State Employees and concealed carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BoneDigger
Posts in topic: 2

State Employees and concealed carry?

Post by BoneDigger »

I work for a state organization and have to drive quite often, all across east Texas and often as far as Big Bend. I have been told that it is illegal to carry while working. Is this a state law or a departmental policy?

Todd

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 1

Re: State Employees and concealed carry?

Post by txinvestigator »

BoneDigger wrote:I work for a state organization and have to drive quite often, all across east Texas and often as far as Big Bend. I have been told that it is illegal to carry while working. Is this a state law or a departmental policy?

Todd
It is not illegal for you to carry while driving around in Texas. There are places that are illegal for you to carry.

Do you have a CHL?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Smokewagon

Post by Smokewagon »

I know two ladies that work for Texas Dept. of Public Safety. They are both civilian employees and both inspect inspection stations. I'm not sure what the job titles are but they drive alot in their personal vehicles. One has CHL and carries on the job, the other does not. :grin:
Texas friendly, spoken here.

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Welcome SmokeWagon !
I like that, can't remember the movie title that I'm thinking of but it was Kurt Russell talking to Billy Bob Thornton. Can't help but laugh !!!

deadeyearcher

Post by deadeyearcher »

it is Tombstone

Topic author
BoneDigger
Posts in topic: 2

truck

Post by BoneDigger »

I realize that when I am in my personal truck I can carry, but I'm talking about when I am working and driving a state vehicle. The agency I am talking about is TPWD, and I am NOT a licensed officer (Game Warden or State Parks Police). I have been told that I cannot carry:

1) At work (regional office)
2) In my state truck
3) In a park (while working, I realize off work is OK).
4) At any time that I am working

I'm just wondering if this is a state law somewhere, or if it is just departmental policy?

Todd

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Todd - there is no state law to prevent you from carrying at work.

However, your employer, no matter who it is, has the right to forbid you to carry at work. And, if they own the vehicle you drive, then yes, it IS company property and they can forbid you from carrying on, or in, their property.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

barres

Post by barres »

Texas Administrative Code Title 37, Part 6, Chapter 151, Rule §151.21 forbids any employee of TDCJ (and the Windham School District) from carrying a firearm in a state or personal vehicle while on duty. It does not appear to be an arrestable offense, but it would cost me my job. Perhaps TPWD has a similar entry in the TAC.

With the Castle Doctrine soon to be signed into law, preventing (essentially) the lawsuits that could follow a righteous shooting, Iwonder what it would take to get this overturned so that TDCJ employees travelling on state business can protect themselves without jeopardizing their careers?
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I have a real problem with people being told that they can't carry when traveling for business.

My mom worked in a clerical position at a police department many years ago. They encouraged her to carry in her car, since the station was in a bad part of town.

She now has a clerical position in a federal courthouse. Despite the bad part of town, she was specifically told not to have a gun in her vehicle. This irks me. Although I don't entirely approve of the idea that she can't bring a gun into the federal building, I can at least accept it.
The fact that she can't have a firearm while on her way to and from work bothers me. I wish a bill would be written to end that.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Commander

Post by Commander »

BoneDigger, that has to be a TPWD policy. There has been similar discussion on this forum before about state agencies prohibiting employees with CHL from carrying while on duty. After the change in law that prohibited government agencies from posting 30.06 signs, DPS dropped its policy that prohibited civilian employees from carrying on duty. Seems like other agencies did not follow suit.
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”