Victim in Pasco hate crime had gun, decided not to use it

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton, longtooth

Re: Victim in Pasco hate crime had gun, decided not to use i

Postby texanjoker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:07 pm

Dragonfighter wrote:
texanjoker wrote:
Dragonfighter wrote:Anyone remember the guys going around firing paintball guns at people and filming it? The sad fact is I would probably have returned fire. They "pop" and really hurt and if I saw a red splat where I was hurting I would count myself dead and return fire. A pellet gun on the other hand is, or at least can be, a lethal weapon; ask the mafia.


I would not want to use lethal force on somebody with a paint ball. IF one were to use lethal force against a paintball marker, you better able to clearly articulate why you did. We carried the pepperballs (harder then normal paint balls and full of pepper spray in a powder). The company guarantees that they are non lethal if you use their equipment which is their expensive paint ball launcher. It is no different then a store bought marker, just you pay a lot more for the guarantee of it being non lethal. I have shot many a crook with these and nobody ever required anything more then a wash down of the pepper powder.
<SNIP>



If you're not familiar with the case I cited, there were teenagers in the Plano area (IIRC) that were rolling around at night in their car. They would see a jogger or somebody walking home and pull up next to them at night, open fire while recording the action. Having seen the videos it was a significant "pop", "pop", "pop" and the victims doubling over in pain. So let me ask, if with your experience, a car load of teenagers pull up next to you at night stick the barrel of a weapon out the window and open fire at you. Are you going to wait and see if you survive the hits (and yes I have been hit with paint balls in and out of padding, and have had significant bruising with padding) or even wait to get hit before you decide to defend yourself? I bet if one of the victims had killed one of the miscreants, the video alone would have exonerated them.


I would have to have that happen to know how I would respond. It would come down to what I thought was happening at the time, and what fear or lack of fear I might be facing. If I believed it was a gun, then lethal force could be used. If I knew it was a paint ball, I would not. I do not personally believe being shot at or with a paint ball warrants using lethal force. To me paint ball and gun fire do not sound the same. I have played paint ball and we trained with it a lot working k9s. I have also been shot at by criminals and to me they are very different sounds. We had a series like that before as well. It was a pain. In CA law it was merely a battery, and not even a bookable offense in jail. Everybody was glad when they finally caught the kids.
User avatar
texanjoker
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2720
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Victim in Pasco hate crime had gun, decided not to use i

Postby Dave2 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:32 am

Dragonfighter wrote:If you're not familiar with the case I cited, there were teenagers in the Plano area (IIRC) that were rolling around at night in their car. They would see a jogger or somebody walking home and pull up next to them at night, open fire while recording the action. Having seen the videos it was a significant "pop", "pop", "pop" and the victims doubling over in pain. So let me ask, if with your experience, a car load of teenagers pull up next to you at night stick the barrel of a weapon out the window and open fire at you. Are you going to wait and see if you survive the hits (and yes I have been hit with paint balls in and out of padding, and have had significant bruising with padding) or even wait to get hit before you decide to defend yourself? I bet if one of the victims had killed one of the miscreants, the video alone would have exonerated them.

:eek6 :eek6 :eek6 Geez, what is that, "suicide by youtube"? Just when you think they can't get any dumber...
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.
Dave2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:39 am
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Victim in Pasco hate crime had gun, decided not to use i

Postby VMI77 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:11 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Heartland Patriot wrote:Just making sure I have this correct...in Texas, a pellet gun would be considered a deadly weapon?

I dunno', HP. At that time of night/morning and in that setting, a gun is a gun.....

That's the thing.... a lot of pellet guns look like a real firearm, even fairly up close. And even if you were to take the time to squint at the muzzle to try and see what it was, under duress how many of us would be able to tell the difference at a quick glance between a .22" aperture and a .177" aperture? I'm not waiting to find out. I'm not even waiting to see what comes out if he shoots first. I'm not going to give him the opportunity to shoot first.

