RE: What would you do if you saw his gun?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Re: RE: What would you do if you saw his gun?

Post by Allons »

MadMonkey wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:56 am I was overseas when this was posted so I'll throw in my two cents... if they're carrying in a holster, it's highly likely they're licensed. If it's just stuffed into their pants with no holster, I'm not going to confront them but I'd be more watchful.

:iagree: I have never heard of a criminal pulling their gun from a holster.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

Depends on what he/she is carrying. If it's a well made gun, I'll probably get into a discussion about guns, gun ranges, ammo choice, etc. If it's a Hi Point, I'll call the company and ask for a different repair person. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Allons

Post by Allons »

Jusme wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:53 am Depends on what he/she is carrying. If it's a well made gun, I'll probably get into a discussion about guns, gun ranges, ammo choice, etc. If it's a Hi Point, I'll call the company and ask for a different repair person. :biggrinjester:
"rlol"
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Is a criminal repairman normally looking to a) case your place so his scruffy friends can burgle it later or b) murder you and wear your skin like a coat? There are some crazies who fit into column b, but the vast majority OF THE CRIMINALS won't want to arouse any suspicion. Therefore, in my view, a weapon places the repair guy in the "not a threat" column.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 3

Post by warnmar10 »

MaduroBU wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:12 am Is a criminal repairman normally looking to a) case your place so his scruffy friends can burgle it later or b) murder you and wear your skin like a coat? There are some crazies who fit into column b, but the vast majority OF THE CRIMINALS won't want to arouse any suspicion. Therefore, in my view, a weapon places the repair guy in the "not a threat" column.
The repairman is leery of customers that fall into column b, winding up in a pit ... it puts the lotion in the basket ... whatnot.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

mojo84 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:18 am Another long dead thread resurrected by a spammers. The zombies are active among us.
Yep, noticed that.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mojo84 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:15 am
warnmar10 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:49 am
mojo84 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:18 am Another long dead thread resurrected by a spammers. The zombies are active among us.
True but still an interesting topic just a relevant today as it was in 2013. While I am no fan of spam at least the spammer bumped an interesting thread. I am probably in the minority but I don't see the problem with necroposting.
Was just pointing out it was an old post. No harm. No foul.
Well, no harm, but sometimes a foul odor from necroposting something that wasn’t properly embalmed to begin with. :mrgreen:

As to the OP’s question, are we talking about his rifle, or his gun? :evil2:
:leaving
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

I'm actually really shocked that there are some here who would demand to see a license from someone in this scenario. I'm more shocked that some would not allow a tradesman to carry in their home. I believe everyone should have the right to carry a gun, with very few exceptions. Far fewer exceptions, I might add, than are currently written into the law. I believe the little plastic "permission slips" we all carry in our wallets are unconstitutional infringements of our God-given rights protected by the Bill of Rights. If someone who is unable to obtain a license to carry is carrying anyway, I'm not going to be the one to get him in trouble over it.

I don't guarantee your safety while you are in my home. You had best provide for that yourself.

If you walk out of my home and see someone stealing from your work truck, I'm not going to shoot him for you. You had best do that yourself.

As long as you are not threatening me or mine, I won't ventilate you. Whether or not you have a gun on you is really just one detail in that equation.

While there is still a practicable means of carrying a gun on my person for the protection of myself and my wife within the confines of the law, I will do so. If the time comes, and it's very much possible that it will, that I am unable to do so while obeying the law, then I will be faced with a decision. I know what I decision I will make. You will have to decide for yourself whether to be an armed criminal or a disarmed serf. Due to some unjust laws, there are those that already have to make this decision. I am not going to call them out over it.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

LucasMcCain wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:39 am I'm actually really shocked that there are some here who would demand to see a license from someone in this scenario. I'm more shocked that some would not allow a tradesman to carry in their home. I believe everyone should have the right to carry a gun, with very few exceptions. Far fewer exceptions, I might add, than are currently written into the law. I believe the little plastic "permission slips" we all carry in our wallets are unconstitutional infringements of our God-given rights protected by the Bill of Rights. If someone who is unable to obtain a license to carry is carrying anyway, I'm not going to be the one to get him in trouble over it.

I don't guarantee your safety while you are in my home. You had best provide for that yourself.

If you walk out of my home and see someone stealing from your work truck, I'm not going to shoot him for you. You had best do that yourself.

