Daycare and Pre-Schools

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Daycare and Pre-Schools

Post by Keith B »

Scott_09 wrote:Hello everyone. Is there anyone experience with Phoenix preschool? Actually, I am going to enroll my 4 years kids with a local school and wondering if this rule applies to phoenix kindergartens or not.
Phoenix appears to be part of All Saints Episcopal parochial school, so while a non-accredited preschool would not be off limits the other portion being a school would make it CHL persona non grata.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

MotherBear
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MotherBear »

tommyg wrote:I would think twice before carry in a day care someone might freak out and call the cops and make a bad scene
I carry at preschool story time at the library. I carry teaching preschool Sunday school at my church. I carry at the pediatrician's office. I carry at the children's museum. As of yet, no one has freaked out and called the cops and made a bad scene... maybe 'cause it's concealed. ;)

scottmeador

Post by scottmeador »

Ok, how about a pre-school sponsored by a non-posted parochial entity?

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Keith B wrote: Daycare's are not schools. Pre-school is also not a school. There is not case law that defines exactly what a school is, but it is generally believed to be a public school that is accredited by the Texas Education Agency or a private school that is ceritifed by the Texas Private School Accreditation Commission.
I completely agree with Keith that those accreditation mean that those facilities are school.
What I don't necessarily agree with is that a pre-school doesn't fit the definition of school. The law is often very specific about definitions (such as 30.06), but is fairly vague when it comes to "school". Until they establish case law on it, I'm going to treat all pre-schools like schools.... That's just my conservative cover-my-rear view.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

scottmeador wrote:Ok, how about a pre-school sponsored by a non-posted parochial entity?
If the pre-school is in the same building as an accredited school or one that meets the state's guidelines as a school then it doesn't matter if it is posted or not. A CHLee is still not allowed to carry in there.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

SewTexas wrote:the general understanding seems to be that if you work at one you can not carry, but if you are a parent picking up or dropping off your child, you can, so long as it's not posted. that's what we discussed when someone who worked at one did some research a year or so ago.
The law does not make that distinction.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

tommyg wrote:I would think twice before carry in a day care someone might freak out and call the cops and make a bad scene

And? Might one say that about the mall?
Texas CHL Instructor

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

cb1000rider wrote:
Keith B wrote: Daycare's are not schools. Pre-school is also not a school. There is not case law that defines exactly what a school is, but it is generally believed to be a public school that is accredited by the Texas Education Agency or a private school that is ceritifed by the Texas Private School Accreditation Commission.
I completely agree with Keith that those accreditation mean that those facilities are school.
What I don't necessarily agree with is that a pre-school doesn't fit the definition of school. The law is often very specific about definitions (such as 30.06), but is fairly vague when it comes to "school". Until they establish case law on it, I'm going to treat all pre-schools like schools.... That's just my conservative cover-my-rear view.
Most pre-schools have kindergarden and require the same immunizations, paperwork, and documentation you would need to attend an accredited elementary school. A prosecutor could make a convincing argument and a jury would find it reasonable to consider a pre-school faucility an educational institution - accredited or not. Until they clarify or change the law to allow CHL's to carry in schools, I wouldn't risk it. Daycares, on the other hand, one could reasonably argue are not a school/educational institution. These are my thoughts, anyway.

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

jbarn wrote:
SewTexas wrote:the general understanding seems to be that if you work at one you can not carry, but if you are a parent picking up or dropping off your child, you can, so long as it's not posted. that's what we discussed when someone who worked at one did some research a year or so ago.
IIRC, that conversation hinged on CPS and similar regulations. I seem to recall that foster care and its onerous regulations wormed its way into the conversation. I can't remember the rules and codes cited but the distinction was carrying to enter vs. carrying while in charge of the children. Remember, it's for the children! :roll:
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Dragonfighter wrote:
jbarn wrote:
IIRC, that conversation hinged on CPS and similar regulations. I seem to recall that foster care and its onerous regulations wormed its way into the conversation. I can't remember the rules and codes cited but the distinction was carrying to enter vs. carrying while in charge of the children. Remember, it's for the children! :roll:
I don't see a penal code violation there. If there is some other code I am interested. I have students who work in day care.
Texas CHL Instructor

