Ambiguous wording in policy manual

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 3

Ambiguous wording in policy manual

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

I know that generally an employer's policy manual can override the absence of a 30.06 sign. Here is the wording in our policy manual. What is your take on this passage?

Under a section called "Workplace Violence Prevention":

"...Firearms, weapons, and other dangerous or hazardous devices or substances are prohibited from the premises of the company unless contrary to state law."

Do you read this as implicit recognition of an employees CHL? Thanks!

3dfxMM
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ambiguous wording in policy manual

Post by 3dfxMM »

No. I read that as "you can't have those things here unless state law says we can't prevent you from doing so."

jollyman

Post by jollyman »

Exactly! :txflag:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." -- Thomas Jefferson

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:I know that generally an employer's policy manual can override the absence of a 30.06 sign. Here is the wording in our policy manual. What is your take on this passage?

"...Firearms, weapons, and other dangerous or hazardous devices or substances are prohibited from the premises of the company unless contrary to state law."

It might if you work for a city, county, or state. There is another thread around here about some city changing their policy to something like this to allow those with CHLs to carry at work.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:Do you read this as implicit recognition of an employees CHL? Thanks!
No. I read it as recognition of the parking lot law.

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

IN reading this policy, and being someone that has had to enforce company rules and polices, I would apply state law definition of premises. Which means you may leave it in your car, but not in the buildings and property under the care, custody and control of the company. Property, for the company I used to work with meant property that the company leased or rented, including off company property meetings, hotel rooms and banquets.

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

ours is worded the same. thrn there is a subnote that address parking lot type bill. basicly it same all firearms kept in the parking lot must be not be loaded, must be in a locked container seperate from the ammo.

so basicly they want us to come to work and fondle with are guns in an unlit parking lot early in the morning.. chambering and rechambering the same rounds all in the name of safty. :banghead:

GWE Chally

Post by GWE Chally »

cheezit wrote:ours is worded the same. thrn there is a subnote that address parking lot type bill. basicly it same all firearms kept in the parking lot must be not be loaded, must be in a locked container seperate from the ammo.

so basicly they want us to come to work and fondle with are guns in an unlit parking lot early in the morning.. chambering and rechambering the same rounds all in the name of safty. :banghead:

But, isn't that contrary to state law? The state law doesn't say anything about the condition of the gun, only that it not be in plain sight. I don't think the company policy would hold up if scrutinized. JMO
- Scott
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:I know that generally an employer's policy manual can override the absence of a 30.06 sign. Here is the wording in our policy manual. What is your take on this passage?

It has three effects:

1. Anyone illegally possessing firearms or weapons can be charged criminally and fired.
2. CHL's cannot be charged criminally as there is no 30.06 language constituting notice.
3. CHL's can be fired for violating company policy.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Jumping Frog wrote:

It has three effects:

1. Anyone illegally possessing firearms or weapons can be charged criminally and fired.
2. CHL's cannot be charged criminally as there is no 30.06 language constituting notice.
3. CHL's can be fired for violating company policy.
Thanks! Guess I'll start working remote now. :mrgreen:

Texas Sheepdog

Post by Texas Sheepdog »

It doesn't sound ambiguous to me. Company policy prohibits weapons and they can fire you, unless the law says they can't fire you. Parking lot protection is one example.

Topic author
Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Texas Sheepdog wrote:It doesn't sound ambiguous to me. Company policy prohibits weapons and they can fire you, unless the law says they can't fire you. Parking lot protection is one example.
We can agree to disagree on this one. IMO, it could be worded much more explicitly. I believe Jumping Frog's response was the best at disambiguating the language.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”