Church Volunteer Security Groups

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

gugisman
Posts in topic: 28

Re: Church Volunteer Security Groups

Post by gugisman »

Yes... me too. Please help spread the word that these may come up.

Also, in sub-committee today, a majority vote reiterated the absolute desire to NOT have a Constitutional Convention.

Rather, clarifying language was added that clearly states the support for an 'Article V Convention of States for the Purpose of Proposing Amendments to Rein In The Federal Government.' With out-of-control executive, legislative and judicial branches of government, this is the best course to follow.

The subject is sure to stir passions as so much effort has been made to quash any Article V action. Your help in calmly and eloquently explaining the differences - and need, is requested.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 11

Post by SewTexas »

so, just to clarify, I need to ask the several friends I have at the convention to support this?

RESOLUTION IN SUPPORT OF SB1324 - VOLUNTEER SAFETY/SECURITY GROUPS AT CHURCHES, SYNAGOGUES AND OTHER PLACES OF RELIGIOUS WORSHIP

is that how is works?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

gugisman

Post by gugisman »

Yes...

If they are able to testify tomorrow before the full committee - that is the first opportunity, and
2, if it passes the full committee, all delegates will have the opportunity to vote on it during open session.

Thank you!

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 11

Post by SewTexas »

thanks, I have several friends up there right now.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Deltaboy »

Thanks we are forming one and look forward to seeing this stupid law changed. I had never heard about this Law
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

gugisman

Strike When the Iron is Hot! TX Republican Party Adds Gun Pl

Post by gugisman »

:clapping: Now is a great time to contact state representatives to let them know that the TX republican party has made removing restrictions on Texans' right to own and bear arms a priority on their 2014 platform. :clapping:

This is the resolution that was adopted by the 2014 Republican Convention Delegates:

"We call upon the 84th Texas Legislature to propose to the people of Texas a Constitutional Amendment to strike “; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime” from Article I, Section 23 of the Texas Constitution.

"Further, we request the State Party Chair and the State Republican Executive Committee to consider adoption of such an Amendment and other legislation necessary to remove restrictions on Texans' right to own and bear arms a legislative priority for the Republican Party of Texas for the 2015 legislative session and to utilize reasonable Party resources necessary to promote and support their passage."

Remind our legislators that SB1324 is ready for passage. Call, write, and attend the committee meeting/s where languishing gun bills will be heard. The 84th session of the TX State Legislature will focus on gun rights!

Rep. Pete Sessions said this morning that the legislature will be making gun law a priority, and, that he and others support open carry.

E. Inman
SD12 Delegate

gugisman

Post by gugisman »

Does anyone know if a new bill has been prepared, or the previous ones renamed or resubmitted?

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Strike When the Iron is Hot! TX Republican Party Adds Gu

Post by gringo pistolero »

gugisman wrote: Now is a great time to contact state representatives to let them know that the TX republican party has made removing restrictions on Texans' right to own and bear arms a priority on their 2014 platform. :clapping:
CHL is not prohibited in church unless they post 30.06 signs or give other effective notice.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 19

Post by mojo84 »

gringo pistolero wrote:
gugisman wrote: Now is a great time to contact state representatives to let them know that the TX republican party has made removing restrictions on Texans' right to own and bear arms a priority on their 2014 platform. :clapping:
CHL is not prohibited in church unless they post 30.06 signs or give other effective notice.
You are correct in your statement. However, this discussion is about church security groups and that it's illegal for people to carry while participating in church security activities.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gringo pistolero »

mojo84 wrote:You are correct in your statement. However, this discussion is about church security groups and that it's illegal for people to carry while participating in church security activities.
:iagree: Non-Church too. If you want to do security guard work, you need to follow the security guard rules.
Last edited by gringo pistolero on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Actually, it does. It inhibits church members from carrying while performing the functions of various groups such as deacons and ushers that are also responsible for helping make sure the church and members are safe.
Last edited by mojo84 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by carlson1 »

How does this stop deacons and ushers from carrying? At my church they are not part of any security. I am the Pastor and I am more responsible than my men to make sure my people are safe.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

It's against the law if they are carrying out any duties that involve providing security.At our church, the deacons and ushers are involved in providing security and responding to breaches of security in conjunction with the hired off duty cop. As a deacon, technically, I can't carry when I'm "on duty", we have a rotation system in place, as part of our responsibilities are to provide a certain level of security. When its not my weekend to be " on duty", technically I can carry.

It's covered in this thread. This is why the laws need to be changed.
Last edited by mojo84 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

carlson1 wrote:How does this stop deacons and ushers from carrying? At my church they are not part of any security. I am the Pastor and I am more responsible than my men to make sure my people are safe.

You didn't read my entire sentence. I said "deacons and ushers that are also responsible for helping make sure the church and members are safe". If they don't have this as part of their responsibility in your church, then it doesn't apply in your particular case.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Keith B »

mojo84 wrote:
carlson1 wrote:How does this stop deacons and ushers from carrying? At my church they are not part of any security. I am the Pastor and I am more responsible than my men to make sure my people are safe.

You didn't read my entire sentence. I said "deacons and ushers that are also responsible for helping make sure the church and members are safe". If they don't have this as part of their responsibility in your church, then it doesn't apply in your particular case.
I think the whole issue is if you make it an official function of their position, THEN it is illegal. Our ushers, pastors, deacons, choir members, all watch out for the other members of the church. If you have your hired police officer doing the 'security' and everyone else just doing their church functions, then it's OK. By your definition then a pastor or other official at the church who has a CHL would not be able to carry because by default they are responsible for the safety and overall well-being of the members.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”