TxDOT updates CHL policy for employees

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Alameda311
Posts in topic: 5

Re: TxDOT updates CHL policy for employees

Post by Alameda311 »

The email sent had a contact number, I called and spoke to the assisant, gave all info and personal call back number. I will send an email and see what that will get me.
Yes dressing around the weapon is what I'm doing, long shirts, jacket, etc..
Thanks for all info, is much appreaciated.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Post by baldeagle »

Alameda311 wrote:Txdot new policy is very confusing, in our district we had to make a copy of our chl and submit to the front office, in our office that is gossip central. Also what is considered a meeting? I'm in the inspection side and meet with contractors and other employees daily??? and of course austin will not return calls to carify??
I really think it was a great idea, never know what your up against in rural areas and assisting stranded motorists. If anyone has more info please share. Thank you.
Texas Government Code 411.205 specifically requires you to display your CHL when requested by "a magistrate or a peace officer". There is no requirement in the law for you to display it to anyone else. Unless it's official policy of TxDOT, I would not respond. It's none of their business.

Meetings refers to official government meetings. I doubt seriously TxDOT could get away with stretching that to include any meeting you had with a contractor. If they tried to, I would contact your state senator and complain loudly.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

dicion
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dicion »

I'm still seeing it being prohibited here on page 8:

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-in ... onduct.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alameda311

Post by Alameda311 »

Sure does, I had to go to TxDot's Crossroads section, look under Misc. Conduct, I think its section 8, its highlighted.

A week before this went into effect we had a 3 car accident on the Interstate, we had two troopers working the whole county, 1 was dealing with a wreck near West, the second was at ours, 1 car involved was a pick Crown Vic with black wheels, 4 African-Americans in that car, long story short they wanted to fight the Trooper, I showed up along with the Safety officer working for the contractor, now it was 4 vs 3, but the sick feeling I got '' pretending '' to be armed scared the heck out of me.

He did cuff all of them with our help, drugs in the car, 1 came forward after 15 minutes on the ground and claimed the drugs, car got impounded, other 3 told to walk and get a ride.

Again, glad this went into effect, hopefully the kinks will work themselfs out before lawyers get involved.

Thanks for the info, glad I was told about this site, its worth its weight in gold!!!

dicion

Post by dicion »

Alameda311 wrote:Sure does, I had to go to TxDot's Crossroads section, look under Misc. Conduct, I think its section 8, its highlighted.

A week before this went into effect we had a 3 car accident on the Interstate, we had two troopers working the whole county, 1 was dealing with a wreck near West, the second was at ours, 1 car involved was a pick Crown Vic with black wheels, 4 African-Americans in that car, long story short they wanted to fight the Trooper, I showed up along with the Safety officer working for the contractor, now it was 4 vs 3, but the sick feeling I got '' pretending '' to be armed scared the heck out of me.

He did cuff all of them with our help, drugs in the car, 1 came forward after 15 minutes on the ground and claimed the drugs, car got impounded, other 3 told to walk and get a ride.

Again, glad this went into effect, hopefully the kinks will work themselfs out before lawyers get involved.

Thanks for the info, glad I was told about this site, its worth its weight in gold!!!
Being a non TxDOT Employee, I cannot access that site. I'm looking for the publicly available version. If you can find it anywhere, please let me know.

Topic author
G27RR
Posts in topic: 8

Post by G27RR »

dicion wrote:I'm still seeing it being prohibited here on page 8:

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-in ... onduct.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apparently they haven't updated that link since Nov 2011. There have been several revisions since then, including the Dec 2012 update. The text in my OP was directly cut and pasted from the internal online manual.
TSRA Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation Life Member
NRA Endowment Life Member
My blog - http://g27rr.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My EDC - STI Shadow

Alameda311

Post by Alameda311 »

I'm aware of another employee who made a copy of his CHL and turned it in, I'm wondering if we should both request the copies be returned?

Not sure if HR has them or they are sitting in someones desk draw?

Any advise?

android

Post by android »

Jumping Frog wrote:[Here is another case where the prudent course is to never discuss guns at work. All it would take is for an anti-gunner to overhear you talking about guns, and they could conceivably file a complaint that they "saw your gun". Suddenly, the CHL could find themselves trying to defend something that never happened.

Don't tell me this "would never happen". I received a "final" warning notice at my previous employer through that exact kind of false anonymous compliant.

Should have put pink polka dots on your gun. Then you could have had them asked what it looked like. When he said black and scary, you could have easily proved he was lying.

android

Post by android »

Alameda311 wrote: Also what is considered a meeting? I'm in the inspection side and meet with contractors and other employees daily??? and of course austin will not return calls to carify??
Txdot is a government agency, not a government entity. Your agency does not have the direct authority to collect taxes on its own. Government entities include states, counties, cities independent school districts and other taxing authorities. They get to fill out a special census form.

See: http://www.census.gov/govs/cog2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IANAL, I just know the lingo is precise and important.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Android, you are sort of correct about the difference between a governmental agency and a governmental entity,but you are also sort of wrong. You went wrong by applying a federal definition to a state law. The two are separate and, under most circumstances, not compatible.

To clarify what this means, we need to look at Texas law. Since it is not defined in the Penal Code, I would recommend that we look at the Government Code where the law defines things for purposes of applying the Open Meetings Act. It specifically defines meeting in the definitions (section 551.001) but it does not use the term entity. Simple grammar tells me an entity is a single whole thing so it cannot meet with itself. I would guess that the courts would go with the term governmental body, which is defined.

And I stress this because under governmental body we find that TxDOT can hold meetings which would be illegal to carry at. Their commission meetings would apply, as would some of the committees they have. For example, the Bicycle Advisory Committee and the Public Transportation Advisory Committee may fall under the Open Meetings Act. A group of employees getting together to discuss a project would not, IMO, even if they called themselves a committee.

If I were applying the law on carrying at these meetings, I would first determine if the meeting was governed by the Open Meetings Act which can be read here.
Steve Rothstein

sailor2000

Post by sailor2000 »

I just want to say that this is REALLY great news and hopefully will be a widely followed example for Government and Private offices statewide! :thewave :thewave :thewave :txflag:
It is useless for the Sheep to circulate petitions calling for universal vegetarianism while the Wolves hold a different opinion.
NRA Endowment Member

http://www.senioranswer.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BaleKlocoon

Post by BaleKlocoon »

Can someone provide a link to this on a TxDOT website? I'm unable to find it. I'm not saying I don't trust you guys, I certainly do, but I'd rather read it from the TxDOT website before I start carrying at work.

fratermus

Post by fratermus »

It's in the HR manual (Crossroads | HR | HR Manual) IIRC. We also got an email from HR mentioning HR Manual changes. It was the second-to-last change listed, if memory serves.

texaszed4mc

Post by texaszed4mc »

AS a TxDOT employee the OP is 100% correct and copied from the HR online Manual. I even went as far as printing that exact page and have it sitting on my desk as I type this. Even hi-lighted the specific section that allows me to carry inside the building. I see no reason for my local HR person to make a copy of my license AT ALL. AND if asked I will want to know their reasoning.
Mailed Certified USPS:3/8/13
TxDPS received :3/15/13
License in hand: 5/28/13
81 days mailbox to mailbox

Saintango

Post by Saintango »

It is not a violation for employees who lawfully possess firearms to transport and store firearms in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle while parked in a parking lot, garage, or other employee parking area provided by the department
Is this applying to refinery parking lots? Does anyone know?
He will never give you more that what you can handle.
NRA - Life Member
TSRA - Future Life Member
NAGR - Future Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”