course, penalties for non-compliance. :lol:
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

HankB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HankB »

When it comes to "notice" being given, signs must, under the law, comply with all provisions of PC30.06.

No compliance, no notice.

"Contrasting colors" may be open to liberal interpretation, but language and size are more precisely defined.

The required language is explicit and exact, and deviations will render a sign non-compliant.

Lettering size is pretty explicit, too . . . though an eager DA may decide that, for example, letters 7/8 of an inch high are close enough when "rounded up" to 1" (and he may just want to punish you by forcing you to hire an attorney) but letters that are less than a half-inch inch in height . . . no way.

IANAL, but in your situation, I would regard the signs as "non-compliant" and - discretely! - ignore them.

I also would NOT repeat NOT ask the home's management for a clarification, as they might decide to complicate things by giving me verbal notice. :shock:
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

kauboy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kauboy »

I was up at Harris Southwest hospital this past weekend with the wife for a checkup and can confirm that they are properly posted. What I liked about the posting was that they made no attempt to pretty it up or keep it out of view. The letters were even large enough that I spotted it from the car in the parking lot, which gave me the immediate notice I needed to turn back in my seat and make a deposit in the glove box.

It was white on glass, but the interior was dark enough that regardless of outside light, it definitely contrasted. The letters were over 1" high and wording was all proper. Even though I hated that I had to disarm, I at least liked that they made no bones about compliance. I almost wanted to take a picture to use as an example of proper signage, but I didn't like the colors enough to tout it as "perfectly proper".
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”