Cameron Park Zoo in Waco- posted?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Cameron Park Zoo in Waco- posted?

Post by flechero »

Can anyone confirm the status of Cameron Park Zoo? I didn't see it on 30.06.com but want to check before I head up to Waco with the family.

Thanks!

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Cameron Park Zoo in Waco- posted?

Post by RPB »

I didn't check countyv tax rolls etc but
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Park_Zoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cameron Park covers 416 acres (168 ha), and is one of the largest municipal parks in Texas.

however
http://www.cameronparkzoo.com/donate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cameron Park Zoological and Botanical Society is the non-profit side of the Zoo. The Society allows the Zoo to function as a 501 c 3 organization
I found no "applicable" "rules" regarding firearms etc on website I didn't read entire site...but don't bring pets
http://www.cameronparkzoo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:confused5
Last edited by RPB on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

dicion

Post by dicion »

RPB wrote:I didn't check countyv tax rolls etc but
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Park_Zoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cameron Park covers 416 acres (168 ha), and is one of the largest municipal parks in Texas.

however
http://www.cameronparkzoo.com/donate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cameron Park Zoological and Botanical Society is the non-profit side of the Zoo. The Society allows the Zoo to function as a 501 c 3 organization
:confused5
For a second there, I wondered why you were laughing at it being 418 acres 168 times...
... Then I got it. :banghead: "rlol"

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

Thanks for the info.... I'll report findings tonight. I'll find out for sure in about an hour!

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

On the odd chance anyone else was curious- there is no signage of any kind, related to firearms. (not even a gunbuster sign)

Had a nice time and the weather was great all afternoon!!

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Thanks for the heads up. I might take my girlfriend there the next time she comes to visit.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BAW1967
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BAW1967 »

Looking at the SpiritsTexas app, it shows that at the zoo you can not carry there. Anyone know for sure, going there tomorrow. Thanks.

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

http://www.texas3006.com/view.php?poste ... tion_type=+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not listed.....city property....should be good to go.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Keith B »

Jason K wrote:http://www.texas3006.com/view.php?poste ... tion_type=+

Not listed.....city property....should be good to go.
Actually, you may not be good to go. The Cameron Park Zoological and Botanical Society holds the liquor license for the location. The TABC site shows it as a RED license. Depending on the area defined by the license for the sale and consumption of alcohol, it could be the whole zoo area. I personally believe this license is probably in error as I really doubt the non-profit takes in more than 51% of their income from the sale of alcohol. Someone needs to challenge this one with TABC and request they investigate the receipts and make a determination of 51% or not. Additionally, when you call the TABC office they can pull the records and tell you what area is defined on the license. Until that is determined the entire zoo should be considered off-limits for carry. :banghead:
License #: MB747982

Trade Name: CAMERON PARK ZOOLOGICAL AND BOTANICAL SOCIETY
Owner: CAMERON PARK ZOOLOGICAL AND BOTANICAL SO
Location Address: 1701 N 4TH STREET
WACO , TX 76707

County: McLennan Orig. Issue Date: 5/11/2010
Wine Percent:
Location Phone No.: 254 750-8400

Subordinates:
Related To: Gun Sign: RED
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Scott in Houston »

Oh wow... I've carried in there several times. Uh... err... I mean my friend has.

It's the best zoo in the state IMO. I take my daughter every time we go up there for Baylor stuff, and the weather cooperates. Good stuff! Great zoo! You get closer to many animals than you ever do at larger city zoos.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I have a call in to the TABC currently to get some details and request they check the type of license the Zoo has been issued.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

Scott in Houston wrote:Oh wow... I've carried in there several times. Uh... err... I mean my friend has.

It's the best zoo in the state IMO. I take my daughter every time we go up there for Baylor stuff, and the weather cooperates. Good stuff! Great zoo! You get closer to many animals than you ever do at larger city zoos.
Sic 'em, Bears! One of my favorite zoos, too. Just the right size for a day with the kids, and while it may not be huge what they do have is very well done. I especially like the Brazos River exhibit. I've taken the kids a time or three, but not yet since I got my CHL. Will be interested to see what Keith hears back. I love Waco, lived there four years without incident, but it's the sort of place I find that uncomfortable lump in my waistband to be comforting.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

OK, hate to be the 'bear'er of bad news, but there is no specific area defined on the license so the whole premise is off limits. :banghead:

Apparently the license went to RED when they renewed the application in 2010 due to the way they reported the alcohol sales revenue. I have requested an officer check the location and advise the zoo they need to correct the numbers for total revenue vs. alcohol sales in an effort to get the license changed to blue. If not, then the zoo will be required to post 51% signs at all of their entrances. :grumble
Keith

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Scott in Houston »

Keith B wrote:OK, hate to be the 'bear'er of bad news, but there is no specific area defined on the license so the whole premise is off limits. :banghead:

Apparently the license went to RED when they renewed the application in 2010 due to the way they reported the alcohol sales revenue. I have requested an officer check the location and advise the zoo they need to correct the numbers for total revenue vs. alcohol sales in an effort to get the license changed to blue. If not, then the zoo will be required to post 51% signs at all of their entrances. :grumble
Keith B wrote:OK, hate to be the 'bear'er of bad news, but there is no specific area defined on the license so the whole premise is off limits. :banghead:

Thanks for following up on this! What a cluster.
I think there's something odd with TABC down there. The establishment known as "George's" was improperly posted for a long time. I started a thread about here long ago...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50542&p=616130&hili ... ge#p615805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TABC responded to me several times saying they would follow up, but never have. I think George's still has their signs posted as shown in the thread.
They are a 'blue' location.

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

Booo! Thanks for finding out, though. I had figured on taking the kid sometime this year, but I don't want to run afoul of a 51% location. Ugh.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”