That pellet gun is a threat of deadly force, whether or not it is actually deadly. The law permits me to respond with deadly force. I will.

Code: Select all
TPC § 9.01.  DEFINITIONS.  In this chapter:
(1)  .....
(2)  .....
(3)  "Deadly force" means force that is intended or known by the actor to cause, or in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing, death or serious bodily injury.

Code: Select all
§ 1.07. DEFINITIONS.  (a) In this code:                                     
      (1)  .....
      (2)  .....
      (3)  .....
      (4)  .....
      (5)  .....                           
      (6)  .....
      (7)  .....
      (8)  "Bodily injury" means physical pain, illness, or any impairment of physical condition.

A pellet gun is fully capable of producing physical pain, blindness, surgical intervention, and even death. Pull one on somebody in order to coerce them by means of a threat of deadly force, or by actually pulling the trigger which IS deadly force, and nobody will have the right to blame you if you take that person out. I'm not havin' any of it. Pull a pellet gun on me, and I will shoot at you. With luck, you'll live. At least I'll call 911 and ask for an ambulance for you, which is more than you would have done for me.

No pity from me on this.


Uhhhhh.....how would I know that .17 barrel wouldn't be expelling something like this: http://www.hornady.com/store/17-HMR
“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”

– Sir Winston Churchill
User avatar
VMI77
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4035
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:49 pm
Location: Victoria, Texas

Re: Victim in Pasco hate crime had gun, decided not to use i

Postby Purplehood » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:17 pm

The CHL made the right choice for himself. Fortunately it did not turn out any worse than it did.
I am glad that he chose discretion. It proves to the members of the CHL-choir that not all of us are madmen/women looking for an opportunity to shoot.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07
User avatar
Purplehood
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Victim in Pasco hate crime had gun, decided not to use i

Postby texanjoker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Dave2 wrote:
Dragonfighter wrote:If you're not familiar with the case I cited, there were teenagers in the Plano area (IIRC) that were rolling around at night in their car. They would see a jogger or somebody walking home and pull up next to them at night, open fire while recording the action. Having seen the videos it was a significant "pop", "pop", "pop" and the victims doubling over in pain. So let me ask, if with your experience, a car load of teenagers pull up next to you at night stick the barrel of a weapon out the window and open fire at you. Are you going to wait and see if you survive the hits (and yes I have been hit with paint balls in and out of padding, and have had significant bruising with padding) or even wait to get hit before you decide to defend yourself? I bet if one of the victims had killed one of the miscreants, the video alone would have exonerated them.

:eek6 :eek6 :eek6 Geez, what is that, "suicide by youtube"? Just when you think they can't get any dumber...


I realize it was at night. When I took the TX chl that guy said you can pretty much shoot anybody at night in TX and used graffiti as an example. We debated that heavily because I disagree with that type of statement as it could get somebody into legal trouble. I stand by my statement above. W/O being in that position, and not knowing what your feelings are at that exact moment in time, you do not know whether you would be fearing for your safety, perceive that as a gun, ect. Nobody knows if they can even use deadly force until faced with it the first time as well. Just because you can possibly shoot somebody, you have to live with it. I am not going to knowingly shoot somebody with a paint ball because I personally do not consider that a lethal threat. If I had shot every person that I could have in police work over the past 20 years I'd be a mass murderer. I pray to God I, nor any of my partners or anybody in here is ever in that position as described in this case.
User avatar
texanjoker
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2720
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Victim in Pasco hate crime had gun, decided not to use i

Postby G26ster » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:37 pm

texanjoker wrote:I realize it was at night. When I took the TX chl that guy said you can pretty much shoot anybody at night in TX and used graffiti as an example. We debated that heavily because I disagree with that type of statement as it could get somebody into legal trouble. I stand by my statement above. W/O being in that position, and not knowing what your feelings are at that exact moment in time, you do not know whether you would be fearing for your safety, perceive that as a gun, ect. Nobody knows if they can even use deadly force until faced with it the first time as well. Just because you can possibly shoot somebody, you have to live with it. I am not going to knowingly shoot somebody with a paint ball because I personally do not consider that a lethal threat. If I had shot every person that I could have in police work over the past 20 years I'd be a mass murderer. I pray to God I, nor any of my partners or anybody in here is ever in that position as described in this case.


