employer weapons policy opinion

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Re: employer weapons policy opinion

Post by jmra »

C-dub wrote:
C-dub wrote:In my humble and non-lawyerly opinion, I think you would be fired if they found you had a gun on you inside one of their buildings or company vehicles, but they have allowed you the parking lot according to SB321. Now, this is very similar to my company's policy and after the parking lot law went into effect I inquired when my company was going to change their policy. They said they were not and that they knew the law. So, here we are, almost two years later and my company has still not complied with the law and there are many people worried about being discovered and fired, while others have decided to not risk losing their jobs and still do not carry to and from work.
I am in :shock: and :woohoo :clapping: :anamatedbanana :thewave

I learned today that my company has finally changed their policy. And, not only do they now allow a CHL to have a firearm and ammo in their vehicle, the wording also allows anyone legally able to possess a firearm to keep it in their vehicle in the parking lot. It looks like they practically copied the law word for word.
:anamatedbanana
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

jmra wrote:At least per state law you get the parking lot. As an educator I don't even get that.
new law, campuses have to allow CHLers keep their carrys in their vehicle in the parking lot. my private university changed their written policy.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

oohrah wrote:
jmra wrote:At least per state law you get the parking lot. As an educator I don't even get that.
new law, campuses have to allow CHLers keep their carrys in their vehicle in the parking lot. my private university changed their written policy.
Doesn't apply to K-12. I work at a High School.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

That is very similar to my company's handbook. The owner and one other "trusted employee" carry concealed on property. My boss has an unloaded pistol in his desk.

I have carried a G17 and a spare mag in a smart carry every day for the last two years, G26 on my ankle for a year before that. Office environment, tucked in polo and slacks. Easy to hide with the smart carry.

The only way they will ever find out is if I have to use it. If they fire me... that means that I survived.

Everyone gets to make their own choices. If you choose to have an anti-gun policy and do not choose to enforce it with metal detectors, then I choose to ignore your policy.

Concealed Means Concealed
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”