CHL Application - Internet or Mail

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TX RHino
Posts in topic: 1

CHL Application - Internet or Mail

Post by TX RHino »

I am taking my CHL class this weekend and will be sending my application in next week. Reading through the checklist for the CHL I see that I will have to mail some documents to the DPS. Should I just fill out the application on paper and submit it with the other paper work or do the application on line?

My concern was that doing part one way and then the rest the other way might make the process take longer.

Any advice on which is better??

MikeInTX

Re: CHL Application - Internet or Mail

Post by MikeInTX »

TX RHino wrote:I am taking my CHL class this weekend and will be sending my application in next week. Reading through the checklist for the CHL I see that I will have to mail some documents to the DPS. Should I just fill out the application on paper and submit it with the other paper work or do the application on line?

My concern was that doing part one way and then the rest the other way might make the process take longer.

Any advice on which is better??
You for sure want to do the Online application. It saves getting affidavits and a few other good things. It will tell you at the end exactly what you need to submit. Very simple.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

MikeInTX wrote:You for sure want to do the Online application
:iagree: 100%, it sure helps to be sure you haven't forgotten to fill in any blanks also!
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Mirage

Post by Mirage »

When you mail in an application you have to wait until the DPS sends you a letter back BEFORE you can have your fingerprints taken. This should add about 30 -35 days to the processing time before you get your license. I always recommend filling in the application online, PRINTING your checklist at that time, and setting up your fingerprint session. You can take the CHL class before or after filling the application online, but you have to have an application on file prior to having your prints taken.
Doyle
NRA Life Member
NRA Recruiter
NRA RSO
US Army Veteran 1966 - 1968

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

I took my class a LONG time before I applied for my CHL. Had I sent in the paper request, I would have been delayed because I didn't know that if you're a citizen born out of the country, you had to submit additional documentation. My instructor actually checked over our paperwork, and she didn't catch that one. When I finally got around to applying, I decided to do as much onlilne as possible. The online application caught the out of country birth, and included the citizen documentation check-off.

Drjfiremedic

Post by Drjfiremedic »

Internet application is a real straight forward process. It even schedules you electronic finger printing session. That is the only way i'd go.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

The online application is the way the DPS prefers to handle things as well. Really streamlines and speeds things up for everyone. :txflag:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

SkipB

Post by SkipB »

What TexasGal said. Do as much on line as you can. Speeds up the process.
Skip Bishop

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”