As long as you are not threatening me or mine, I won't ventilate you. Whether or not you have a gun on you is really just one detail in that equation.

While there is still a practicable means of carrying a gun on my person for the protection of myself and my wife within the confines of the law, I will do so. If the time comes, and it's very much possible that it will, that I am unable to do so while obeying the law, then I will be faced with a decision. I know what I decision I will make. You will have to decide for yourself whether to be an armed criminal or a disarmed serf. Due to some unjust laws, there are those that already have to make this decision. I am not going to call them out over it.
:iagree:

I'd rather have armed visitors in my home instead of unarmed ones that are going to need protection.

I was considering posting a sign near my front door that states "Trespass Warning - Entry on these premises is contingent upon the carrying of a firearm, if you are legally able to do so. If you are legally able to possess and carry a firearm, and you enter these premises without a firearm, then you will be trespassing. No warning will be given in such circumstances before law enforcement is notified of this criminal offense." That way, I can just call the police to have annoying anti-gun visitors taken from my home without having to confront these potentially crazy loons (non-LTC holders can legally carry a firearm as long as it is not a handgun).

Unfortunately, my wife vetoed this idea, and in our house's system of government it is impossible to override her veto.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:54 pm:iagree:

I'd rather have armed visitors in my home instead of unarmed ones that are going to need protection.

I was considering posting a sign near my front door that states "Trespass Warning - Entry on these premises is contingent upon the carrying of a firearm, if you are legally able to do so. If you are legally able to possess and carry a firearm, and you enter these premises without a firearm, then you will be trespassing. No warning will be given in such circumstances before law enforcement is notified of this criminal offense." That way, I can just call the police to have annoying anti-gun visitors taken from my home without having to confront these potentially crazy loons (non-LTC holders can legally carry a firearm as long as it is not a handgun).

Unfortunately, my wife vetoed this idea, and in our house's system of government it is impossible to override her veto.
I believe that seems to be a common form of domestic government. I believe many refer to it as "Happy Wife, Happy Life".
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
jayinsat
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jayinsat »

How did this thread get revived???
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

jayinsat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:19 pm How did this thread get revived???
CPR?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
jayinsat
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jayinsat »

crazy2medic wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:57 pm
jayinsat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:19 pm How did this thread get revived???
CPR?
More like raising Lazarus from the dead.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

jayinsat wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:37 am In order to avoid hijacking a previous thread http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=64506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I am starting a new one to more broadly discuss the issue of accidental reveals and notifications.

My question is: Do you assume when you notice a gun on a person that the individual is a CHL holder and is legally able to carry? If the person is a repair person and the accidently reveal, do you trust them and not think twice about it? If the person in your home is a long time aquaintance that's one thing. However, suppose you called your cable company to repair the cable. You most likely won't know the repair person. How do you know they are licensed?

My approach is, when I don't have a long relationship with the repair person, I will not assume that said individual is licensed and means me no harm. I would insist on seeing a CHL or demand they leave. I, myself, am always armed at home so I would not panic or cause a major ruckus. If the repair person has a CHL, they may stay and work with my blessing. If not, they must leave or, at least, disarm. I believe in the addage "trust but verify".

Thoughts?
I simply make a note of it and judge each person by their demeanor and actions. If anything I might strike up a friendly conversation with something like, "I see you're carrying, mind if I ask you what make and model?".

The reaction will tell you all you need to know.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

jayinsat wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:33 am
anygunanywhere wrote:This idea that we have to make sure everyone is legally carrying according to the state issued permission cards is something we really need to get over.

Remember the video that mentioned liberty? Liberty means that others can exercise their rights the same as you. If they are acting in a civil manner then why should you care?

What is in my pockets or on my belt is not any of your business.

I probably would not say anything.

I believe in liberty and the second amendment.

Anygunanywhere
I agree with your position Anygun. However, the question is not about just any one anywhere. It's specifically about a person who has entered your home for a service call and in the process of performing their duties, reveals a formerly concealed handgun. Why would it be prudent to assume that person has no ill intentions if you don't know the person? Even if out in public, how do you reasonably distinguish between the criminal and non-criminal if you saw a gun (barring open-carry states)? Accidental reveals will give reason for suspicion. In my home, I think it prudent to ask.
Put yourself in their shoes. Door to door service people, delivery people etc are often targeted particularly those who carry/handle high value merchandise, specialty tools, and/or cash. If you were in that position would you carry?
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”