Mass Slaughter in Our Public Schools

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Will938
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Will938 »

Would the school be liable for failing to protect you?

I know the chances of that happening are extremely remote, but I think its already pretty rediculous to keep CHL and schools apart. Especially in tertiary education.

HankB

Post by HankB »

I think the only reason jihadis haven't struck at our schools is that their leaders recognize that deliberately striking at & murdering large numbers of American children would result in an anti-Moslem backlash that no amount of media-driven advocacy of dhimmitude would quench.

I think they were shocked at how the USA went in to Afghanistan after 9/11 - they didn't expect it at all. And even with the political correctness that's preventing us from doing what we need to do in both Afghanistan and Iraq, the jihadi leaders have got to be thinking along the lines of " . . . just how much can we get away with until we get a deliverable nuke?"

I don't think co-ordinated strikes on schools nationwide - with a large body count - would draw a yawn from our government.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "I don't think co-ordinated strikes on schools nationwide - with a large body count - would draw a yawn from our government."

' Gonna differ with ya on that one, Hank. Folks get especially riled up over kids. Methinks if the Feds did not jump on it with both feet, even small city governments would - on a much bigger scale even than what's happening with some of the recent actions dealing with illegal immigrants ...
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

HankB

Post by HankB »

Greybeard wrote:Quote: "I don't think co-ordinated strikes on schools nationwide - with a large body count - would draw a yawn from our government."

' Gonna differ with ya on that one, Hank. Folks get especially riled up over kids. Methinks if the Feds did not jump on it with both feet, even small city governments would - on a much bigger scale even than what's happening with some of the recent actions dealing with illegal immigrants ...
Greybead, perhaps I should have added the word "only" before "a yawn" to make my sentiments clearer . . . although I thought my first paragraph laid out my own idea of what would happen in response.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Hank - Comprendo.

The "Grossman" guy cited in the article in not necessarily a flake. He's a military historian, whose books "On Killing" and "On Combat" came highly recommended a few years back at DPS instructor renewal schools.

Another author, Gavin DeBecker (sp?) is also a good read (altho he is not necessarily pro-gun) with "The Gift of Fear" (focus on "pre-incident indicators".) IIRC, his post 9/11 follow-up book "Fear Less" touches on the belief that those in small-town America are probably some of the least likely to be (foreign) terrorist targets ...

JRG
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JRG »

Will938 wrote:Would the school be liable for failing to protect you?

I know the chances of that happening are extremely remote, but I think its already pretty rediculous to keep CHL and schools apart. Especially in tertiary education.

No, Texas schools are above the law with regards to suits.

JRG

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Not only are Texas schools above the law in this instance, they will insist that they are correct in keeping weapons-free school zones.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Will938

Post by Will938 »

JRG wrote:

JRG
how so, if you don't mind me asking. Some stipulation that they're free from the judicial system somewhere?

sparx
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sparx »

Unfortunately I tend to agree that schools and other "gun-free zones" will be the targets of the insane and misguided fools out there that have nothing better to do than harm innocents, and have always found it quite illogical that they have been made off-limits to CHL-holders by the politicians that feel they know what's best for us, or can be bought with a buck.

I've had the sig I'm using for a while now, and until those crippling laws are changed my views won't change... gun-free zones are terrifying as when a certified nut-with-a-gun* DOES appear, who will be around to counter?

*NOTE: Not to be confused with a gun nut... I'm one of those! ;-)
NRA, TSRA, TXGR, SAF, GOA & FPC
"I'm not terrified of guns, I'm terrified of gun-free zones!"

JRG
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JRG »

Will938 wrote:
JRG wrote:

JRG
how so, if you don't mind me asking. Some stipulation that they're free from the judicial system somewhere?
Yes, I cannot quote you chapter and verse, but they are like the cities, in some areas they cannot be sued.

Joe

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Venus Pax wrote:Not only are Texas schools above the law in this instance, they will insist that they are correct in keeping weapons-free school zones.
No one knows her real name ;-) , but we need to campaign for Venus to become Superintendent of HISD. Then maybe national office...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I just posted this one in a separate thread.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/02/ ... ed_st.html

Again, possibly to long to copy all, but this writer mentions possible focus on malls and churches ...

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

Skiprr wrote:
Venus Pax wrote:Not only are Texas schools above the law in this instance, they will insist that they are correct in keeping weapons-free school zones.
No one knows her real name ;-) , but we need to campaign for Venus to become Superintendent of HISD. Then maybe national office...
Well some of us know it.... ;-)

And I disagree, nothing worse than turning a perfectly good teacher into Administration.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Well I can imagine that the idea of a "weapons free school zone" will be given a proper burial at sea when and if someone(s) of a particular radical religious sect decides to make this poor decision...

I seriously doubt there will be any domestic adheirance to this policy after something like this...

But I will not be surprised to see the policy vigorously enforced for students, teachers, administrators and parents dropping off and picking kids up from school...The boundaries will be extended (outward), and every vehicle, bag and person will be required to and be subjected to screenings before entering the "zone"...

Even if you are just passing through, or nearby...

So more than likely it will just be easier if you leave your guns at home...Don't make a stink...Just move along people...Move along...Nothing to see here...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

casselthief
Banned

Post by casselthief »

stevie_d_64 wrote:Just move along people...Move along...Nothing to see here...

sorry, just made me think of him...

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”