first renewal questions

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
05kas05
Posts in topic: 1

first renewal questions

Post by 05kas05 »

ok so my renewal is not up until november of 2013 but i was wondering when i should start the renewal process
im sure alot has changed since i got my license,back when i got my license people were renewing 6 months before their due date. so my question is what has changed what do i need to get together as far as paper work goes. is the system faster now than it was 4 years ago. also if i take my renewal class say in the next month or two would the paperwork i get still be good for me to use on my renewal. i am wanting to take the class now because i have the money on hand i dont want to wait and then find out i dont have it when i need it haha.any info is appreciated thanks in advance

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Re: first renewal questions

Post by jmra »

The CHL 100 is good for 6 months. You can not start the online process for renewal until 6 months prior to your expiration date. If you took your renewal class in Jan you would have a 2 month window to get the application completed and into DPS. I would wait until March or April to take the class in order to expand the window.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

jmra wrote:The CHL 100 is good for 6 months. You can not start the online process for renewal until 6 months prior to your expiration date. If you took your renewal class in Jan you would have a 2 month window to get the application completed and into DPS. I would wait until March or April to take the class in order to expand the window.
I'd have a different approach. If his license expires in November, he can apply for his renewal as early as May. His CHL-100 is good for six months, so I would suggest taking the training anytime he wants from now forward, because it will be good until the end of June. Simply apply in May while the training is still valid.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

05kas05 wrote: i am wanting to take the class now because i have the money on hand i dont want to wait and then find out i dont have it when i need it haha.any info is appreciated thanks in advance
I am not for sure where you are located, but if you are in the DFW area I know you can go here... http://www.crossfire-training.com/conte ... lable.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and buy a Gift Certificate NOW! Then use it when it is time for your renewal. :tiphat:

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

Jumping Frog wrote:
jmra wrote:The CHL 100 is good for 6 months. You can not start the online process for renewal until 6 months prior to your expiration date. If you took your renewal class in Jan you would have a 2 month window to get the application completed and into DPS. I would wait until March or April to take the class in order to expand the window.
I'd have a different approach. If his license expires in November, he can apply for his renewal as early as May. His CHL-100 is good for six months, so I would suggest taking the training anytime he wants from now forward, because it will be good until the end of June. Simply apply in May while the training is still valid.
That works. I am due in September - took my class earlier this month. My CHL -100 is good thru the first week of June. This should give me a 3 month window which is plenty. I just know some people like to procrastinate.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”