Fun with the TSA

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Longshot38
Posts in topic: 2

Fun with the TSA

Post by Longshot38 »

So now that I am sitting at my gate I have time to share my expereience with the TSA today. Upon reach in the airport everything is in order and goes well. My pistol and spare magazines are locked up in an approved container and declared as they should be. All this goes off without a hitch. When I pass through screening the body scanner picks up my holster. So I show them the holster and the agents act as if they have never seen this and asked why I didn't check it with the firearm, to which my reply is that is is part of clothing and attar not part of a firearm. Then defer up the chain for what to do. Next guy comes over looks at it and say "It's not part of a gun" but he then defers up one more rung in the ladder before coming back and says he just has send it through x-ray and all will be fine. All this over a piece leather and plastic. It really amazes me how well the TSA fits in with all the other over achieving and excessively useful agencies run by the government.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Fun with the TSA

Post by pbwalker »

Seems like an unnecessary hassle to bring upon yourself. Why not just put it in the checked luggage?
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I think that is why it is titled "Fun with the TSA"

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I'm fairly certain that if you tried that in NJ, DC, or similar parts of the country, the best you could hope for would be to come away without your holster.

The other possibilities go rapidly downhill from there.

Never mind it's not against the law - things are done just because they can be, and those actions are backed by the full force of the government.

You won't win that battle.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Longshot38 wrote:So now that I am sitting at my gate I have time to share my expereience with the TSA today. Upon reach in the airport everything is in order and goes well. My pistol and spare magazines are locked up in an approved container and declared as they should be. All this goes off without a hitch. When I pass through screening the body scanner picks up my holster. So I show them the holster and the agents act as if they have never seen this and asked why I didn't check it with the firearm, to which my reply is that is is part of clothing and attar not part of a firearm. Then defer up the chain for what to do. Next guy comes over looks at it and say "It's not part of a gun" but he then defers up one more rung in the ladder before coming back and says he just has send it through x-ray and all will be fine. All this over a piece leather and plastic. It really amazes me how well the TSA fits in with all the other over achieving and excessively useful agencies run by the government.

Did they run for explosive testing. Maybe your are hiding a Nuke there, no? :anamatedbanana
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Why did you leave your holster on during the body scan? Did you leave your belt and shoes on too? :headscratch

couzin

Post by couzin »

WooHoo - body cavity search...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:Did you leave your belt and shoes on too?
I like the "fun with the TSA" post.
I fly almost weekly, they tell you to "empty your pockets" "remove your shoes and belt" and before you walk through, they say again "do you have anything in your pockets?"
I have never heard them ask if i had a holster on LOL
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

karl

Post by karl »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:Why did you leave your holster on during the body scan? Did you leave your belt and shoes on too? :headscratch
I will preface my response with this: I'm legitimately interested and am not being sarcastic. Do you do everything the TSA asks because they ask it or because it makes sense? I never take my belt off. The metal detectors never pick it up. I wouldn't remove my holster unless I first removed the belt. Makes sense to me.

I further my point by referring back to the OP. How mindless must a person become (directed towards the uniforms) that they cease to utilize common sense and intelligence? A reasonable individual would look at a holster and think critically. Is this piece of leather at risk of becoming part of a large scheme to commit domestic or international terrorism? Does it pose a security risk where it may danger the lives of you or anyone around you? No. "Thank you sir, have a safe flight.".

Someone give this imaginary TSA agent a medal.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

chuckybrown
Banned

Post by chuckybrown »

Excaliber, with all due respect.....we have today's problems because "we the sheeple" refuse to stand up en mass for our rights. While not throwing stones in glass houses, I'll admit to my part in this over regulated society.

Imagine a world where EVERY CHL'er refused to take off his belt/holster, every woman refused to throw away the 5.1 ounce conditioner, and people stood up to the disrespect dished out by these folks.

Airports would grind to a halt. Flights would stop.

Changes would be made.

But, alas.....we..the..sheeple......

Applause to Longshot38 and Karl. Keep the brass polished.
Chuckybrown

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Teamless wrote:
I fly almost weekly, they tell you to "empty your pockets" "remove your shoes and belt" and before you walk through, they say again "do you have anything in your pockets?"
First time I went through the "ray of death booth". They said "you have something in your pocket" I said "I only have a kleenex" They said "well that's something" and handed me a plastic bowl to put it in. I had not taken off my belt, so they had to "look behind" it. I also had my wallet so I had to remove it and they examined the whole thing inside and out. Now the wallet goes in the bowl, I assume at some point it will be stolen.

I'd love to waltz though with an empty holster, I'm just not that brave, and would really hate to miss my flight.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dave2 »

philip964 wrote:
Teamless wrote:
First time I went through the "ray of death booth". They said "you have something in your pocket" I said "I only have a kleenex" They said "well that's something" and handed me a plastic bowl to put it in. I had not taken off my belt, so they had to "look behind" it. I also had my wallet so I had to remove it and they examined the whole thing inside and out. Now the wallet goes in the bowl, I assume at some point it will be stolen.

I'd love to waltz though with an empty holster, I'm just not that brave, and would really hate to miss my flight.
I don't ever put my wallet through the X-ray machine. I've got phone #s memorized, data on my laptop backed up, and nothing irreplaceable in my carry-on or shoes, but if I accidentally go on an adventure the ID & credit cards in that wallet might be my only way to get home in time to keep my job.

So far the TSA hasn't cared. It doesn't set off metal detectors, and I always opt-out of the cancer machines.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

karl wrote:
Carry-a-Kimber wrote:Why did you leave your holster on during the body scan? Did you leave your belt and shoes on too? :headscratch
I will preface my response with this: I'm legitimately interested and am not being sarcastic. Do you do everything the TSA asks because they ask it or because it makes sense? I never take my belt off. The metal detectors never pick it up. I wouldn't remove my holster unless I first removed the belt. Makes sense to me.

I do it because it makes it easier on me to remove my belt and shoes and walk through than to be hasseled by every TSA yahoo in the terminal by leaving them on. All of my belts have metal hardware.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dave2 »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:
karl wrote:

I do it because it makes it easier on me to remove my belt and shoes and walk through than to be hasseled by every TSA yahoo in the terminal by leaving them on. All of my belts have metal hardware.
Same here, though now that the only two airports I'm ever in (DFW & SFO) seem to have turned off all their metal detectors maybe I'll skip that step too.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

here's your fun.....I fly (when I gotta) with metal knitting needles, there's you a weapon! never had anyone bat an eye either. But heaven heave the momma who forgets to dump the baby bottle!!!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”