Duplicate License

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tbogart
Posts in topic: 1

Duplicate License

Post by tbogart »

Is it possible to obtain a duplicate CHL? Thinking about one in the wallet - one in the car.

Divided Attention

Re: Duplicate License

Post by Divided Attention »

IIRC it is not legal to posses two active Texas CHL. Wiser than I will be along shortly. :tiphat:
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

tbogart wrote:Is it possible to obtain a duplicate CHL? Thinking about one in the wallet - one in the car.
In the car, you should be covered by the MPA (Motorist Protection Act), thus you would not need a CHL while you're in your car.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Welcome to the forum.

You cannot have two Texas CHL's; only one at a time. You really need to have you license on your person at all times in case you have to exit your vehicle or home and get off of your property while carrying. Just keep it with your drivers license as you have to show it when asked fro ID from a law enforcement officer if you are carrying.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

Do you not carry your wallet with you in the car? Where is your driver's license?
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

Drjfiremedic

Post by Drjfiremedic »

Keith B wrote:Welcome to the forum.

You cannot have two Texas CHL's; only one at a time. You really need to have you license on your person at all times in case you have to exit your vehicle or home and get off of your property while carrying. Just keep it with your drivers license as you have to show it when asked fro ID from a law enforcement officer if you are carrying.

:iagree:

scud runner

Post by scud runner »

tbogart wrote:Is it possible to obtain a duplicate CHL? Thinking about one in the wallet - one in the car.
You can't get a valid duplicate Texas CHL but you can get a Utah license. Keep your Texas CHL with your DL and proof of insurance. Keep the Utah license wherever you want as a backup.

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasTornado »

I think it's more for that panic moment when you realize you left your wallet at home and you have a weapon and NO ID.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I haven't ever been without both LTC and weapon, but I stole an idea from another thread and took a picture on my phone of my LTC,DL, and insurance card. I don't know if it would be accepted everywhere by every LEO, but it might get you by.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

Timely post. This last week I was helping another instructor update their presentation and was trying to find when the 'returning' licenses and penalty for not doing so changed. Best I can get is sometime between 2011 and 2015?

Section 411.184 is gone.

In fact, between GC §411.180 and GC §411.1871 my eyes can't find any reference to what should be done with duplicate (changed address/name/etc) or expired licenses. Is tucked in somewhere else?
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

Jusme wrote:I haven't ever been without both LTC and weapon, but I stole an idea from another thread and took a picture on my phone of my LTC,DL, and insurance card. I don't know if it would be accepted everywhere by every LEO, but it might get you by.
I'd thought about this too. My insurance card solely exits on my phone, I don't even have a paper copy. The one time I've been pulled over recently, I handed the officer my LTC & DL. He didn't ask for the insurance (they can pull that information on their system anyway) so I had no need to hand over my phone.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Scott B. wrote:

Timely post. This last week I was helping another instructor update their presentation and was trying to find when the 'returning' licenses and penalty for not doing so changed. Best I can get is sometime between 2011 and 2015?

Section 411.184 is gone.

In fact, between GC §411.180 and GC §411.1871 my eyes can't find any reference to what should be done with duplicate (changed address/name/etc) or expired licenses. Is tucked in somewhere else?
I don't recall there having ever been a requirement to return the expired old one. Granted, I didn't not get mine until 2002, but I've never been instructed to return any of mine after renewal. IIRC, the only instructions are to destroy the expired one.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

C-dub wrote:I don't recall there having ever been a requirement to return the expired old one. Granted, I didn't not get mine until 2002, but I've never been instructed to return any of mine after renewal. IIRC, the only instructions are to destroy the expired one.
That's a start. Where is that instruction located?
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Scott B. wrote:
C-dub wrote:I don't recall there having ever been a requirement to return the expired old one. Granted, I didn't not get mine until 2002, but I've never been instructed to return any of mine after renewal. IIRC, the only instructions are to destroy the expired one.
I think I've only seen it in the stuff when the new one arrives.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

C-dub wrote:
Scott B. wrote:
I think I've only seen it in the stuff when the new one arrives.
I'll post it here when mine ...finally... arrives

*insert tumbleweed here*

NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”