CHL Holders: What do you carry? How do you conceal?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CHL Holders: What do you carry? How do you conceal?

Post by cbunt1 »

Usually: a commander-sized 1911 in an MTAC holster, at about 4:30, two spare magazines just behind 9:00 in a Comptac Kydex double mag pouch along with a J-frame on an ankle rig. The backup is more about being able to hand a gun to someone else in a tight situation than having a second gun for myself.

About one day a week: a S&W 4" 686 in a Galco summer comfort holster at 4:30, with a duty-style dual-speedloader pouch at about 2:30. The speedloaders sometimes get pocketed, or swapped for strips, based on the shirt I might be wearing.

The 686 rig and duty style speedloader pouch aren't EDC, and I usually wear a "shoot-me-first" vest with that outfit, but I mention it to make the point that you can conceal and carry anything you decide to. It's a competition rig, (I decided to run a wheelgun in IDPA for a while), but I *HATE* swapping guns and carry rigs just for a match, then swapping out after the fact. We always go to dinner after the match is over, and I simply pull my shirt over the rig, drop the vest, and go eat...and it works...and I carry the same thing to the match that I shoot in the match. If the speedloader pouch seems too bulky, the loaders go in a pocket, and all is well.

Funny thing is, I have found that I have more trouble dealing with a reload (extra mags, or speedloaders) than I do the pistol itself...

And as TAM mentioned, I too have a whole drawer full of holsters that I don't use, and 2-3 that I do use, for everything that's in the carry rotation...it's become a running joke around the house!
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

G27 in Crossbreed Supertuck at 3:30 - 4:00
NRA Life Member

rqFLSTFB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rqFLSTFB »

"One thing for sure is that, if CHL becomes a way of life for you, you will own two drawers full of holsters. One drawer is for those holsters that you abandoned because you found something better, and one drawer is for those holsters that you actually use. If I had a nickle for each of the holsters I bought and never use anymore.."

amen to that!

Even tough pocket guns and holsters are getting more and more popular i would advise against it unless you train regularly with the pocket rig...
If you want to know what i mean, set up an imaginary scenario and see how long it takes you to get to your gun and draw from your pocket if there's a threat actively running towards you.

i found that a full size or mid size gun in an easily accessible holster, either IWB or OWB is the way to go for me.

just my 2 cents.

IChangIT

Post by IChangIT »

I'm 5'6" and 140 lbs...I find no problem concealing IWB or OWB under a button-up shirt or Hawaiian shirt untucked. Most civilians are rather...oblivious.
My favorite:
Springfield MicroCompact 1911 3in brl IWB with a Desantis Sof-Tuck or a Bianchi Covert Option at 3-4 o'clock
I also like to carry:
Taurus 357mag 3in brl (K-frame) in a OWB pancake holster by G.L. Schwenk at 3-4 clock (I can also wear this on the right with he Springfield on the left)
As a back up, I have
KelTec P3AT in a pocket holster, usually front left pocket.
I find a dark color semi-loose button shirt, especially with some design to break up the silhouette works especially well. I don't usually carry my G17, Rugar P91, or Sig P250 Compact, they're slightly uncomfortable because I have not bought just the right holster yet. Oh, got one of them Blackhawk belt pack thing, but I don't ever wear it. It feels so big and bulky on me, i might as well wear a backpack.
Hope this helps someone.
-----------
-C

Ace5299

Post by Ace5299 »

I felt the same way at first. Like everyone is saying...people just don't notice. Just act normal. You are exercising your legal right so no need to worry about it. I suggest carry all the time. Yes, even when you are just going to the local store for milk and bread. 1 you never know when you need your firearm and 2. You get use to having it. If you are like me, you will feel very strange if you don't have it on. Cross bread g27 iwb. I wear my shirts un tucked. Now my biggest issues is, I like to wear a sport type shorts that have no way to wear a belt. I guess I need to go get a pocket pistol for that. Or darn...just another reason to buy another gun. :clapping:

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Ruark wrote:Even though IWB holsters are "in," I personally can't stand them. I never could get comfortable with something wedged between my belt and my body. I can't imagine sitting through 2-hour movie with a 1911 inside my pants. I carry my P238 in a simple, $19.95 Tagua OWB holster. I have to be careful not to forget it's there, and it's extremely accessible; I can draw and commence firing in just under half a second. It disappears under a t-shirt.
My t-shirts don't hang down that low, and I'm really, really, really not a sport coat or suit kinda guy... therefor IWB.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott in Houston »

Ace5299 wrote:I felt the same way at first. Like everyone is saying...people just don't notice. Just act normal. You are exercising your legal right so no need to worry about it. I suggest carry all the time. Yes, even when you are just going to the local store for milk and bread. 1 you never know when you need your firearm and 2. You get use to having it. If you are like me, you will feel very strange if you don't have it on. Cross bread g27 iwb. I wear my shirts un tucked. Now my biggest issues is, I like to wear a sport type shorts that have no way to wear a belt. I guess I need to go get a pocket pistol for that. Or darn...just another reason to buy another gun. :clapping:

This.

