Probably an over discussed issue.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Craig8d8
Posts in topic: 2

Probably an over discussed issue.

Post by Craig8d8 »

But I can't find my exact answer by using the search. So...

I know a 30.06 must be 1". I know it can't be smaller than that but what if the letters are larger than 1"? Is that legal? I've been at one of our local hospitals in and out since Thursday. And every door I went it was either not marked or was printed with maybe 1/2" letters. Well I went out a different door this eve and noticed a huge 30.06 sign with 2" lettering.

What are your opinions?

Thanks guys!!

Ps: I snapped a pic on my iPhone. If anyone can post it up here for me I can email it to you!
Gen3 Glock 22-gone but kinda missed
Gen4 Glock 27-EDC-DeSantis IWB holster
Sig P238 two tone with rose wood grips

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Probably an over discussed issue.

Post by apostate »

The law says "at least one inch in height" so larger qualifies.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.30.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetFo ... CHL-16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
Craig8d8

Post by Craig8d8 »

Well heck. I guess I won't use that door again. Lol
Gen3 Glock 22-gone but kinda missed
Gen4 Glock 27-EDC-DeSantis IWB holster
Sig P238 two tone with rose wood grips

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

Maybe they thought the signs needed to average 1" and they were compensating for the smaller lettering on the other signs?

There is a school of thought that I have seen on these boards that once you have seen a compliant sign at any entrance you are forevermore on notice that the building is properly posted (on at least one entrance), and would be in violation if you later carry past an entrance that is not properly posted. That usually comes up when discussing locations where some entrances are not posted at all (as in certain Shopping Malls).

I have also seen some opinions that just reading about a posting here or on other sites is sufficient notice (again, most applicable when you go through an unmarked entrance after being told that one of the other entrances is properly posted).

I won't give a definitive opinion on either stance, since IANAL, and as far as I know, there is no applicable case law.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Don't forget either that cameras probably got you on record entering at each of the doors. And maybe even on tape taking a pic of their 30.06 sign. ;-)
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

Greybeard wrote:Don't forget either that cameras probably got you on record entering at each of the doors. And maybe even on tape taking a pic of their 30.06 sign. ;-)
Big freaking deal. I didn't get a gun and a gun license so I could run around being paranoid about everything (especially the law). Seems to be what this forum is about mostly... Purty sad when you use a gun forum to spread fear against your own. There is no way everyone can abide by the law. It's simply not possible. You walk into a store, you do your business and notice a 30.06 sigh on the way out... what do you do? Ya broke the law but nobody cares cause nobody knows and nothing bad happened when that law was broken SBFD. Some people here need to seriously get a life.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

one eyed fatman wrote:
Greybeard wrote:Don't forget either that cameras probably got you on record entering at each of the doors. And maybe even on tape taking a pic of their 30.06 sign. ;-)
Big freaking deal. I didn't get a gun and a gun license so I could run around being paranoid about everything (especially the law). Seems to be what this forum is about mostly... Purty sad when you use a gun forum to spread fear against your own. There is no way everyone can abide by the law. It's simply not possible. You walk into a store, you do your business and notice a 30.06 sigh on the way out... what do you do? Ya broke the law but nobody cares cause nobody knows and nothing bad happened when that law was broken SBFD. Some people here need to seriously get a life.
Easy there big guy. He was joking. Mostly.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

C-dub wrote:
one eyed fatman wrote:
Easy there big guy. He was joking. Mostly.
:biggrinjester: I think somebody needs a hug.

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

That's exactly why I have to take Prozac.

danpaw

Post by danpaw »

Is it even legal for a one eyed fatman to carry a gun anyway?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

danpaw wrote:Is it even legal for a one eyed fatman to carry a gun anyway?
Carry, probably. There was even that blind guy up in NY, I think, where a judge ordered the police to return all of his guns to him after they had confiscated them after he accidentally shot himself in the leg. So, I don't know about carrying, doubt they could pass the range qualification, but even a blind person still retains their right to own a firearm as long as there isn't some other restriction. ;-)
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

danpaw

Post by danpaw »

Yeah, you're right. I shoot with one eye closed anyway.

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

one eyed fatman wrote:Ya broke the law but nobody cares cause nobody knows and nothing bad happened when that law was broken SBFD. Some people here need to seriously get a life.
Doesn't that violate forum rule 1?
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

gringo pistolero wrote:
one eyed fatman wrote:Ya broke the law but nobody cares cause nobody knows and nothing bad happened when that law was broken SBFD. Some people here need to seriously get a life.
Doesn't that violate forum rule 1?
SBFD = Speciality Board of Fluency Disorders. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

One might say that's pretty big talk for a one eyed fat man. But I've seen the result of that on TCM, so I'll just say here's hoping for a a nice rain shower this afternoon for everybody.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”