TxDOT updates CHL policy for employees

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
G27RR
Posts in topic: 8

Re: TxDOT updates CHL policy for employees

Post by G27RR »

Saintango wrote:[quote rule is not a violviolation for employees who lawfully possess firearms to transport and store firearms in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle while parked in a parking lot, garage, or other employee parking area provided by the department
Is this applying to refinery parking lots? Does anyone know?[/quote]

TxDOT does not have any rule making authority over refineries, and in any case couldn't supercede state law. The applicable portion of state law would apply to those lots.
TSRA Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation Life Member
NRA Endowment Life Member
My blog - http://g27rr.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My EDC - STI Shadow

Topic author
G27RR
Posts in topic: 8

Re: TxDOT updates CHL policy for employees

Post by G27RR »

8-6 Weapons and Concealed Handguns

The department prohibits all persons who enter department property from carrying a handgun,

firearm or prohibited weapon of any kind onto the property unless the person is licensed to

carry a concealed handgun and are complying with their license. Prohibited weapons include

any form of weapons or explosive restricted under local, state and federal regulation including

all firearms, illegal knives, or other weapons covered by the law. Employees are held

responsible for making sure that any potential item they possess or carry is not prohibited by

this policy.

It is not a violation of this policy for employees to carry concealed handguns on department

property provided they are licensed in accordance with the Texas Government Code §411.172

and are complying with their license. Employees and visitors must abide by all applicable state

and federal laws, including that:

 the handgun is kept concealed at all times, except in a life-threatening situation,

 the license is current and valid, and

 handguns must not be carried where prohibited by any state or federal law, which specifically

includes Texas Penal Code, Chapter 46. This statute prohibits concealed handguns at any

meeting of a government entity, among other prohibited locations. Any violation of any law

concerning concealed handguns (such as a handgun in plain sight, or any other violation) will

be referred to law enforcement authorities.

The revised policy above is now even a little more friendly sounding, so to speak. They also clarified that weapons means only those restricted by law, whereas before it was open to interpretation whether a simple pocket knife could be construed as a weapon. It is scheduled to go into effect June 17th.
TSRA Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation Life Member
NRA Endowment Life Member
My blog - http://g27rr.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My EDC - STI Shadow

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”