Is "Open Carry" allow on your premises / property?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is "Open Carry" allow on your premises / property?

Post by Jumping Frog »

Pep wrote:I live in a HOA and I'm certain that if I was open carrying while mowing the lawn or washing the car at least one of my neighbors would raise the flag and I'd get a visit from the Houston HPD.
It wasn't until I open carried around the yard in my last home, and then smelted down wheelweights for bullet casting on my driveway, that I discovered 4 of my 5 closest neighbors were all fellow gun nuts.

Sometimes you can be neighbors with people for years and know nothing about them.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Pep wrote:I live in a HOA and I'm certain that if I was open carrying while mowing the lawn or washing the car at least one of my neighbors would raise the flag and I'd get a visit from the Houston HPD.
It wasn't until I open carried around the yard in my last home, and then smelted down wheelweights for bullet casting on my driveway, that I discovered 4 of my 5 closest neighbors were all fellow gun nuts.

Sometimes you can be neighbors with people for years and know nothing about them.
:iagree:

I have a neighbor where the female is wanting to get a CHL and her hubby is a convicted felon (plea bargain thing) and they are trying to get his past cleaned up but she's wanting a CHL ...
People tell you all sorts of stuff
Other neighbors gave me a load of asphalt free for a driveway and other neighbors bring me home made bread and home-made jelly every 2 weeks or so.... I guess they feel their house is safer when they are at work or away when I'm out in my yard .. I never said I'd do anything to protect their stuff though.... I do have a phone ... :lol:

I used to open carry a 12guage double barrel down Westeimer in the 1970s, wouldn't now probably... Back when you could hunt rabbits and rattlesnakes inside loop 610 because it hadn't been built yet ... I did get taken to a HPD substation on Beechnut at 15 years old for open carrying a Daisy BB gun which looked like a 1911 and a buddy had a BB rifle ... our parents came and got us- no law was broken, no law protected the frogs legs my buddy ate nor the turtles they made into soup back then..
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
Pep
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Pep »

A lot of good information today ... thanks everyone.

:patriot:
"There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots"
Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact
Ruger LC9
Vietnam Veteran - 1969 (USN - Mobile Riverine Forces - I Corp)

apostate

Post by apostate »

I don't know about y'all, but I don't have any policies prohibiting open carry on my property. ;-)

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

As RPB pointed out, OC in your house or on your own property has nothing to do with a CHL and is mostly legal. Srothstein, I'm fairly sure it was him, has pointed out in at least one thread that your front yard or a yard that is clearly visible by someone walking or driving by can be considered a public place. Not public property, but a public place and openly carrying there can be problematic depending on your local PD, neighbors, and whoever happens to drive by and see your gun and get freaked out. I OC in by backyard all the time, but not the front.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

Are there any nudist colonies in Texas?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Oldgringo wrote:Are there any nudist colonies in Texas?
Could make concealed carry problematic.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

C-dub wrote:
Perhaps, but the question was concerning OC and the answer to that question is right before your eyes, grasshopper.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Oldgringo wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Perhaps, but the question was concerning OC and the answer to that question is right before your eyes, grasshopper.
"rlol"

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

"rlol"
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

I probably wouldn't open carry on purpose eventhough I can on my own property, but its makes me feel good to know that if I'm out in the garage or loading/unloading the car in the driveway or doing anything that cause me to display or print that my idiot neighbors can complain and call the police all day long and there is not a thing either one of them can do about it.

The conversation would go something like this....
:nono: you cant :rules: yes i can :grumble well.. uh.... :lol: bug off! :totap:
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”