Church Volunteer Security Groups

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Church Volunteer Security Groups

Post by SewTexas »

I go to a mid-size church that doesn't bring in a whole lot of money, we can't afford extra insurance so forming our own security company isn't going to happen, we have to pay for a police officer on weeks we know we are going to be busy. It's ridiculous we can't form a security committee and protect our own church, so we don't have a security committee.

there are certain laws I hate - those that really only benefit a particular industry or two, fall into that category....personally, I think those are probably unconstitutional, not sure though.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 12

Post by EEllis »

SewTexas wrote:I go to a mid-size church that doesn't bring in a whole lot of money, we can't afford extra insurance so forming our own security company isn't going to happen, we have to pay for a police officer on weeks we know we are going to be busy. It's ridiculous we can't form a security committee and protect our own church, so we don't have a security committee.

there are certain laws I hate - those that really only benefit a particular industry or two, fall into that category....personally, I think those are probably unconstitutional, not sure though.
You don't have to form your own company. There are companies that will give you training, legally license you, and charge just a couple of dollars for working. Basically you pay then enough for the fees and the insurance and what would be small profit and the church supplies the labor. It's not free but it would make your money go a lot further.
Last edited by EEllis on Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

:roll: Just do it!

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 11

Post by SewTexas »

I'll have to look into it.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Dad24GreatKids
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dad24GreatKids »

EEllis wrote:
SewTexas wrote:I go to a mid-size church that doesn't bring in a whole lot of money, we can't afford extra insurance so forming our own security company isn't going to happen, we have to pay for a police officer on weeks we know we are going to be busy. It's ridiculous we can't form a security committee and protect our own church, so we don't have a security committee.

You don't have to form your own company. There are companies that will give you training, legally license you, and charge just a couple of dollars for working. Basically you pay then enough for the fees and the insurance and what would be small profit and the church supplies the labor. It's not free but it would make your money go a lot further.
Gatekeeperssecurity is one of those companies. I have attended some of their training. I've also spent a few hours with their owner Chuck Chadwick. Seems like a straight up guy.
Dad24GreatKids
NRA Life member
TSRA

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 12

Post by EEllis »

Dad24GreatKids wrote:
EEllis wrote:

Gatekeeperssecurity is one of those companies. I have attended some of their training. I've also spent a few hours with their owner Chuck Chadwick. Seems like a straight up guy.
I wasn't advocating anything just noting that there are options.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

The Preacher or Elders or whomever is in a position of authority needs to pass to the congregation that anyone within the congregation caving a CHL is subject to Texas law and the church does not post 30.06. Do not say or imply anything about security or security groups. Do not tank about congregation members being part of Church security at future meetings, etc..

carlson1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by carlson1 »

We do not post a 30.06 sign. We do suggest everyone who can legally do so take a CHL class.

One of the requirements to be on the church staff is you must have a CHL. :thumbs2:

jmra
Posts in topic: 14

Post by jmra »

carlson1 wrote:One of the requirements to be on the church staff is you must have a CHL. :thumbs2:
Love it!
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

carlson1 wrote:We do not post a 30.06 sign. We do suggest everyone who can legally do so take a CHL class.

One of the requirements to be on the church staff is you must have a CHL. :thumbs2:
Interesting requiring church staff to have a chl..

carlson1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by carlson1 »

texanjoker wrote:
carlson1 wrote:We do not post a 30.06 sign. We do suggest everyone who can legally do so take a CHL class.

It is one of the perks of being an Independent Baptist Pastor.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

carlson1 wrote:
texanjoker wrote:

Nothing wrong with that.... :thumbs2:

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

carlson1 wrote:
texanjoker wrote:

Who says Baptists don't know how to have fun???? "rlol"

gugisman
Posts in topic: 28

Church Volunteer Security Groups: RPT Resolution Passed To

Post by gugisman »

[bTX Republican Party Resolution Passed by Subcommittee today - Goes to full committee tomorrow:[/b]

As a delegate to the state convention I successfully submitted (and it passed) the following resolution pertaining to Church Volunteer Security Groups:

RESOLUTION IN SUPPORT OF SB1324 - VOLUNTEER SAFETY/SECURITY GROUPS AT CHURCHES, SYNAGOGUES AND OTHER PLACES OF RELIGIOUS WORSHIP

WHEREAS provisions in TX Occupational Code, section 1702 prohibits CHL holders on church security groups from carrying their firearms, and,
WHEREAS the provision was enacted primarily due to lobbying by private security organizations, and,
WHEREAS this provision unnecessarily prevents churches from rightfully protecting their church members with volunteers such as retired federal, state and local law enforcement officers, as well as private citizens with CHL’s, and,
WHEREAS there exists currently, in the State legislature – a bill: SB1324, as amended, that will immediately and effectively address this deficiency ,
BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED, that the (Republican Party of Texas) supports the passage SB1324 as a legislative priority during the 84th session of the TX State legislature.

Additionally, fellow gun rights activist Rachel Malone passed the following resolution:

We call upon the 84th Texas Legislature to propose to the people of Texas a Constitutional Amendment to strike: "; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime" from Article 1, Section 23 of the Texas Constitution."
We direct the State Party Chair and the State Republican Executive Committee to consider adoption of such an amendment and other legislation necessary to remove restrictions on Texans' right to own and bear arms - a legislative priority for the Republican Party of Texas for the 2015 legislative session and to utilize reasonable Party resources necessary to promote and support their passage.

Eric Inman
SD12

Your support, as a delegate, alternate, committee member, or any other voting member of the body is requested as this goes to the full committee tomorrow, June 4th, at approximately 1000 am.

scottmeador

Re: Church Volunteer Security Groups: RPT Resolution Passed

Post by scottmeador »

gugisman wrote:[bTX Republican Party Resolution Passed by Subcommittee today - Goes to full committee tomorrow:[/b]

As a delegate to the state convention I successfully submitted (and it passed) the following resolution pertaining to Church Volunteer Security Groups:

RESOLUTION IN SUPPORT OF SB1324 - VOLUNTEER SAFETY/SECURITY GROUPS AT CHURCHES, SYNAGOGUES AND OTHER PLACES OF RELIGIOUS WORSHIP

WHEREAS provisions in TX Occupational Code, section 1702 prohibits CHL holders on church security groups from carrying their firearms, and,
WHEREAS the provision was enacted primarily due to lobbying by private security organizations, and,
WHEREAS this provision unnecessarily prevents churches from rightfully protecting their church members with volunteers such as retired federal, state and local law enforcement officers, as well as private citizens with CHL’s, and,
WHEREAS there exists currently, in the State legislature – a bill: SB1324, as amended, that will immediately and effectively address this deficiency ,
BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED, that the (Republican Party of Texas) supports the passage SB1324 as a legislative priority during the 84th session of the TX State legislature.

Additionally, fellow gun rights activist Rachel Malone passed the following resolution:

We call upon the 84th Texas Legislature to propose to the people of Texas a Constitutional Amendment to strike: "; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime" from Article 1, Section 23 of the Texas Constitution."
We direct the State Party Chair and the State Republican Executive Committee to consider adoption of such an amendment and other legislation necessary to remove restrictions on Texans' right to own and bear arms - a legislative priority for the Republican Party of Texas for the 2015 legislative session and to utilize reasonable Party resources necessary to promote and support their passage.

Eric Inman
SD12

Your support, as a delegate, alternate, committee member, or any other voting member of the body is requested as this goes to the full committee tomorrow, June 4th, at approximately 1000 am.

I hope that this will make it to the floor so we can vote on it this weekend.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”