LAD

Post by LAD »

I was not happy with the 30.06 sign posted at my daycare center and called the owner. Found out that Texas law and the licensing board have different rules. Under Texas law, my understanding is that a CHL can conceal carry (since they can't see it) when picking up the child from a daycare center, NOT a school (schools are off limits).
However, after calling the licensing board, here is what they state in their rules - which would take precedent since they can revoke the daycare license-: https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/documents/ ... enters.pdf
§746.3707 Are firearms or other weapons allowed at my child-care center?
Subchapter S, Safety Practices
Division 1, Safety Precautions
September 2003
(a) Law enforcement officials who are trained and certified to carry a firearm on duty
may have firearms or ammunition on the premises of the child-care center.
High
(b) For all other persons, firearms, hunting knives, bows and arrows, and other
weapons are prohibited on the premises of the child-care center, unless the
child-care center is also your residence.
(c) Firearms, hunting knives, bows and arrows, and other weapons kept on the
premises of a child-care center located in your home must remain in a locked
cabinet inaccessible to children during all hours of operation.
(d) Ammunition must be kept in a separate locked cabinet and inaccessible to
children during all hours of operation.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

This needs to be addressed in 2017.

"For the purposes of this section, an educational institution is one that is accredited by the TEA or blah, blah, blah"

That would fix the issue of day cares, and also deal with our fine feathered friends at the various zoos who declare that they are an educational institution to infringe on the most law abiding citizen's rights.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

LAD wrote:I was not happy with the 30.06 sign posted at my daycare center and called the owner. Found out that Texas law and the licensing board have different rules. Under Texas law, my understanding is that a CHL can conceal carry (since they can't see it) when picking up the child from a daycare center, NOT a school (schools are off limits).
However, after calling the licensing board, here is what they state in their rules - which would take precedent since they can revoke the daycare license-: https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/documents/ ... enters.pdf
§746.3707 Are firearms or other weapons allowed at my child-care center?
Subchapter S, Safety Practices
Division 1, Safety Precautions
September 2003
(a) Law enforcement officials who are trained and certified to carry a firearm on duty
may have firearms or ammunition on the premises of the child-care center.
High
(b) For all other persons, firearms, hunting knives, bows and arrows, and other
weapons are prohibited on the premises of the child-care center, unless the
child-care center is also your residence.
(c) Firearms, hunting knives, bows and arrows, and other weapons kept on the
premises of a child-care center located in your home must remain in a locked
cabinet inaccessible to children during all hours of operation.
(d) Ammunition must be kept in a separate locked cabinet and inaccessible to
children during all hours of operation.
I've been carefully watching the day cares in my area. I've not seen any new signs. I'm interested because Childcare Licesinng (CCL) a part of Family and Protective Services (FPS) sent out an email to our church which has a CCL regulated daycare. They state specifically that nothing has changed - they have ALWAYS prohibited CC in their licensed facilities. The email goes through a Q&A which talks about firearms relative to child care housed in a private home. CC is prohibited there, too. They cite the Administrative Code, not the TPC as their authority. I think it is another case where the hoopla over open carry opened their eyes about CC because they included the 30.06, 30.07 language for signs, though they say that they do not require signs. Our church has decided to prohibit OC via written notice. I'm not sure how that is going to fly with CCL. Our parent handbook, which the parents must sign, now includes a statement saying OC and CC are prohibited.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

john23 wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:This needs to be addressed in 2017.

"For the purposes of this section, an Calgary online Preschool educational institution is one that is accredited by the TEA or blah, blah, blah"

That would fix the issue of day cares, and also deal with our fine feathered friends at the various zoos who declare that they are an educational institution to infringe on the most law abiding citizen's rights.

Hello,

Can you tell me which type of preschools are good for kids??
Staying home with Mom has a pretty good track record.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Liberty wrote:
john23 wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:This needs to be addressed in 2017.

"For the purposes of this section, an Calgary online Preschool educational institution is one that is accredited by the TEA or blah, blah, blah"

Hello,

Can you tell me which type of preschools are good for kids??
Staying home with Mom has a pretty good track record.
Depends on the mom...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”