ok to shoot?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Re: ok to shoot?

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

jmra wrote:My opinion about pit bulls is tainted by the people that lived next door to us when I was growing up. One day I heard a commotion. Looked out the window only to find my brother standing on top of his truck with a 2x4 holding off the pack.

It turned out to be an opportunity to try out my brand new Winchester 1200 Ranger. It out performed my expectations.

Before people start going nuts, I intentionally missed. Of course the dogs were gassed at the city pound the following week.
I have to commend you for exceptional restraint. I love dogs but in a situation like this, I love my brother much much more. I might not have used such restraint. :tiphat:

On the topic of "pit bulls" , and I truly have trouble with the label of "pit bull" as it is often used to label the wrong dog, I know a thing or three about them and they can become aggressive towards other animals once they reach they age of maturity. This is not a trait one can control. One has to be aware of this and be care about allowing your mature Pit Bull access to other animals when your not there to immediately intervene, BEFORE YOUR DOG ACTS! As for humans, aggression is not a normal trait, but can be a problem in rare cases, due to bad breeding practices. For the most part, this breed has gotten an unfair reputation. More humans are attacked and or bitten by other breeds than the "pit bull" breeds. Again, I compare it to firearms. A "pit bull" bites a human and the media splashes that ominous word all over the story. Like the evil "assault rifle", it is often not even an actual pit bull. Other dog bite incidents are only reported as "dog bite" incidents, with no color commentary.

The original posters story didn't so much make me think "anti pit bull" as it did irresponsible owners. I will add that I would be displeased with any dog being allowed to run free in the yards with no restraint. The worse bite I ever received was from a cocker spaniel.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

Everything those have stated about a non-rabid coyote not approaching is pretty much true. It also depends on how hungry it is or one other possibility. However, I can't imagine it being hungry enough to charge into a GSD and Pit and you.

We have have a female coyote that comes through every other year or so. She comes within only a few feet of my back fence sometimes and even closer if my male GSD is out. She only comes that close to him when she's in season. I've seen her male companion about 50 yards off and he won't come any closer. Until I first figured out what was driving my boy crazy I didn't notice that she was bedding down under some bushes just outside our fence a few years ago.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

I grew up in 1000 Oaks California and coyotes there are a daily fact of life. Everyone was well aware that you kept your cats indoors if you lived anywhere near open space parkland. In the 36 years I lived there I cannot recall a single incident where anyone was attacked. You can hear them just about every night and you got used to being able to tell if they had made a meal for the evening. They present almost zero threat to people and large dogs. Small dogs and cats are another matter. My MIL lost 2 cats to them and although we were all a little bummed, we all just chocked it up to mother nature and the circle of life.

Coyotes are of little concern and I certainly wouldn't shoot one and bring down the hammer of law enforcement except in the most unlikely and extraordinary of circumstances.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

dac1842 wrote:if you have to ask, then it was probably not ok. There is a simple test to determine if deadly force is necessary, was your life, or the life of another person in eminent danger? The test is simple, however it will have to be the fastest, yet most difficult decision you will ever make. Then the Monday morning quarterbacking is heck.

If the answer is yes, then it is ok to shoot. Even if you are shooting an animal that you determine is placing you or another in danger, remember that a police officer must agree with you, if he doesn't then a district attorney, judge and/or jury must agree with you.
Simply isn't accurate. The legal standards for deadly force against humans are not the same as deadly force against animals. I don't have to be "in fear for my life" to put down a dog.

I started to say I would generally agree with you if the discussion was limited to deadly force against humans, but even in that case the law does not require a person to be "in fear for his life" in all cases. It could be as simple as no other means of recovering property stolen at night.

Texas law on use of force is complicated and subtle.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

I hate coyotes. I operate a locomotive at a chemical plant and some of the places we work are pitch black with no lights at nightime, your ears really play tricks on you when you're walking out there, and the coyotes aren't too shy either, I'm glad I work on the loco and have locks on the doors lol
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”