Carrying while on business travel???

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying while on business travel???

Post by gringo pistolero »

Hola Gato wrote:I would rather be receiving unemployment benefits than my family receiving a life insurance check.
:iagree:

I can get a new job. People do that every day. But I only know one man who came back from the dead and that was 2000 years ago.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Shinesintx

Post by Shinesintx »

Kythas wrote:I have carried on business travel but have decided it's too much trouble. Note this is my personal opinion and you may feel differently.

Mainly, I don't like to check bags. I've had bags get delayed several times, and the last time I traveled with my firearm my bag was lost by the airline for two days. That's two days where the airline itself had no idea where my suitcase was, and I had no idea where my gun was. That was the last time I checked a bag and, for obvious reasons, the last time I carried my gun on a business trip.

Which is why the Sig stays home...and the Kahr goes in the checked bags.

Rayden

Post by Rayden »

I am bring back this old thread ... I will be flying Southwest to northwest Texas for business. I will be taking my pocket gun with me for the first time on business travel. Anyone had any issues with Southwest in regards to checking bag with firearm? What box and locking mechanism can anyone recommend?

:patriot:

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Fortunately I changed jobs and am now in a position to decide where and when I travel....at least most of the time. Also fortunately, those times when I'm forced to travel don't require me to leave the state or go anywhere I can't legally carry. So basically, I don't fly, and I pass on any travel outside the state unless the state is gun friendly and I can drive. I'm also getting to be an old geezer and I have the good fortune to be able to make a personal choice for my or my family's safety as a priority over my employment. If you're not yet in such a situation about the only things you can do is work and make the choices that will put you in such a situation, and in the meantime, make realistic judgements about when your safety is seriously enough at risk to forgo your current employment. I feel naked when I'm not carrying so I understand your dilemma, but if my company put me in situations where I was at serious risk and couldn't carry I'd be looking for another job. Realistically though, I was in just such a job before I had my CHL and what mostly changed isn't the risk, but my attitude about it.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

AlaskanInTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

I also drive where possible. But I would definitely fly 7 hours v drive for 14. In any event, I absolutely never take a firearm with me when flying. Way too much of a hassle.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

AlaskanInTexas wrote:In any event, I absolutely never take a firearm with me when flying. Way too much of a hassle.
I've flown numerous times with a firearm and never had any hassle at all. On what experience do you base your conclusion?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

Jumping Frog wrote:
AlaskanInTexas wrote:In any event, I absolutely never take a firearm with me when flying. Way too much of a hassle.
I've flown numerous times with a firearm and never had any hassle at all. On what experience do you base your conclusion?
It is just a pain in the neck to check the bag in the first place. And then I have always had to chat with the TSA folk when I drop off my bag. Between that, vague worries about somehow ending up being diverted to a city where I can't have the firearm, and concerns about having the firearm out of my control, it just isn't worth it for me to take it with me.

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

The company I work for is based out of New Jersey and ofcourse we have all sorts of rules about not being able to have a gun on company properly/vehicles/whatever. They even consider a car I rent once a month to be off limits for me to carry; though they are paying for it completely. My solution is to carry when I travel and not say a darn word about it to anyone. I travel a lot to baton rouge and have seen my fair share of shady people enough to risk taking my gun. I would say atleast 10 out of 25 people in our Houston office carry and keep a gun in their car in the parking lot. We all carry anyway and just don't make it known to the whole office whats going on.Im sure it helps our office manager loves to hunt so he doesn't care long as HR doesn't find out.

The main issue we have is we do a lot of railroad, refinery stuff so we cant carry there. Luckly I don't have to go out to these middle of no where places to do our testing.
Last edited by winters on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bigity

Post by bigity »

I read this thread and am glad I work for a company that supports our right to carry. Luckily I drive for business travel, not fly, and remain in Texas.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”