Is it legal to carry in the Alamo?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Doug.38PR
Posts in topic: 3

Is it legal to carry in the Alamo?

Post by Doug.38PR »

I was visiting San Antonio this weekend and went to the Alamo. I wasn't sure so I left my gun in the car to be on the safe side. Is it legal to carry a gun inside the Alamo grounds? or is it considered a State Park?

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

The last time I was there it had a gunbuster sign, not 30.06 compliant. It is owned by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas and is not a state park.

I am fairly certain they would have to post 30.06 to prevent you from packing.

I packed.

Kind of ironic -if the Cradle of Texas Liberty did not allow firearms?

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

TX Rancher
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TX Rancher »

It's been awile since I've been there, but I thought it was privately owned...not a state park. I also don't remember 30.06 signs anywhere.

If I'm not mistaken, it's under the control of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. But my memory could be fading...

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I did but that was 3 yrs ago. Did not see even a ghost buster then.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
Doug.38PR

Post by Doug.38PR »

didn't see Ghostbuster or 30.06. I did see some kind of LEOs with cowboy hats and guns walking around. Couldn't tell if they were county sheriff or park ranger. (not that that means no guns)

Smokewagon

Post by Smokewagon »

I saw those same guys and assumed they were park rangers. We had been on the river walk and it was to far to walk back to the car and disarm. Carried without problem. :txflag:
Texas friendly, spoken here.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I am not sure if the policy is still in place...It has been a few years and I certainly stand to be corrected...But never assume anything...

It had been discussed years ago that you could "check in" your carry piece at the park office without much to do...And retrieve it after you complete your visit to the Alamo grounds...

But that was the extent of the discussion, and since I have not visited in years, I cannot attest to the accuracy of that procedure still being in place...I never got a chance to find out personally...

It is a rather ironic situation, I agree...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by KBCraig »

http://www.thealamo.org/asked.html#fifteen
Who Owns The Alamo?

The Alamo is owned by the State of Texas and operated by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. Although many believe that Alamo is only the church, or Shrine, it is actually a 4.162 acre complex composed of original structures dating back to the mission period, a gift museum, a library, meeting hall, support facilities, and gardens

In the first years of CHL, DRT banned carry. The Alamo Rangers were known to engage in some "racial profiling", by walking up to middle aged white folks wearing fanny packs and giving them verbal notice that firearms were forbidden. (Not even asking if they were carrying, just informing them that it was prohibited. :roll: )

These days, with preemption in place, the Alamo can't be posted 30.06.

The last time I was there was in 2000, and there was a tiny notice as part of a brass plaque on a wall. Not compliant at all, and no other signage. They were more concerned with flash photography.

Kevin
Last edited by KBCraig on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I believe that the Alamo is currently legally owned by the state of Texas and under the management of the DRT. This means it cannot be posted for 30.06 carry. A quick research through Google shows that Texas bought it in 1883, turned it over to San Antonio to manage, and then over to the DRT for management but it is still owned by Texas.

As a side note, the Alamo Rangers are private security guards employed by the Alamo and are not peace officers. But, the Park Rangers are part of the city and are peace officers. I believe they have changed the name of the department to the Park Police but it may still say ranger on it somewhere. These are the guys in green uniforms on the Riverwalk in San Antonio (which is a city park, BTW).
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
Doug.38PR

Post by Doug.38PR »

On that note, I did carry on the Riverwalk. Didn't see anything saying I couldn't. Cities can't post notices apart from 30.06 that people can't carry concealed can they?

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Doug.38PR wrote:On that note, I did carry on the Riverwalk. Didn't see anything saying I couldn't. Cities can't post notices apart from 30.06 that people can't carry concealed can they?
Cities can't regulate carry at all. Period.

Kevin

Syntax360

Post by Syntax360 »

I sure hope it is :shock:. I was there last September and didn't see anything 30.06 or even a ghost busters sign.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Syntax360 wrote:I sure hope it is :shock:. I was there last September and didn't see anything 30.06 or even a ghost busters sign.
There are some places where it is just plain "right" to be carrying. Has nothing to do with safety or protection but the Alamo is a shrine to RKBA.

razoraggie

Post by razoraggie »

Correct me if I am wrong....but aren't state parks "legal"? That was something that stood out in my CHL class. I remember that Federal Parks are off limits, but the only Federal Park in Texas is Big Bend. Something to the effect that Texas will not allow the Federal Government purchase land within our state.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

razoraggie wrote:Correct me if I am wrong....but aren't state parks "legal"? That was something that stood out in my CHL class. I remember that Federal Parks are off limits, but the only Federal Park in Texas is Big Bend. Something to the effect that Texas will not allow the Federal Government purchase land within our state.
and Guadalupe
http://www.us-national-parks.net/state/tx.htm
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”