:iagree:

Purplehood wrote:The CHL made the right choice for himself. Fortunately it did not turn out any worse than it did.
I am glad that he chose discretion. It proves to the members of the CHL-choir that not all of us are madmen/women looking for an opportunity to shoot.


:iagree:
User avatar
G26ster
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1942
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Victim in Pasco hate crime had gun, decided not to use i

Postby Dragonfighter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:56 pm

I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
User avatar
Dragonfighter
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:02 pm

Re: Victim in Pasco hate crime had gun, decided not to use i

Postby recaffeination » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Purplehood wrote:The CHL made the right choice for himself. Fortunately it did not turn out any worse than it did.
I am glad that he chose discretion. It proves to the members of the CHL-choir that not all of us are madmen/women looking for an opportunity to shoot.

:iagree:

It could have turned out much worse but it seems he realized it was an airgun and made the decision not to use his firearm. Maybe he figured the risk was better than ending up like Zimmerman.
This message was misspelled by my Apple mobile device.
recaffeination
Senior Member
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:07 pm

Re: Victim in Pasco hate crime had gun, decided not to use i

Postby goose » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Purplehood wrote:The CHL made the right choice for himself. Fortunately it did not turn out any worse than it did.


Agreed.

I probably would have chosen to shoot for fear of what escalation would take place if I was incapacitated. He was lucky that the bad guy only wanted to use his CO2 pistol. And that the BBs hadn't hit an eye, temple, etc. That same bad guy could have stomped him into the ground and removed his ability to fight back later. Even if I knew it was a CO2 pistol, I think I would have drawn and if I wasn't looking at the back of a fleeing person when the sights got lined up it might have ended differently.

It is tough to decide if someone else should shoot more or shoot less. I fear having to make that call. I hope my fear keeps me thinking and mentally exercising.
NRA Lifer - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε
User avatar
goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: Katy-ish

Re: Victim in Pasco hate crime had gun, decided not to use i

Postby threoh8 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:47 am

Heartland Patriot wrote:Just making sure I have this correct...in Texas, a pellet gun would be considered a deadly weapon?


Pellet guns can be used to hurt or kill:

http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Charges- ... 89011.html

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9186324/

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/05/22/ ... ommate-18/
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.
User avatar
threoh8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:02 pm
Location: Lubbock, Texas

Re: Victim in Pasco hate crime had gun, decided not to use i

Postby Laneman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:25 am

A pellet gun can definitely kill a person. A friend of mine had nuisance whitetail deer eating his shrubs on his neighborhood front lawn. One night he took out his one pump German pellet gun like an earlier poster mentioned. A large whitetail buck was on his lawn eating a shrub. He planned to sting it with the pellet gun so it would go away. When he shot it in the thick part of the neck, it laid over and died on his lawn. Didn't even run. I have no doubt that deadly force would have been justified in this case (not against the deer, against the dude with the pellet gun :lol: ).
Laneman
Member
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:51 pm

Re: Victim in Pasco hate crime had gun, decided not to use i

Postby cdalgo79 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:09 am

When I was 9 years old I was shot by a. 177 Cal pellet. It lodged 1/8" from my brain
I los!t my left eye and now have a prosthetic. Dr said 1 foot closer or 1 more pumping would
have been dead.
Class taken 8-25-12
Online app. 8-26-12
Documents submitted online 8-28-12
Fingerprints submitted. 9-5-12
background under review 9-7-12
Background complete 9-20-12
Manufacturing 9-21-12
Mailed. 9-22-12. Postmarked 9-25-12
Plastic received. 9-27-12
cdalgo79
Junior Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Previous

Return to General Texas CHL Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: anygunanywhere, maintenanceguy and 7 guests