Flying to FL on AA

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
grumble
Posts in topic: 3

Flying to FL on AA

Post by grumble »

Flying to sunny FL on AA soon. I've never packed a firearm before. Read all of the regulations and it says locked in a "hard-sided" case. Would the hard-plastic case my XD came in qualify as a proper hard-case? If I took the flexible gun lock and wrapped it around the handle and locked it up, is that acceptable? Can factory boxed ammunition be simply placed in the suitcase itself or does it need to be in a locked hard-case as well?

TIA.

G.
Who are my congressmen again? http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Flying to FL on AA

Post by jimlongley »

grumble wrote:Flying to sunny FL on AA soon. I've never packed a firearm before. Read all of the regulations and it says locked in a "hard-sided" case. Would the hard-plastic case my XD came in qualify as a proper hard-case? If I took the flexible gun lock and wrapped it around the handle and locked it up, is that acceptable? Can factory boxed ammunition be simply placed in the suitcase itself or does it need to be in a locked hard-case as well?

TIA.

G.
I have seen guns packed that way, and it should still pass.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

You need to use a case that is not easily pried open and remains "locked and completely closed" unless you open the lock. Wrapping a flex lock around a plastic handle, it seems to me, would allow you enough room to get a finger or two inside the box without opening the lock. Open the tabs, pry open the plastic with your fingers or a small tool. IMO, this is not sufficient. Just my opinion.

For about $20 at Academy I bought a nanovault. It's a metal case with a keyed lock. It also has a steel cable that can be wrapped around the internal frame of your luggage (if you have an internal frame) such that the gun box cannot be separated from the luggage without a bolt cutter (or similar). Still no guarantee your entire luggage won't be stolen, but, more difficult to steal than a small box floating around unattached inside your luggage.

Ammo can go inside the gun box or inside your luggage. Only caveat I'm familiar with is that the ammo cannot be inside the gun. I believe a loaded magazine would be ok, IF the magazine was inside a small box. The primer for the first round should not be exposed to any accidental impact that might cause it to be set off. I usually put ammo back into a factory cardboard box with a plastic rack and put this inside the nanovault.

Also..... The luggage itself MUST have a TSA-compliant lock. I hold the TSA lock in my hand until the bag has been inspected by TSA, then I ask them to put it on. You cannot touch the bag after it has been inspected. I keep the key for the gun box on my person. I have never been asked to open the gun box. Many people report differently. Not sure why.

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

I second the nano case--I have one that I really like for such things. As a bonus, it's a great "quick-fix" for a place to lock up a pistol in the rental car.

That said, while the pistol has to be in a hard-sided case, if the luggage itself is locked with a non-TSA lock, and the hardsided factory case is inside your suitcase, it'll pass muster. A simple masterlock/padlock on that case will also help. That's not the best option, but I have flown AA and Delta just that way in the past (3-4 years ago).

Ammo should be in its original box or a container specifically designed for ammo. I personally use MTM Case-Guard reloader's boxes, but just because I have a garage full of them.

I've gotten away with putting my loaded magazines into my belt carriers (rounds enclosed), unloading the pistol (I often pull the slide from the frame) and putting the pistol and mags, in their carriers, all in a 2-pistol case, locked that in my suitcase, and rolled with it.

Be aware that the ticket agents and TSA aren't always sure what to do about a firearm...be prepared to educate them and know the routines. They're not allowed to actually handle the pistol, nor are you during the check. I've never been asked nor allowed to "show clear" -- just confirm that it's unloaded. They usually do some prefunctory poking and prodding of the foam liners of my gun case -- (looking for weapons??? :smilelol5: ) and send me on my way.

If you're flying out of D/FW (I see you're in that area) or Love, it should be routine to them as a seat assignment, but other airports not so much.

