time getting comfortable?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: time getting comfortable?

Post by gdanaher »

It takes less time to get comfortable if the device is smaller and easier to conceal. I have a compact CZ that isn't all that compact. It works well with a fanny pack or owb holster if my clothing is long enough. My Sig P238 fits anywhere. It might not have the stopping power, but it is easier for me to handle as a concealed weapon.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Welcome!!!

My Wally-Walk got a lot of the jitters out, and the rest of that day help me get that natural with it / naked without it feeling. Now my conciousness has to work the opposite way. I carry everywhere that I'm allowed to. So I have to consciously think about disarming when I'm headed somewhere that I cannot carry. Unfortunately, my job does not allow concealed carry. So on especially on Mondays when I make that last couple of turns to get into the parking lot, I have to remind myself to leave it in the lockbox in the car. Also, I almost did a oops last week when I took my lil'n to the doctor for his check-up. I haven't been to a doctor's office since I got my CHL, and I forgot to do a drive by check before getting out of the car. Had to do the "I forgot something" walk-back after getting right up to the door.

Best advice that I got when I first started (not all that long ago) is to make your adjustment when you get out of the car or stand up & don't touch it until the next time you get out of your car or stand up.

Bottom line, is carrying's like riding a bike. That uneasy feeling goes away the more you do it.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

I wear a back brace a lot of the time, and my LCP slips right into my 6-o-clock. (In a pocket holster.) When I'm not wearing the brace I usually just slip it into my right hip pocket.
I've tried all kinds of stuff for my SR9c. It too will go to my 6-o-clock when wearing the brace, but it's large enough to be uncomfortable there. I just can't seem to get along with an IWB. I even tried a Crossbreed Supertuck. Of course, the back brace makes any kind of IWB unusable while I've got it on, but I couldn't even get comfortable with one when I wasn't wearing the brace.
I eventually settled on a Deep Concealment ULTRA. While that would mean popping the buttons on my shirt for a fast draw, it is still comfortable, and accessible from all positions (sitting, standing, laying down) with or without the back brace. I usually wind up with the SR9c in the DCU and the LCP at my 6-o-clock as my BUG. I like the DCU enough that I'm going to check out a good leather shoulder holster. It'd be nice to not have the band across the front of my chest.

Topic author
cdalgo79
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cdalgo79 »

Thanks for the replies. I have now carried several times and have gotten mutch more comfortable.
This gun will shoot with mag out. As far as the safety being off in the pic I cleared the chamber and visualy inspected the chamber before taking the pic. When doing a magazineless safety check on the p938 you have to disengage the safety to rack the slide or check the chamber that is why it was off I carry locked and cocked with safety on. I new after I posted the pic I would be notified of the safety being off by concerned posters thanks for the concern. After taking the picture it was reloaded an reinserted into holster for defense of my deer lease camper and person.
Class taken 8-25-12
Online app. 8-26-12
Documents submitted online 8-28-12
Fingerprints submitted. 9-5-12
background under review 9-7-12
Background complete 9-20-12
Manufacturing 9-21-12
Mailed. 9-22-12. Postmarked 9-25-12
Plastic received. 9-27-12

Ipconfig

Post by Ipconfig »

I have been carrying for about 2 weeks now and only once was I nervous. I decided to forgo my usual fast food and hit a Chik-Fil-A and when I walked in there were 9 DPS officers partaking in their lunch. Altho I knew everything was perfectly legal and I was not imprinting, I was suddenly very nervous about carrying. Nothing happened and I wasn't bothered but it sure made my lunch taste funny.

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

I've been carrying for a few weeks now and the only time I got nervous was Sunday when I went into Americus Diamonds, a large diamond/jewelry store in San Antonio. I made sure it wasn't posted but knowing there were so many off-duty SAPD working security in that store made me very self-conscious. I got over it pretty quick though and played it cool :coolgleamA:
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”