Pleasure Pier Galveston

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pleasure Pier Galveston

Post by nightmare »

Shiloh wrote:I went to the pier on Saturday, January 11th, 2014. There is a new LARGE .30-06 sign posted on the wall next to the ramp you have to walk up to approach the entrance. Its a legal .30-06 sign with the proper language. Unfortunately I had to return to my vehicle and secure my handgun.
I would have returned to my vehicle and left. There's plenty of businesses that welcome me, my EDC, and my money.
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

CrimsonSoul
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CrimsonSoul »

Necro post is Necro. Anyone know if it's still posted? The texas3006 still says it's posted but the pleasure pier website, under prohibited items says "Unlicensed possession of a concealed weapon"
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

Yes, the signage still up on left side when you walk up to the ramp. We almost went on it last weekend while down there for a meeting. However at $20/couple just to walk on, we went back and had drinks at Fish Tales instead.

CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

DevilDawg wrote:Yes, the signage still up on left side when you walk up to the ramp. We almost went on it last weekend while down there for a meeting. However at $20/couple just to walk on, we went back and had drinks at Fish Tales instead.
Well that's misleading as all get out! Thanks for letting me know, though. :(
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

CrimsonSoul wrote:Necro post is Necro. Anyone know if it's still posted? The texas3006 still says it's posted but the pleasure pier website, under prohibited items says "Unlicensed possession of a concealed weapon"
I wonder if they're aware of the inconsistency between their website and their signage?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

Dave2 wrote:
CrimsonSoul wrote:Necro post is Necro. Anyone know if it's still posted? The texas3006 still says it's posted but the pleasure pier website, under prohibited items says "Unlicensed possession of a concealed weapon"
I wonder if they're aware of the inconsistency between their website and their signage?
My guess, so they can nail you $10 for parking. Seriously. I am not a fan of Galvatraz to be honest, but each to their own.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Divided Attention wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but does this not count as an amusement park? Are they not prohibited or am I confused? :confused5
No amusement parks in Lafitte's Campeche - Galveston county has a population of 300,000 and to qualify as an amusement park a facility has to be in a county of 2 million.

My illiterate reading of the law suggests anything intending to call itself an amusement park in Galveston doesn't get an automatic ban on handguns. They have to post 30.06 or 30.07. Then they get a ban on handguns.

The population requirement escaped my understanding for a while, but I believe it means the legislature took note of an important fact. The real magic kingdom isn't in the big cities, it's somewhere in a tent on a river bottom where the cell service doesn't reach and it's quiet enough, when the night critters settle down, to hear God sigh.

Naturally, a handgun is a fine companion in such circumstances. Not because you need it or have any fear. It's a fine companion because you have self-respect and you were raised right.

That's my thinking. Smart folk, those legislators. Until, of course, they begin to speak. That always breaks the spell.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScottDLS »

:rules: The Pleasure Pier is showed as owned by the City of Galveston, if they post 30.06 someone should complain to the AG and also the signs are not valid.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

That's good to know. I thought Fertitta owned everything now.
You may have the last word.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

If you go to http://arcg.is/1G8sYiw and search for R number R109231, it's shown as owned by the city. Has anyone sent a complaint to the AG yet? :smash: Do you have to be a resident of the city and/or county that the violation is to send in a complaint?
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Kenneth77
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Kenneth77 »

This is off there web site , so i'd say it's good to go.
leeproductsonline.com

oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oohrah »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:If you go to http://arcg.is/1G8sYiw and search for R number R109231, it's shown as owned by the city. Has anyone sent a complaint to the AG yet? :smash: Do you have to be a resident of the city and/or county that the violation is to send in a complaint?
Before you send a complaint to the AG, I think you're supposed to notify the entity first that they're in violation and ask them to remove the sign. If they don't comply within a certain timeframe, then you notify the AG, IIRC

Charles Cotton has posted some instructions here on the forum somewhere.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

oohrah wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:If you go to http://arcg.is/1G8sYiw and search for R number R109231, it's shown as owned by the city. Has anyone sent a complaint to the AG yet? :smash: Do you have to be a resident of the city and/or county that the violation is to send in a complaint?
Before you send a complaint to the AG, I think you're supposed to notify the entity first that they're in violation and ask them to remove the sign. If they don't comply within a certain timeframe, then you notify the AG, IIRC

Charles Cotton has posted some instructions here on the forum somewhere.
You are correct, I just skipped that step in my post - same question just with that step first.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Screamin Jimmy

Post by Screamin Jimmy »

I was there with family this past weekend, 5-21-16, and decided to eat at Bubba Gump's but we did not, nor did we intend to, enter the "amusement park" section. We didn't see any other way to enter BG's besides the ramp, so up we went. The large 30.06 sign is still posted on the left side as you go up the ramp, about 40ish ft. from the street. I was confused because I knew that a year-round amusement park was statutorily off-limits and didn't need a sign. (After reading this thread I now understand that PP may or may not be considered an official amusement park. I'll let the experts debate that.) Anyway, I thought maybe the sign was for the restaurant. However, upon entering Bubba Gump's there was the standard "unlicensed possession" sign right inside the door, which in my mind trumped the 30.06 sign on the ramp.

Which brings me to my question: If the 30.06 is indeed intended to apply to the amusement park portion and not the restaurant, and assuming it is in fact legal (whether it is or isn't, IDK), wouldn't it have made more sense to put it at the top of the ramp, at the actual entrance where you have to pay to ride the rides? I'd hate for someone to see that sign on their way to BG's and disarm unnecessarily because they thought it applied to the restaurant too.

James
4-26-14 class, 5-5-14 prints, 5-6-14 mailed, 7-10-14 PLASTIC!

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Screamin Jimmy wrote:I was there with family this past weekend, 5-21-16, and decided to eat at Bubba Gump's but we did not, nor did we intend to, enter the "amusement park" section. We didn't see any other way to enter BG's besides the ramp, so up we went. The large 30.06 sign is still posted on the left side as you go up the ramp, about 40ish ft. from the street. I was confused because I knew that a year-round amusement park was statutorily off-limits and didn't need a sign. (After reading this thread I now understand that PP may or may not be considered an official amusement park. I'll let the experts debate that.) Anyway, I thought maybe the sign was for the restaurant. However, upon entering Bubba Gump's there was the standard "unlicensed possession" sign right inside the door, which in my mind trumped the 30.06 sign on the ramp.

Which brings me to my question: If the 30.06 is indeed intended to apply to the amusement park portion and not the restaurant, and assuming it is in fact legal (whether it is or isn't, IDK), wouldn't it have made more sense to put it at the top of the ramp, at the actual entrance where you have to pay to ride the rides? I'd hate for someone to see that sign on their way to BG's and disarm unnecessarily because they thought it applied to the restaurant too.

James
The amusement park doesn't qualify under 46.035 unless it is over 75 acres (IT'S NOT) and in a county population over 1 million (IT'S NOT). So therefore the 30.06 is an unenforceable posting as the property is owned by the city.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”