The key thing to remember is that you should tell the ticket agent "I need to declare a firearm" not "I have a gun" :biggrinjester:
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Topic author
grumble

Post by grumble »

cbunt1 wrote: The key thing to remember is that you should tell the ticket agent "I need to declare a firearm" not "I have a gun" :biggrinjester:
Lol I learned that type of lesson when the ticket counter gal wouldn't accept my US passport as my sole form of ID - so I asked if my lifetime NRA membership card would suffice.

:lol:

Yes, it's a darn good thing I was 3 hours early for my flight - I needed every minute of it... :rolll

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

I've carried in the case my S&W and Kahr came in and a Plano two-pistol case, all with just a padlock in the provided hole. I probably could have cut the lock off with my knife. Definitely could have pried the corners up some. Neither clerks nor TSA have ever said a thing.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

IChangIT

Post by IChangIT »

I used the manuf supplied plastic box also (Ruger) and put a small lock thru the molded in hole, but I would have felt much more comfortable with a nanovault. The ammo just went in its original box and in the same luggage.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
[ Image ]
I agree with this method/device...I have used this in the past when I declared my firearm, and had zero problems with this method...Your milage may vary depending upon the discretion of the ticket agent and the TSA at that particular airport...

I have never been subjected to any additional scrutiny or special screening...The ticket agent gave me the slip of paper, usually a nifty little sticker that attached to the safe and we locked it up, placed it back in the piece of luggage, and I locked that up with my own lock and away it went...I do not know if the TSA even screened the luggage after that, as I was not called to come and unlock the suitcase after I checked it in...

As far as ammunition, I packed the unloaded and separate magazines (3) in the bag outside the safe, and the ammunition NOT in the manufacturers cardboard box, I packed those rounds, and only the rounds for a complete magazine loadout in a plastic, segmented per round reloaders container...A much more professional and rugged container in my opinion...Since I carry a .45, it was only 25 rounds 9, plus two 8 round magazines...And since it was only for self-defense, and not a competition I was going to, that was it...

I have only had a couple of incidents that were reported to the TSA about the whole "handling of the firearm" bit...These folks were hopefully re-trained and explained that their actions wre incorrect and against TSA policy...

For the most part, I have had no problems flying with a declared firearm for this purpose...That has been on Southwest, Delta, and AA...United (I recall from past experiences) did have the most squeemish ticket agents, which I believe extended to the TSA on those particular trips...But we got thru them ok...Eventually...

I would also carry a few extra zip-ties, to lock the action back in the case of SA's if you carry those types of handguns...You zip-tie them back before they are viewed by the ticket agent and TSA, if it ever comes to that, and if they somehow break those zip-ties, you have a little more horsepower to take issue with their "handling" of your personal property when they do not have to...And are not supposed to, per their own rules and regulations...

Also, be cool about all of this, show no reaction to their personal opinions and statements regarding your capabilities and or reasons for flying with these items...Give them NO excuse, in any protesting reaction to their input, that would justify their opinion of you and the rest of us...Most people in this process are not a problem at all...Some would try, go out of their way, to get a reaction out of you...It depends on where you are for the most part...You have the right to remain silent...Not that you are in any trouble at all for doing this, you are following the rules, and they know this...

Just thought I would relate some of my experiences on this issue again...

Ohhhh, and make sure you take a printout of the state you are visiting (handgunlaws.us), their research on the rules/laws on the use of deadly force in other states, and the "go, no-go" places as well...We've learned that some states have different rules regarding that aspect of the CCW laws, and it should be expected that we have knowledge and abide by their laws when we visit...I proves that you are a great ambassador for the CCW community and the Second Amendment in general...And that IS what we should desire to accomplish and succeed with this issue...

Overall, have a great, and safe trip!!!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

grumble wrote:
cbunt1 wrote: The key thing to remember is that you should tell the ticket agent "I need to declare a firearm" not "I have a gun" :biggrinjester:
Lol I learned that type of lesson when the ticket counter gal wouldn't accept my US passport as my sole form of ID - so I asked if my lifetime NRA membership card would suffice.

:lol:

Yes, it's a darn good thing I was 3 hours early for my flight - I needed every minute of it... :rolll
That's really unusual...Not accepting a US government issued passport as a sole form of ID??? I assume that was at DFW???

