CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Renewal timeline...

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Hi Guys,

My first CHL expiration date will arrive on October 5 of this year—my 60th birthday. What is a reasonable timeline these days from start to finish, and how long before the actual expiration should I count on taking a renewal class and initiating that process? Also, I can't remember.....my current license was obtained before the electronic fingerprints were required, so DPS haS a card on file for me, but not a "digital card." Am I required to submit an electronic fingerprint set with my renewal, or is the card already on file sufficient?

Thanks.

Crossfire in particular.....HELP!!! (.....since I'll be calling you for this when the time comes....)
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Renewal timeline...

Post by Keith B »

Once you get your renewal letter from DPS, then you can apply online. Just schedule your class as early as possible in the 6 months prior to your birthday. You should not need new fingerprints or photo. They will try to use the ones on file and notify you if they are not adequate.

Once you turn in your CHL-100 to DPS, it has been taking around 20-30 days for renewals. :thumbs2:

EDIT TO ADD: They will not send you a renewal letter until about 6 month s prior, so it ought to be coming soon.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Crossfire »

:iagree: What Keith said.

My, how time flies! How can it have been 5 years already!

See you around April 14, or May 5?
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Thanks guys!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

WildBill wrote:Took renewal class Feb 3rd.
Mailed CHL-100 to DPS by certified mail Feb 11th.
DPS received it Feb 13th.
DPS website status Feb 26th - Application Received.
DPS website status March 02 - License Mailed!
CHL actually mailed March 05 per postmark on envelope
Received in my mail box March 07th
24 days door-to-door :anamatedbanana

Much better than the 60+ days for my initial CHL.

It wasn't the same thrill as receiving my first CHL, but it was a
good feeling to get it.

BTW they used my old CHL photo, not the one from my Texas DL.

Do I need a renewal WallyWalk? :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MasterOfNone »

Most importantly, would he get the 50% discount because the new license is for the period after he turns 60? Or would he still pay the full fee because the license is issued before turning 60?
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

If you renew early, do you lose any time? For example, assume a license expires June 1st 2012 and the renewal is issued on April 1st.

Will the renewal license expire in 5 years on April 1st, 2017 or June 1st, 2017?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Crossfire »

The license expires on your birthday, regardless of when you complete the renewal process.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

WildBill wrote:Took renewal class Feb 3rd.
Mailed CHL-100 to DPS by certified mail Feb 11th.
DPS received it Feb 13th.
DPS website status Feb 26th - Application Received.
DPS website status March 02 - License Mailed!
CHL actually mailed March 05 per postmark on envelope
Received in my mail box March 07th
24 days door-to-door
My renewal last year crossed Thanksgiving, but even so almost exactly mirrored WildBill's timeline. From package sent Priority Mail to the postmark on the envelope containing the license was 26 days. DPS used the ink fingerprints already on file, and used the previous CHL photo, not DL photo.

Quick, easy, and painless. And the best part was being able to attend a half-day of ever-valuable instruction from Charles Cotton. :thumbs2:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

I didn't guess right. I took the renewal class on Saturday, Feb. 18 and mailed it in the following Monday although my license expires(d) mid-March. I was hoping that the few posts I've read about receiving the plastic in 3 to 3.5 weeks would hold true, but no. Luckily I have my trusty Utah license to carry with in the meantime. It won't expire until August. :thumbs2:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

Skiprr wrote:Quick, easy, and painless. And the best part was being able to attend a half-day of ever-valuable instruction from Charles Cotton. :thumbs2:
I also took my renewal from Charles. I wanted to get my money's worth so I attended the full day of instruction. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

WildBill wrote:
Skiprr wrote:Quick, easy, and painless. And the best part was being able to attend a half-day of ever-valuable instruction from Charles Cotton. :thumbs2:
I also took my renewal from Charles. I wanted to get my money's worth so I attended the full day of instruction. ;-)
I was going to take my renewal from Charles until I found out I did not need to qualify since this is my 3rd renewal. I just mailed in my info, I guess I will see how long it takes. My chl does not expire until September so I have plenty of time.

dukesean

Post by dukesean »

TAM and I are on a similar timeline :)

So I guess I will need to submit the online renewal request and payment before taking the renewal class?
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

dukesean wrote:TAM and I are on a similar timeline :)

So I guess I will need to submit the online renewal request and payment before taking the renewal class?
You can do it afterward; it just has to be sent in within the 6 months prior to your expiration, leaving time for DPS processing to get your new license in hand before the old one is invalid. The advantage to doing it ahead of time is you will be ready to send in your CHL-100 immediately after you complete your class as they will have your app on file ready to roll when they receive the CHL-100.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

testersbc
Posts in topic: 5

Post by testersbc »

my license expires in January. So i am just waiting for the letter from the state. Hoping it comes soon. :fire :fire

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”