The new Perot Museum

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

dustinrains
Posts in topic: 2

Re: The new Perot Museum

Post by dustinrains »

Here is the signage from the main entrance. For those who were curious.

Topic author
Zoti
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Zoti »

Yep. It's meaningless to CHL.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

Never saw the sign when I was last time there. After I saw the sign above, I still see no sign that affects me.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

4yranch
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 4yranch »

There is an official 30.06 sign posted on the 'left' side of main entrance. Had to take mine back to the truck...I took a pic, but was too large to post. Still a pretty cool place to visit!

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

4yranch wrote:There is an official 30.06 sign posted on the 'left' side of main entrance. Had to take mine back to the truck...I took a pic, but was too large to post. Still a pretty cool place to visit!
That would be new then. It certainly wasn't there 6 weeks or so ago.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

If you see a no guns sign post it on http://texas3006.com/ they are making a state wide list
of places that do not deserve our busisness. The U.B.B.R is the clinetel they deserve
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

tommyg wrote:If you see a no guns sign post it on http://texas3006.com/ they are making a state wide list
of places that do not deserve our busisness. The U.B.B.R is the clinetel they deserve
Only post 30.06 or attempts at a 30.06. Generic 'no guns' signs are not put on texas30006.com
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I have seen a lot of "Gun Buster" signs listed on texas3006.com they are listed as not valid
I would post it anyway it shows bad faith on the part of a busisness. Whatever you do don't educate the managers on proper signage
Last edited by tommyg on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

tommyg wrote:I have seen a lot of "Gun Buster" signs listed on texas3006.com they are listed as not valid
Please tell me which entries? I am a moderator there also and they are not to be there.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

lrpettit

Post by lrpettit »

4yranch wrote:There is an official 30.06 sign posted on the 'left' side of main entrance. Had to take mine back to the truck...I took a pic, but was too large to post. Still a pretty cool place to visit!
Looks valid (Sorry it's sideways!)
Opinions are my own, commonly worthless, and should not be relied upon. I am not a lawyer.
LTC Holder

CenTex

Post by CenTex »

I am sick and tired of people nitpicking 30.06 signs; If there is a 'NO GUNS' sign of any kind posted, it should be respected; you are putting your ego above personal or managed property rights...

The legality of the sign is another discussion.

Grow up!!!!
CenTex
near Belton
NRA Benefactor, GOA, SAF & TSRA Life

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

CenTex wrote:I am sick and tired of people nitpicking 30.06 signs; If there is a 'NO GUNS' sign of any kind posted, it should be respected; you are putting your ego above personal or managed property rights...

Grow up!!!!
Hmmm. I see. So whatever a property owner intends is legally compliant? The Texas Legislature seems to have gone to a lot of trouble to carefully write laws but if I carefully read them and comply with them as written, it is a bad thing?

I understand this is a pervasive approach. The law makers put together a document called the Constitution and added a Bill of Rights to it. The government officials in IL and Chicago have been to court and lost several times because they wrote local laws that some people didn't believe complied with the original documents. Is that a bad thing, too?

There are a lot of people who have convictions for infractions of the laws overturned every year because of very technical interpretations of those laws. If a suspect's Miranda rights were not followed, for example, they get to walk away from the charges against them. While I believe that is often a bad thing, that is the way that the laws are written.

The rule of law is the rule of law. I'm not allowed, by law, to claim ignorance of the law as an excuse for breaking it, now matter how complex that law is. As a citizen, I'm the same as every other citizen or business. I ask for no quarter and I grant none. I see nothing childish about that approach.

My daughter, who is a police dispatcher, and I have had a discussion about some 30.06 signs (we both have CHLs). I've asked her what any of her LEOs would say if I told them "but Officer, I intended only to drive 60mpg on the freeway. I didn't really intend to do 75mph like I was doing."

I visited the Perot Museum recently. I very carefully looked for a 30.06 sign. I didn't see it. Apparently, based on the feed back on this thread, others did the same. It would appear that the idea behind
(c) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public
is to make sure that I and others like me can see it and act accordingly. AMC uses an 8 1/2"x11" piece of paper for their sign. Since I'm looking for something with 1" letters per the TPC, I'm not even going to notice a piece of paper. I know from experience that the proper wording of the 30.06 sign with which I'm required to comply cannot be written completely using 1" letters on such a small piece of paper. This isn't about me being childish but me knowing what I'm looking for and finding it...or not. The TPC does not require me to carefully examine every scrap of paper that a business puts up.

I take the law very seriously. I view it as a contract between me and my fellow citizen and the government that represents them. What is not expressly forbidden by law is available to me. I refuse to accept control by intent.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

CenTex wrote:I am sick and tired of people nitpicking 30.06 signs; If there is a 'NO GUNS' sign of any kind posted, it should be respected; you are putting your ego above personal or managed property rights...
Texans worked hard to get 30.06 written. It is up to the owner/manager of a business to know all the laws that apply to them. That includes, if the business wishes to prohibit the legal carrying of concealed firearms, what signage is needed. If a business owner is too ignorant or lazy to do the research (which is remarkably easy to find), then that is their problem, not mine.

Then again, there are business owners (I know at least 3) who have posted gun buster signs because it makes their customers feel better, even though they (the business owner) knows it doesn't mean squat to CHLs. BTW, all 3 of those business owners are also CHLs and know full well what 30.06 is.

So it seems to me that YOU are the one putting your ego where it doesn't need to be. Namely in telling everyone else here what to do. If you choose to obey a gun-buster sign, then have at it. Enjoy. Do your best. As for me, I'll respect and follow the law.

Reds45ACP

Post by Reds45ACP »

That 30.06 is new. My wife and I were there a month ago and all I saw was the one "No guns, even concealed" sign then carried right past it.
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

CenTex

Post by CenTex »

chasfm11 wrote:

Grow up!!!!
Hmmm. I see. So whatever a property owner intends is legally compliant? The Texas Legislature seems to have gone to a lot of trouble to carefully write laws but if I carefully read them and comply with them as written, it is a bad thing?

I understand this is a pervasive approach. The law makers put together a document called the Constitution and added a Bill of Rights to it. The government officials in IL and Chicago have been to court and lost several times because they wrote local laws that some people didn't believe complied with the original documents. Is that a bad thing, too?
********** snip *************

I take the law very seriously. I view it as a contract between me and my fellow citizen and the government that represents them. What is not expressly forbidden by law is available to me. I refuse to accept control by intent.
You have a lot more respect for the 'Lawmaker's' products than me... The products of
Austin and Washington leave much to be desired although Austin does a bit better. Our country has been destroyed by carefully considered and written laws.

Next the law makers did not put together the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, many of the framers never served as a Lawmaker.

We elect representatives to take our concerns to the conclaves, somewhere along the line they conceive that their success is determined by how many laws they can attach their names to. Several years ago our representative was asked how she evaluated the past legislative session and she was ecstatic when she stated it was a great success and that they had passed over 2,000 new laws. HELLO! I am sure all were well considered and written...

Regardless of the legal discussion, my concern is for the property owner or manager to be able to control his property in the manner he desires as long as it is not illegal. I know you can not be prosecuted or otherwise have your rights or legal protections imposed on but I believe you should respect the rules or request of the property owners. If you are on my property, I would strongly suggest you do so. (I own and run 200 acres of wildlife conservation land and I have had to educate a person or two that chose to violate my rules.)
CenTex
near Belton
NRA Benefactor, GOA, SAF & TSRA Life

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”