We have a trip planned for this summer going from DFW to Seattle, and then on to Juneau, AK for an 8 day Inlet passage cruise...the trip back will be an exact reverse of the inbound trip...Since I am not driving, I do not plan on having my TX DL readily available for traveling purposes, as I have had no problems flying with my passport only for ID purposes, even for domestic travel...

How long ago was your trip where they did this to you???
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Ace_Inthe_O

Post by Ace_Inthe_O »

I have traveled multiple times with handguns and the factory case and lock will work just fine. Your concern should around the sticky finger TSA agents and baggage handleers once your bag goes down the conveyor belt. Also if you are flying out of Terminal B they may tell you that they can't check it at the counter and they have to send it down the conveyor belt and check it in the baggage handling area...Tell them NO...it will take some convincing but they will bring someone up to check it in front of you.
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

Good tips from Stevie_D_64 :thumbs2:
I usually zip-tie the barrel when I'm putting it in the case.
Except for when the parking lot is busy and I get uneasy about too much gun handling in close proximity to other travelers.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
grumble

Post by grumble »

stevie_d_64 wrote: That's really unusual...Not accepting a US government issued passport as a sole form of ID??? I assume that was at DFW???

We have a trip planned for this summer going from DFW to Seattle, and then on to Juneau, AK for an 8 day Inlet passage cruise...the trip back will be an exact reverse of the inbound trip...Since I am not driving, I do not plan on having my TX DL readily available for traveling purposes, as I have had no problems flying with my passport only for ID purposes, even for domestic travel...

How long ago was your trip where they did this to you???
This was in 2008. There's more to the story. I was annoyed that she asked for my NJ Driver's License (this happened in Newark, NJ) as I had handed her my passport. Tried to gently make a point. She got more demanding, I got more sarcastic. Not a smart move, probably - but it was entertaining!

Seriously, however, I'd make certain that I ALWAYS have my state-issued ID (aka driver's license) on my person at all times if I'm traveling. It's just easier.

Good luck!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

RoyGBiv wrote:Good tips from Stevie_D_64 :thumbs2:
I usually zip-tie the barrel when I'm putting it in the case.
Except for when the parking lot is busy and I get uneasy about too much gun handling in close proximity to other travelers.
I roll the dice and have it all zipped up and secure before I get to the airport...That doesn't mean I do not have another "item" that I secure in my vehicle while we are away...

Anything you can do to demonstrate that YOU are aware of the airline guidelines/rules for these items, the better...

I never say the word "gun"...

I do say to the ticket agent...

"I have an item that I need to declare, and I need the paperwork/sticker so I can fill that out for you, please...Thank you very much (smile)..."

"Oh, ok, I can step aside while I do this for you (fill out the paperwork)...Sure, help the next person and I'll come back to you, ok (smile)?"

"Thank you, you did great!!! I'm having a great trip already!!! (smile)..."

I also have in the carry on bag, everything that I would normally carry in my pockets (everything like ID's, with the only exception the ticket and boarding pass, that's it)...I also take off the belt, and wear shoes that kick off pretty easy...No nasty flip-flops or other shower type footwear...I'm usually through the TSA before they know it...

I've never been called back (yet) to be interrogated because of the scan they may, or may not do, on my check in luggage...If they see it, I have been told I will not be hard to find waiting at the gate...

I don't see many problems, and I have gone to great lengths to avoid giving ANYONE in the process an excuse to embarrass, cajole, harrass, because I make the mistake of making too much of a big deal out of my flying with a firearm (in my checked bag :roll: ) if you know what you are doing, it shows...

It does matter where you are in the country as well...Make sure you are up on the true temperament of those airport folks and local law enforcement on the issue...Whether that attitude is positive, neutral, or even negative...If the law says you can, then its up to you to be as good an ambassador for the cause as possible...

Just remember, smile, no matter how much it hurts if they have a problem with you, which is rare from what I have seen... :thumbs2:
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”