Anyone qualified who decided not to?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

G26ster
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone qualified who decided not to?

Post by G26ster »

DLBConductor wrote:Most of the friends I made in my CHL class all carry 24/7.
If one says they carry "24/7," then they never voluntarily go to any of the places listed in PC 46.035, because they will be unarmed. If they do voluntarily go places where they must be unarmed, what makes them any different than those that pick and choose whether they carry when they leave the house on any given day? One could just as easily be a victim of crime in those places as in any other place. Of course there ARE folks who don't voluntarily go to those places. They don't fly, visit friends or relatives in 30.06 posted hospitals, visit large amusement parks, attend high school, college, or professional sporting events, 51% locations, etc., but I don't believe they represent the majority of CHL holders. Just MHO.

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

MadMonkey wrote: <SNIP>
One reason I'm very glad I carry is that it helps keep me OUT of situations like that in the first place. Of course, I try not to get into serious arguments anyway, I'm no good at it "rlol"

:iagree: It took all of 3 months of marriage to come to that realization.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

DLBConductor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DLBConductor »

G26ster wrote:
DLBConductor wrote:Most of the friends I made in my CHL class all carry 24/7.
If one says they carry "24/7," then they never voluntarily go to any of the places listed in PC 46.035, because they will be unarmed. If they do voluntarily go places where they must be unarmed, what makes them any different than those that pick and choose whether they carry when they leave the house on any given day? One could just as easily be a victim of crime in those places as in any other place. Of course there ARE folks who don't voluntarily go to those places. They don't fly, visit friends or relatives in 30.06 posted hospitals, visit large amusement parks, attend high school, college, or professional sporting events, 51% locations, etc., but I don't believe they represent the majority of CHL holders. Just MHO.
I understand what you are saying and agree that a strict 24/7 carry is almost impossible and does not represent the majority of CHL holders. I should qualify my statement to say, "I try to carry 24/7 except in those places forbidden by law." In my case, I take my gun off and leave it in the car when I go to the hospital, the courthouse, the post office, or do ride-a-longs with the police. In my retirement, I don't happen to fly, attend high school or sporting events, or visit 51% locations. I also will not patronize any business that posts a 30.06 sign.

Deciding when, where, or even if to carry a handgun is a very personal decision. I would never deign to tell another what they should do in regard to getting a CHL or carrying a firearm. Speaking only for myself, I have learned from experience that evil can strike anywhere, at any time, and that there is no such place as a crime free zone. Being 69 years old and stricken with severe arthritis, as much as it is up to me, I carry whenever and wherever I legally can in order to protect myself and my wife. That said, the most important thing I have learned in this journey is the importance of Situational Awareness. Being alert has proven to be far more important than my handgun in keeping me safe. My EDC is my weapon of last resort and I hope never to have to use it. In my recent failed carjacking encounter, my early situational awareness and immediate, decisive action allowed me to escape being carjacked but just barely. Once I was in my car with the doors locked, I had my Xd9sc concealed in my hand and was prepared to use it had the BGs shown a weapon.

To get back to the OP's original question, probably more CHL holders do not carry than do. I think that is unfortunate because it leaves them more vulnerable but that is their decision. It also would not surprise me that people who have had a bad experience with BGS, like I have, are probably much more likely to carry as much as possible.

Thanks for helping me to clarify my post.
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Some go so far as to carry as an every moment awake practice - inside their own homes.

Topic author
ldavidson

Post by ldavidson »

Do you know people with whom you do not discuss or promote getting a CHL?
Last edited by ldavidson on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

I took the class with a friend who has never carried since arrival of plastic. He's waiting for his 5.11 special undershirt with armpit compartment...
which I consider a back-up option, not a carry option. Kind of like a ankle holster. Good back-up, bad primary carry location.
EDC is not for everyone. Even of those who are legally qualified.
My friend has a few problems:
He does not have a lifelong history around guns.
He would not be comfortable with "condition 1" carry.
He has an anti-gun wife.
He lacks confidence due to lack of knowledge/continuing education. Laws, signs, where can I not carry...
Possibly has an inner feeling he would never be able to pull the trigger in a defensive situation.

I don't push. A piece of plastic will not give you everything you need to carry.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

hpcatx
Posts in topic: 3

Post by hpcatx »

Topbuilder wrote:EDC is not for everyone. Even of those who are legally qualified.
My friend has a few problems:
He does not have a lifelong history around guns.
He would not be comfortable with "condition 1" carry.
He has an anti-gun wife.
Time changes these issues. All three were apt descriptions for me. I insisted both my first home defense and then carry handguns (DAOs) had thumb safeties; ones in my current rotation do not and are always kept with one in the pipe. Now, I take great pride when my wife asks if I have my "thing" on me (she's expecting and wanting the answer to be yes) and she'll be getting a CHL soon, too!
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

68blackbird

Post by 68blackbird »

I think when some people decide to get thier CHL, they think they are ready and capable to carry, then when the plastic shows up, the reality of the responsibilty hits them, can I use it if needed, am I ready to deal with the consequences, good or bad if I do. I know that making the decision to obtain mine as made me look at everyday matters differently....I guess I'll really know when my plastic arrives.
"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

In my CHL class there was a man who scored a 177 on the shooting. His Hi-Power jammed 4 times...
In a completely unrelated statement :biggrinjester:
I respect the people who choose to not carry. For what ever reason.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

77346 wrote::iagree: with WildBill... I would bet less than 50% of CHL's carry regularly.
I would also bet that more than 50% of people with CHLs got it so they could carry in their car.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

There are always times you don't carry. Tonight I am going to a rockin' new years party. I will not be carrying as I will be drinking some beer and whatever else I see fit. :thumbs2:

Rikk101

Post by Rikk101 »

I hae a BIL and stepson who have CHLs but seldom carry. I have found that most of the bad stuff in life happens when you least expect it, so I carry pretty much all the time - including at home.

Gameover

Post by Gameover »

Topbuilder wrote:In my CHL class there was a man who scored a 177 on the shooting. His Hi-Power jammed 4 times...
In a completely unrelated statement :biggrinjester:
I respect the people who choose to not carry. For what ever reason.

:iagree: :iagree:
Question everything

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Could be like some of the people at the capital who got there's to go through the CHL line because it is shorter and faster.

Topic author
oldtexan

Post by oldtexan »

77346 wrote::iagree: with WildBill... I would bet less than 50% of CHL's carry regularly.
That is my opinion as well. As far as I can tell, most of my family members and friends with a CHL carry only when traveling. I believe that I am way outside the norm; anytime i leave home I am armed, and at home I'm armed most of the time. If people decide not to carry, IMO that's their business, not mine.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”