CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Glock_Tacular
Posts in topic: 27

Bad Experience

Post by Glock_Tacular »

Hi Fellow Texans, :txflag:

I've finally decided to join this forum because my LEO buddy suggested it to me after my bad experince I had with a resturant in N. Texas. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had some bad experiences with carrying concealed into an establishment that you, as a CHL holder, were allowed to carry in. How did you respond and what did they tell you the reason was that you couldnt carry into their establishment.

Thanks!
CHL - May 2012
P.P.O - May 2012
[Pre-paid legal service]

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Bad Experience

Post by carlson1 »

Welcome to the Forum. I have not had any bad experiences anywhere.

I would like to hear to what happened to you. :bigear:

Topic author
Glock_Tacular

Post by Glock_Tacular »

Well I'm not sure of the rules on naming the establishment but lets just say it had great scenic views. :drool:

Anyways, I was enjoying my meal and watching the World series game when I was approched by the GM that was there. He asked if he could pull me to the side and ask me a question. Knowing what it was about I gladly said yes and followed him to the front door. There he explained to me that he saw a rather large buldge out of the side of my 2XL shirt and he realized it was a gun. He said he is aware of the Texas gun laws but they only allow LEO in with a handgun. I briefy explained to him that I am a licensed CHL holder and I have to the right to be concealed into establishments that dont fall under the 30.06 code. But he insisted that I take my gun to my car or will have to ask me to leave. Me being the idiot that I am took my gun to my car came back and finished my meal. But when I went home I called the corperate hotline to file a complaint and within 10 minutes the regional manager called, apologized and offered me a gift card because he and his GM didn't fully asses the situation before they acted. In the end, he stated that he was going to follow up with all his GM's of the area so if this come about again they wont deny or offend anyone of our rights as a CHL holder of Texas. :txflag:

So its was a bittersweet experience but I think this is one up for his establishment if he follows though and address this to his GMs to not let this be a misunderatanding of the gun laws again.
CHL - May 2012
P.P.O - May 2012
[Pre-paid legal service]

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Good for you. You did it the right way.

I would have not paid for my food and left.

Your way you made an enemy a friend. Thanks for sharing.

Topic author
Glock_Tacular

Post by Glock_Tacular »

Believe me if I was prepared to deal with him calling the police or do whatever he needed to feel just about himself I wouldve left and not paid.

But on a side note these are the cards I made that my LEO from Ohio inspired me to make to pass out for my next bad experience.

Ohio has ones very similar to this.
Attachments
lp2.jpg
lp.jpg
CHL - May 2012
P.P.O - May 2012
[Pre-paid legal service]

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Glock_Tacular I have seen something similar before. I would like to get a few hundred of them to carry. I thought the TSRA or maybe the NRA had them for sale, but I have not been able to find them.

Edited: I found some here: https://www.tsra.com/components/com_vir ... 19e43a.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.tsra.com/index.php?page=sho ... Itemid=115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
Glock_Tacular

Post by Glock_Tacular »

Ya I thought that they had some too, but I got tired of searching and just made them myself. :woohoo
CHL - May 2012
P.P.O - May 2012
[Pre-paid legal service]

A-R
Posts in topic: 5

Post by A-R »

Glock_Tacular wrote:Believe me if I was prepared to deal with him calling the police
You sure about that? Based on what you posted had you refused to leave and/or put your gun I your vehicle you'd be I violation of PC 30.06 Criminal Trespass by CHL ... the business is NOT required to post a sign; they can give you "effective notice" orally and it's just as legally valid as a sign.

Next time, don't argue, don't discuss, just get up and leave. If you want to comply by storing your gun in your car and the return that's up to you.

And also, might want to improve your concealment. If a restaurant manager can spot your gun, it may be more obvious of a "bulge" than you think.

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AEA »

:iagree: :thumbs2:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jimlongley »

A-R wrote:
Glock_Tacular wrote:Believe me if I was prepared to deal with him calling the police
You sure about that? Based on what you posted had you refused to leave and/or put your gun I your vehicle you'd be I violation of PC 30.06 Criminal Trespass by CHL ... the business is NOT required to post a sign; they can give you "effective notice" orally and it's just as legally valid as a sign.

Next time, don't argue, don't discuss, just get up and leave. If you want to comply by storing your gun in your car and the return that's up to you.

And also, might want to improve your concealment. If a restaurant manager can spot your gun, it may be more obvious of a "bulge" than you think.
:iagree:

You have been given notice, effective under the law, I would have handed him my card and left. I print my own.
Attachments
CHL.JPG
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Seabear

Post by Seabear »

:iagree: With A R.

Luckily you did the right thing by not waiting for him to call the police. If they had come they would NOT back you up.

Like I always tell my students, "the first letter in CHL stands for concealed." Apparently you didn't do that well enough or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I am glad you handled it properly and have contacted the main office to get this activity stopped. Good job. :thumbs2:

Now, let's think about something and play what if.

What if the next time you are there and your weapon becomes obvious, and other patrons become nervous and complain or express concerns to management. In an effort to please the majority, he could once again ask you to leave or put your gun in your car to keep the peace. Guess what, once again you will have been given oral/verbal notice, whether coorporate likes it or not.

Not picking, just trying to point out the facts. I always say that carrying a concealed handgun is a "Social Responsibility", and it is our job to do it correctly and safely.

Keep carrying and be safe, :tiphat:
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

If the manager tells you that you can't carry, then you can't carry. That is effective verbal notice.

I agree with A-R that if the restaurant manager could make it out, then you should work on your concealment. Do you use IWB or OWB? I carry a full size Springfield XD-40 with a Minotaur IWB holster and I can wear just a t-shirt without it being noticeable.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

A-R wrote:

:iagree:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

At the beginning, you were well within your rights to carry there, once notified, you are no longer within your rights

Im going to :deadhorse: but I agree with many of the other posters.
Once you were told to remove the weapon, thats it.

That is all that is needed for effective notice, and also understand, that ALSO means you can no longer carry there in the future, until such time as the verbal notice is recinded.
Remember, once notified, always notified. (If the notification is in writing - as in posted on the door - then until the notification is removed from the door) (if verbal, then verbal recinsion is necessary)

If you were wearing a 2XL shirt (we don't know what size you should be wearing without a weapon) and it was bulging out, showing an obvious weapon, then you need to change the way you dress, carry or sit.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 6

Post by MadMonkey »

Sounds like a Hooters maybe?

I've carried in all of the "scenic views" places, at least the well-known ones, with no issues (I like the food ;-)). You may need to change your carry method as others have stated.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”