Teen killed by Florida CHL'er

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bdickens
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Teen killed by Florida CHL'er

Post by bdickens »

A lot of useless speculation by people who weren't there.
Byron Dickens

Tic Tac

Post by Tic Tac »

Frankie wrote:I also found this very interesting
State Attorney Angela Corey, who is personally prosecuting the case
Her handling of the Zimmerman case may give Dunn a leg up.
I agree. I thought he was probably guilty until I read this. Now I wonder if there was a shotgun but Corey told somebody to make it disappear from evidence. Because the only thing I know beyond a reasonable doubt is she has a history of destroying or concealing exculpatory evidence.

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by drjoker »

I dunno, the guy said, "I thought it was a shotgun." Dude, it either is or isn't a shotgun. I could be wrong, but my gut tells me that he did NOT see a shotgun.

The boys claimed that they did not threaten his life, but I doubt it. They probably really did VERBALLY threaten his life. However, you can't shoot at someone for VERBALLY threatening you. The boys probably left their car and walked towards his car with a stick or some weapon that is NOT a shotgun. However, you can only use "Stand your ground" and "self defense" if you are reasonably fearing for your life. You could not possibly be fearing for your life if a pedestrian with no firearm is walking up to you with a stick while you are in your car because you can DRIVE AWAY.

He also went back to the hotel and ORDERED PIZZA instead of calling the police. Sounds like he was enjoying his last slice of pizza in the free world before being locked up for a very long time....

Witnesses state that the car he shot at did not toss out any shotgun. http://courtsandsportsradio.com/2013/0 ...

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

From what I understand "Stand your ground" is the first thing a criminal uses to try and avoid a conviction. "It wasn't me" apparently doesn't work as well any more since you still had your gun and they have the bullets you left behind.

I also suspect "he drew first" isn't going to be a very good defense either.

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

You get the PIZZA free if they dont deliever in 20 minutes!!!! "rlol"
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

philip964 wrote: I also suspect "he drew first" isn't going to be a very good defense either.
Unless you're Han Solo! And, you have ILM to at your disposal to tweak things a little. And, George Lucas as your apologist. Or maybe not:
[youtube][/youtube]
Act of Valor, $82 million box office gross on a $12 million production budget. $25 million on DVD sales(thru 11/25/12) 1.5 million units. Not Star Wars numbers, but pretty good for regular guys.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

anomie

Post by anomie »

Based on everything I've read, I think this guy is going to be convicted. I could be wrong.

He could have let the loud music go, let them go about their business, and go about his own, and I think he probably should have.

edit: (He certainly had the right to ask 'hey, could you turn that down please' but once they didn't, and it became an argument, it just seems a whole lot like a guy trying to impose his will on some other people without authority to do so. If it's really that loud call a cop and make a complaint. That doesn't have anything to do with whether or not it was actually self defense, just a spot where the whole thing could have been avoided)
You can have an attitude
or you can carry a gun
but you can't do both
-- unknown (If you have any information on the origination of this quote, please let me know)

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I have given up on the news media they want to make money not report factually and fairly :banghead:
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

What threats did the folks in the SUV make to the CHL holder?????
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Deltaboy wrote:What threats did the folks in the SUV make to the CHL holder?????
He claims they had a gun. http://www.news4jax.com/news/witness-sa ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

This whole case seems very fishy. TWO judges recused themselves from the case? WhY? Did big O threaten those judges unless they biased themselves for the state (against the defendant) ? I've never heard of TWO judges in a row recusing themselves from a case.

Why did the witness reverse his testimony from "they were stashing something" to "they were not trying to hide anything" ? Was the witness threatened by big O & gang?

Dunn is no Zimmerman. I don't trust the guy. However, this seems like reasonable doubt has been planted. If they guy walks, it is not because of the "stand your ground" law, but because of shoddy police work. The cops admittted that they did not do a thorough search of the crime scene until (drum roll) FOUR DAYS LATER! No doubt the libtard media is gonna blame the guy walking free on the "stand your ground" law instead of lazy deputies.

anomie

Post by anomie »

He drove away and did not call the police. He went back to his hotel and ordered pizza, then left for home the next morning - all without calling police. This is at a minimum evidence of terrible decision making.

