Austin News on violence and guns

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 9

Austin News on violence and guns

Post by wgoforth »

The report was very good...untill she put in her unsubtantiated claim at the end, that "several notable studies have shown violent crimes go up with gun sales. Ya'll need to floood the comment section below the story.

http://weareaustin.com/news/top-stories ... 4829581054" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Austin News on violence and guns

Post by jimlongley »

wgoforth wrote:The report was very good...untill she put in her unsubtantiated claim at the end, that "several notable studies have shown violent crimes go up with gun sales. Ya'll need to floood the comment section below the story.

http://weareaustin.com/news/top-stories ... 4829581054" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't get my comment to post, I wonder if they have closed it. I left it on their FB page instead.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

I have just been accused of being a hypocrit for asking them to state their source.

According to another poster I needed to "use my brain" and look up the reports that were clearly stated in the video.... he continued on to accuse me of taking the MSM as the only source. When countered that I had read several studies/reports and refused to let MSM be my soul source and that he shouldn't assume from a few sentences that I and others were waiting to be spoonfed he called me a hypocrit. I am done responding, and this is why I usually don't weigh in on these things, but he burned my chaps! I will not be going to the range he works at ever, as he portraying the stereotypical, shortsighted "bubba" at the counter - especially where us "gals" are concerned! :mad5

stepping down off the soapbox - thank you for the vent time! I put the video up earlier this morning, that thread can be closed since it is running here as well now.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Divided Attention wrote:I have just been accused of being a hypocrit for asking them to state their source.

According to another poster I needed to "use my brain" and look up the reports that were clearly stated in the video.... he continued on to accuse me of taking the MSM as the only source. When countered that I had read several studies/reports and refused to let MSM be my soul source and that he shouldn't assume from a few sentences that I and others were waiting to be spoonfed he called me a hypocrit. I am done responding, and this is why I usually don't weigh in on these things, but he burned my chaps! I will not be going to the range he works at ever, as he portraying the stereotypical, shortsighted "bubba" at the counter - especially where us "gals" are concerned! :mad5

stepping down off the soapbox - thank you for the vent time! I put the video up earlier this morning, that thread can be closed since it is running here as well now.
Sounded like he was still thinking of the FBI studies mentioned earlier in the video. I noticed a couple of folks jumped him about being insulting.
I apologize as I searched and didn't see this video story posted here before I posted. If you had it first, mods please lock mine. Would you show us the link to yours so we can follow that one?

Thanks for having already commented on it! We don't need to let the media get away with such.
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Divided Attention

WGoforth - I "did my homework" and discovered the "insultor" is likely early 20's -funny how as he commented as I "learn how the world works" or something to that effect.

just wow!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Divided Attention wrote:WGoforth - I "did my homework" and discovered the "insultor" is likely early 20's -funny how as he commented as I "learn how the world works" or something to that effect.

just wow!
Now you know when you and I were that age we knew everything! :coolgleamA:
NRA Life Member

LSL
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LSL »

Hopefully this reply was added to "comments" list.

Lisa -- Check Texas DPS Concealed Handgun statistics to LEARN how statistically insignificant the numbers are for those who legally carry, holding a Texas CHL and who have been charged with a crime. While you might "swallow the camel" -- the gnat that you strain at is in state provided data. Should you be concerned with professional integrity -- please be a professional and view and analyze DPS data. Then you might find another story -- how CHL holders are law biding, and that it truly is the criminal that is responsible for crime statistics. They do it the old-fashion way -- illegally!
Noli Voluntare Usque Vocaris / lsl
SA XDM 3.8c 9mm and Ruger LC9 -- each in a <tripleTholsters.com> IWB
Walther P22

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Deja Vu
previous thread

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=55928" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still, I see no comments section/option ... and it's the second time today I went there :headscratch

Do you have to use something besides Firefox or what?
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Divided Attention

I use IE and it is below the video and transcript. It seems to take a bit to load, but they are there.

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Interesting that this Matthew Reavis who works at Reds in Pfluggerville says we are as biased as the other side.....sooooo if we have researched and come to a different conclusion we are biased. Doesn't that mean the only unbiased people are the ones that agree with him?? Isn't THAT biased?? Hoping he is representative of their staff. I doubt they would appreciate knowing he is saying "HE knows what he istalking about as he works at Reds."
NRA Life Member

mreavis

Post by mreavis »

I'm 25.

Too ladys I was actually talking to I do apologize if I offended you. Tone is hard to interpret on the internet. When I said "go use your brain" for example. I didn't mean to suggest you never had or needed to try it out. I was saying let your brain do the work for you not the media. If you reread what I said in a friendly but lecture sort of way you will get achieve the tone I was going for.

However, WGoforth, as the one I keep hearing complaints from, it easily could be argued the things you have been facebook messaging me and a few of the post on this topic are just as insulting to me.

Again though I never meant to insult anyone directly and I am entitled to my opinion. I do apologize one last time if I offended anyone. And I do expect you to leave me, my facebook, and my reputation in unconcerned communities alone. *I* don't want this to have to be a bigger deal.
Last edited by mreavis on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

In firefox the related stories and comments is absent ... in IE I see wgoforth's comment and dropping down to get the others

interesting

Thanks

It won't let me "Like" I hasve no "FaceBook"

Maybe that's why.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

LabRat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LabRat »

wgoforth wrote:The report was very good...untill she put in her unsubtantiated claim at the end, that "several notable studies have shown violent crimes go up with gun sales. Ya'll need to floood the comment section below the story.

Agreed. Left an email for the General Manager asking for a response to the "our research" comment and the assertion that more concealed carry means more crime. Let's see what that person says.

I also asked that this reporter be restricted from reporting untill the comments are explained or retracted.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

mreavis wrote:I'm 25.

Too ladys I was actually talking to I do apologize if I offended you. Tone is hard to interpret on the internet. When I said "go use your brain" for example. I didn't mean to suggest you never had or needed to try it out. I was saying let your brain do the work for you not the media. If you reread what I said in a friendly but lecture sort of way you will get achieve the tone I was going for.

However, WGoforth, as the one I keep hearing complaints from, it easily could be argued the things you have been facebook messaging me and a few of the post on this topic are just as insulting to me.

Again though I never meant to insult anyone directly and I am entitled to my opinion. I do apologize one last time if I offended anyone. And I do expect you to leave me, my facebook, and my reputation in unconcerned communities alone. *I* don't want this to have to be a bigger deal.
I'm famous! lol. Hardly see how the CHL community is an unconcerned community.
I couldn't find this on the news story comments, where is it??
Last edited by wgoforth on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Life Member

speedsix
Posts in topic: 2

Post by speedsix »

...when I was a lad, "journalistic reporter" was different from "creative writer"...now...not so much...

...this "thing" needs to be dealt with in a way that doesn't hurt Red's business...or show a poor light on CHLs...or this honored, respected forum....

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”