CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Moby
Posts in topic: 2

Carrying in a Texas state park

Post by Moby »

http://nraila.org/gun-laws.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I recently joined the NRA again and am getting emails with info in them.
I saw this link today and after searching the forums with "state parks"I didn't see an answer.

I have a camping trip coming up in Oct. in Cedar Hill State Park.
Can I carry there?

The NRA map seems to say no. But I have a Texas CHL,seems odd Texas wouldn't let me carry in a park.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

74novaman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying in a Texas state park

Post by 74novaman »

TANSTAAFL

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RPB »

That or "State Park" in quotes for 37 more pages of verification/discussion which lead to that conclusion ;-) :mrgreen:
http://texaschlforum.com/search.php?key ... te+Park%22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(You are faster than I was :lol: )
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

PROBLEM-Warning-Caution-DANGER WILL RODGERS
Cedar Hill State Park
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/cedar-hill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cedar Hill State Park
History http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks ... rk-history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The park was acquired in 1982 and was opened in 1991.

Cedar Hill State Park is located on FM 1382 and the eastern shore of Joe Pool Lake in Cedar Hill, Texas
PROBLEM
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fi ... /joe_pool/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joe Pool Lake
Reservoir Controlling Authority
US Army Corps of Engineers

PO Box 872
Cedar Hill, Texas 75104
(972) 299-2227

Your CHL is no good on the lake and other laws allowing you to carry under MPA are disregarded/do not apply on that Federally controlled water
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
So, I wouldn't go into the water ...
US ARMY COE almost always owns a bit of land above/below/surrounding a reservoir they control. maps would be good

I'd research this more who collects the park entrance fees. TPWD etc .. I'm late for church :???:
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
Moby
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Moby »

The state collects the fee's.
So my understanding reading the appreciated offered threads is I can carry as long as I'm not on the lake.
Is this correct?
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

If you have a PDF reader like Adobe acrobat reader (or other free pdf reader) and can see well ...
Joe Pool map from USACOE with government property lines
http://swf67.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/joep ... oePool.bmp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might call TPWD to ask where boundaries are since TPWD says you can carry in State Parks but acknowleges that you can't on ACOE property. ACOE always tells me they don't know and to look at their map :banghead: I've e-mailed ACOE before and they e-mailed me "more maps" on other lakes ... I never could make much sense out of them and asked for GPS coordinates of boundaries;l they reply that they don't know, but there "should be" some kind of brass markers buried somewhere, maybe under the dirt or something that show where their property lines are, but that they don't have fences always ...

IIRC, a park ranger or ACOE person is a member of this forum, I have no beef with them, but the Federal regulations need changing.

Note: IIRC, the US Houseor Senate may have passed a resolution forbidding the ACOE to use any money budgeted last year for the enforcement of prohibiting licensed concealed carry for one year... but I forget the details or if it became "law" or what

You might call the NRA and ask :thumbs2: then they'll continue in the direction of where the squeeky wheel is.
SEE
http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/news- ... ps&st=&ps=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nunnelee Amendment Passes in U.S. House Committee on Appropriations

Posted on April 25, 2012
Fairfax, Va. – During consideration of the FY 2013 Energy and Water Development Related Agencies Appropriations bill, Congressman Alan Nunnelee (MS-01) offered an amendment to allow a law-abiding citizen to legally possess firearms on Army Corps of Engineers Water Resource Development lands. This amendment passed by a voice vote.

Also see
May 21, 2012

http://www.thegunmag.com/ccrkba-grassro ... ve-report/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S.5326—An amendment to allow citizens to possess firearms on Army Corps of Engineers Water Resources Development lands was added to the FY2013 Energy and Water Development Related Agencies Appropriations Bill. Additionally several other amendments have been added to S. 5326 ....

