NYC testing a device to recognized concealed handguns

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
testersbc
Posts in topic: 1

NYC testing a device to recognized concealed handguns

Post by testersbc »

Just read a clip on yahoo that shows NYC is testing a device to recognize a concealed handgun. They are hoping to push it to 80 feet. Currently only testing at 13 feet.

bkj

Re: NYC testing a device to recognized concealed handguns

Post by bkj »

If it works it will spread.
"When seconds count the police are minutes away" Nikki Goeser

“Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority…They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.” Noah Webster

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

With 34,000 NYPD police officers, not to mention those from federal agencies and surrounding jurisdictions, walking around the city, they'll be doing lots of detecting. I predict some nasty blue on blue incidents if this is widely deployed.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

Amazingly cheap too, only $1.00 per officer

Or, If they get the free ones, they have to take an additional oath of office

So, I gotta get me a pair of those X-ray Specs ... and then I can go stare at TSA workers .... :biggrinjester:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

(EDITED AFTER READING ARTICLE)

I'm going to go search this out, but right off the top of my head, here is my general question: does it detect metal or does it return an image? If metal, well what happens when folks are wearing things like Leatherman or Gerber multitools? TONS of false positives waiting to happen...and if it returns an image, how does it make the image, x-ray? THAT is a lawsuit waiting to happen ("Your Honor, my clients all have cancer and they have been subjected to needless x-raying by the NYPD handgun detection devices"). Just spitball thoughts...

Okay, I'm back...it DOES seem to return an image, from looking at the video, by means of "a form of energy similar to radiation"? Do they mean HEAT, as in infrared? Because there ARE ways to defeat that...the uniforms I was issued, for example, had a substance in the fabric that scattered heat to break up a person's outline to infrared scopes, etc. We ended up starching the uniforms and ruining that protection because we were USAF mechanics, but it did exist...so, I'm sure you can find other ways. You just have to love the nanny state...they'll make SURE you're being safe and not carrying those icky poo-poo guns...even if the bad guys can jump you and stab you or simply beat you to death...how dare you think that you should have the means to defend yourself? Stupid individualists, always trying to ruin a perfectly good collectivist society... :roll: :banghead:
Last edited by Heartland Patriot on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

The blurb I just looked at said infrared.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

It detects the heat radiating from a body, objects such as guns will block the heat radiation.

Heartland Patriot

Thomas wrote:It detects the heat radiating from a body, objects such as guns will block the heat radiation.
Guns won't block the heat...they'll absorb it and then return a bright spot on the image, as in the video. I got to play with a FLIR ball on a Special Operations C-130 many years ago...all the metal on the guy out front was glowing bright...like I said above, there are ways to defeat that, I am certain.

stroguy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stroguy »

I hate to interject common sense when we are talking about NYC but here goes. Save the tax dollars for this concept, equipment and all other ancillaries and put that money toward gun safety and familiarization courses in high school and colleges. Then give tax credits to law abiding NYC CHL holders and put the bg's on notice that the city is ready to defend itself.

NAH....let's just waste the tax dollars on equipment that has zero chance of lowering crime rates.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Easy......just get (or make) a full cover battery powered electric holster!

Heck, just get some battery powered electric socks at Bass Pro and stuff your gun in one while the other is in the wash......always a nice clean holster....infrared proof!! :smilelol5:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

stroguy

Post by stroguy »

Just have a fake heat signature in the shape of handgun, when the police stop and seize and search resist like a baboon. After discharge from the hospital, sue the city, win, retire. American dream completed.
Last edited by stroguy on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heartland Patriot

stroguy wrote:Just have a fake heat signature in the shape of handgun, when the police stop and size and search resist like a baboon. After discharge from the hospital, sue the city, win, retire. American dream completed.
"rlol"

stroguy

Post by stroguy »

Ooops, didn't mean to quote myself.

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

They're talking about Teraherz Radiation - 100 micron to 1000 micron wavelength. Thermal imagers typically work in the 8-14 micron range.

The explanations so far are implying a passive device - picking up emissions from the body or items themselves - instead of an active device like radar. We'll see.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

handog

Post by handog »

Never mind the tent cities and growing number of homeless in NY. The problem is hand guns! The government must continue to crack down on those who dare exorcize their constitutional rights.

This is just one small step in our ever growing police state. There were what, 40000 new laws past this new year. Including
an Open-carry citizen handgun ban in CA. because the Police could not tell if the open hand gun was loaded. :banghead:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”