It's like a seat belt. You don't plan on using it, but you should always buckle up or you need to be a VERY good guesser.
Same for carrying. I'd hate to guess wrong (on when I need it).
Also agree that it becomes part of you. When I travel to Commyfornia or The People's Republic of New York, I feel naked.

wharvey

Post by wharvey »

I carry the guns listed in my sig. As others have noted, people are very non-observant.

I go to pocket carry in hot weather mostly because it is quick and easy. While I can, and sometimes do, carry my 3rd gen S&W with just a tee shirt cover, I usually don't for the simple reason I hate having my shirt tail not tucked. Just doesn't feel right. I carry IWB instead of OWB because I don't have to worry as much about my shirt riding up. I also find it as comfortable but YMMV.

One problem I do have is that my hips are no larger than my waist so my pants tend to want to ride down. Hate that but my IWB holsters actually help keep my pants up. The belt isn't the problem either. It is a good gun belt by Kramer. Just my build.

As mentioned in some of the previous posts, don't worry that much about being made, It rarely happens.
Bill Harvey

License to Carry Handgun - Indiana, since Aug 1997
CHL - Texas, since Aug 2011

jeffrw

Post by jeffrw »

Ruger LCR .38 snubnose revolver

For now I just use an inexpensive Blackhawk IWB holster. On casual days I tuck it at the 1:00 position and my untucked shirt conceals it -- very easy. When I dress up it goes at 4:00 (with my belt over the holster clip) and my jacket provides concealment. For dressy casual (tucked-in shirt and slacks but no jacket), that's a little tougher. I've used a pocket holster which breaks up most of the outline of the gun, but the handle still can print quite a bit (and possibly even stick out of my pocket if I sit the wrong way).

HerbM

Post by HerbM »

You've already gotten a bunch of good answers, full size or smaller, pocket or OWB or IWB all can work.

There are no 'wrong' answers for the people who make it work for them.

There are no 'right' answers for the other guy, just ideas to try.

A lot of people I know are moving to appendix carry for tactical reasons in a combatives situation -- remember, you are quite likely to already be under attack when you need the firearm.

It is quite possible to conceal a Glock 30 (smallish .45), Glock 21 (full size .45), or a full size double stack 1911 in appendix position with or without a holster, the biggest issue with no holster is "trigger safety" -- the minimal Zak thingy can work and there are plenty of holsters that work there as well.

Biggest difference between full and compact size in my experience is not concealment but most comfort. Shorter firearms don't poke you or interfere with your environment (e.g., chairs or clothes) as much.

As several people have said, try wearing it around the house ALL DAY while waiting for your license.

Problem most people never realize before starting to carry is the darn thing is a pound of steel or other hard material poking you or stuff you get close to.

The right gun in the right place with the right rig (for you) will almost disappear from both the sight of others and from your concern.

Wrong stuff is uncomfortable, unsightly, and can even be painful or tear your clothes up.

--
HerbM
HerbM

Glenn61

Post by Glenn61 »

I carry a wallet with a credit card in case my wife wants to use it. It's called a bribe--so I can be allowed to carry when I'm around her. "rlol" Still waiting for my CHL but I plan to carry a Ruger SR9C until my G26 Gen 4 comes in.
NRA Life Member
TX CHL - Apr 2012
USAF 1989-2011

mrmagnum

Post by mrmagnum »

Sig P250 in a crossbreed supertuck

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

See here: http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=53751" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Bullitt

Post by Bullitt »

LCP .380 in front right trousers pocket in pocket holster. Nothing else in the pocket. No print.

JeepGuy79

Post by JeepGuy79 »

I carry a bag of skittles and some tea and carry them in my hoodie. "rlol"

g30sf in a supertuck at the 3:30-4 position. sometimes a 9 or 32 in the summer... krink in the cubby hole in the jeep.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”