The bill now goes to the Senate where a number of anti-gun zealots could halt it progress.
Call/Fax US representatives and CANDIDATES (the candidates might pay attention !!! ) about the problem
I'm no lawyer

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Moby wrote:The state collects the fee's.
So my understanding reading the appreciated offered threads is I can carry as long as I'm not on the lake.
Is this correct?
Not exactly, because ACOE owns a boundary of property AROUND THE LAKE which is dry, not in the lake too; as determined by their property boundaries, if you can find them. SUPPOSEDLY THEY ARE BRASS/ CONCRETE MARKERS I've never seen one)

I have similar issues

San Gabriel River, controlled by Brazos River Authority it's ok to carry, paddle downstream to some invisible boundary and it's the upper end of Lake Georgetown, owned by ACOE and illegal to carry, so throw gun away, keep paddling till I get past the dam and after a mile or so there's an invisible boundary where it's the river again and I can carry again till I reach Granger Lake, and have to throw my gun away again ... then after paddling through the lake and past the dam a mile or so to the other invisible boundary, ... it's the river again and ...

Now if I paddle the Lampassas/Brazos river I'll get to Stillhouse Hollow Lake http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stillhouse_Hollow_Lake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where the invisible lines in the water boundaries dictate where I must throw the gun overboard before crossing the line into the federal owned water.
The U.S Boundary Line, the corners of which are marked with concrete markers, defines the limits of this public land. The boundary markers are generally topped with a brass cap, which is usually about 4 inches above ground level. ,
I've never seen one though. Not while paddling in Texas River Authority waters which enter US ACOE lakes ... I avoid those places so far, but pay to stock fish in them I'm not allowed to go there to catch :mad5
Last edited by RPB on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I have an E-mail from about 2010, from Georgetown ACOE telling me that I can't have a gun in my car on their parking lot (under Motorist protection act) doesn't matter if I have a CHL or not.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34417&p=405766&hili ... rk#p405754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whitney is another dilemma, State Park, USACOE lake.

Best advice I can give you is:
1) Call TPWD/State Park there, ask where you can go and where you can't ... get it in writing/letter/e-mail printed if possible.
2) Call the NRA.

And,
3) write & call your congressmen/candidates
http://www.nraila.org/search.aspx?s=Arm ... 0Engineers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

September 23, 2011
S. 1588 “The Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act” Introduced In The SenateS. 1588: Urge Your Senators To Cosponsor And Support This Important Legislation
June 28, 2011
H. R. 1865, The Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act- House

May 13, 2011
H.R. 1865, The Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act Introduced - House
House H.R. 1865
H.R. 1865: Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act of 2011
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr1865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Senate S. 1588:
S. 1588: Recreational Land Self-Defense Act of 2011
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/s1588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

jocat54

Post by jocat54 »

I can and do carry in state parks....it's know as concealed and I don't tell anyone. It would be the same for coe. Not saying it's always legal...I just don't tell.
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

My understanding is that the Penn Farm was acquired by the State of Texas, not COE. I understand the gray area around the like itself since it is obviously controlled by the COE. But the campgrounds and especially the hiking trails that are a significant distance from the lake should be under TPW control as the agent for the State of Texas.

I've specifically talked to the TPW rangers about CHL. They believe that it is OK and that they control the camping area. I haven't found any of them willing to discuss where the State Park ends and the COE jurisdiction begins.

We used to visit the Cedar Breaks campground in Georgetown but no longer do because it is definitely COE and they are quite militant about it for more than just CHL. We now visit Cedar Hill SP frequently. Since I'm no longer tied to camping on just the weekends, we are there in the middle of the week and it can be very isolated (which is a good thing to us) There is no way that I would be there and solely dependent on a very infrequent ranger patrol, if you understand what I'm saying.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

RPB wrote:PROBLEM-Warning-Caution-DANGER WILL RODGERS
Who's Will Rodgers? :headscratch

[youtube][/youtube]
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

sjfcontrol wrote:
RPB wrote:PROBLEM-Warning-Caution-DANGER WILL RODGERS
Who's Will Rodgers? :headscratch

:smilelol5: "rlol" busted, I always changed the channel when that show (Lost in Space) came on;
Before coffee, Will Robinson morphs into Will Rogers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Rogers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Old age is wonderful, every 5 minutes, it's a new day.
Will Rogers
I'm no lawyer

Bullwhip

Post by Bullwhip »

RPB wrote:I have an E-mail from about 2010, from Georgetown ACOE telling me that I can't have a gun in my car on their parking lot (under Motorist protection act) doesn't matter if I have a CHL or not.
Sounds like they dont' even know their own rules.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”