I can't imagine myself doing the same after being forced to defend myself, although I've never really liked arguments based on "oh well _obviously_ someone would or would not do this in such a situation", so I say that knowing it doesn't mean he wasn't in fear of his life when he pulled the trigger.

The "they dumped the shotgun and came back" scenario could be true. But so could the 'he made the shotgun up after the fact' scenario.

Put yourself in the spot of a cop at that scene. You've got a dead body in an SUV and shooter who drove off. How much reason do you really have to go rummaging around rooftops and the like looking for a shotgun that you really have no reason to think even exists yet? The first the police probably heard about a shotgun was after they'd arrested Dunn, which was the day after the shooting. Depending on exactly how that all went down, the delay in going to look could be entirely reasonable.

The point here being that, if he'd stayed at the scene and said "They pointed a shotgun at me, I was in fear of my life" and then said he was going to wait to say anything else until he talked to an attorney, then yeah, looking to see if they'd dumped a shotgun four days later would be unreasonable. When what actually happened is that he left the scene, they arrested him the next day, and they get the information by interviewing him, etc, it becomes less and less unreasonable that they looked for a stashed shotgun four days later.

I am expecting a conviction here, I could be wrong, and the jury is going to see more evidence than I will, for sure.
You can have an attitude
or you can carry a gun
but you can't do both
-- unknown (If you have any information on the origination of this quote, please let me know)

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

anomie wrote:Depending on exactly how that all went down, the delay in going to look could be entirely reasonable.
No, the cops went against S.O.P. (standard operating procedure) by not processing the entire scene and documenting everything. A wise older supervisor once told me when I was an intern, "If you didn't document it, then it didn't happen. You must document EVERYTHING meticulously because something that you didn't think was important at the time might turn out to be extremely important in the future."

My supervisor was right. When they invented DNA identification, the police evidence that was meticulously identified, documented, secured, and preserved with DNA intact was used to solve cold case murders decades after these crimes were committed. However, the cases where police work was shoddy and DNA evidence was lost, those murders remained unsolved.
Identify, document, secure and preserve evidence with proper containers, labels and preservatives.
http://www.nij.gov/topics/law-enforceme ... arrive.htm

I say there's probably a 40% chance that this guy will walk, but if he does, it is because of shoddy police work and police incompetence, not the "stand your ground law," but rest assured the liberals will try to use this to pressure legislators to strike down the stand you ground laws around the country.

anomie

Post by anomie »

drjoker wrote:No, the cops went against S.O.P. (standard operating procedure) by not processing the entire scene and documenting everything.
How big is the scene? Where will the cops view as 'the scene' as being given where the shooting occurred? The SUV pulled out of the gas station, to somewhere, right? Then came back. If someone drives five blocks do you process and document the entire five blocks? Two blocks? How big does it have to be/how far would they have had to drive before not 'processing the entire scene' in the sense of processing absolutely every inch that they traveled, the night of the shooting, is not breaking SOP? (seriously asking).
You can have an attitude
or you can carry a gun
but you can't do both

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

anomie wrote:
drjoker wrote:No, the cops went against S.O.P. (standard operating procedure) by not processing the entire scene and documenting everything.
How big is the scene? Where will the cops view as 'the scene' as being given where the shooting occurred? The SUV pulled out of the gas station, to somewhere, right? Then came back. If someone drives five blocks do you process and document the entire five blocks? Two blocks? How big does it have to be/how far would they have had to drive before not 'processing the entire scene' in the sense of processing absolutely every inch that they traveled, the night of the shooting, is not breaking SOP? (seriously asking).
Cops should've searched the gas station and the shopping center parking lot down the street where the red Durango drove to before returning to the gas station. Not securing the parking lot down the street meant that if there was a gun tossed out of the red Durango, the evidence would've been lost because the cops waited 4 days before conducting the search of the parking lot down the street. It would've been unreasonable to shut down traffic for 5 blocks to process evidence, but they could've at least taken photos of the street on the way to the shopping center parking lot. If there were bushes, trash cans, and storm drains along the way, they should've searched those, too. Also, any surveillance footage along the way and at the shopping center should be taken in as evidence.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”