Effective Notice question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LSL
Posts in topic: 2

Effective Notice question

Post by LSL »

Houston Alley Theater has AN INCORRECTLY phrased 30.06 notice, in English only, printed on each ticket in tiny print. [EDITED 10:14 pm21 May - See my comment below]
THIS IS NOT sufficient NOR EFFECTIVE notice!
Does it also need to be printed in Spanish?

:txflag:
Last edited by LSL on Tue May 21, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Voluntare Usque Vocaris / lsl
SA XDM 3.8c 9mm and Ruger LC9 -- each in a <tripleTholsters.com> IWB
Walther P22

jmra
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Effective Notice question

Post by jmra »

LSL wrote:Houston Alley Theater has a correctly phrased 30.06 notice, in English only, printed on each ticket in tiny print.
Is this sufficient notice?
Does it also need to be printed in Spanish?

:txflag:
Only required in both English and Spanish if it is on a sign.

(3) "Written communication" means:
(A) a card or other document on which is written
language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06,
Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed
handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411,
Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this
property with a concealed handgun"
; or
(B) a sign posted on the property that:
(i) includes the language described by
Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
(ii) appears in contrasting colors with
block letters at least one inch in height; and
(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner
clearly visible to the public.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RX8er
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RX8er »

That's a good one but I'm not sure if that would be effective notice. Do they make you sign the back of the ticket? How do they know someone has read the ticket? Is it on the whole ticket or the half that you get back?

I can't tell you if I've ever read a movie theater ticket. :headscratch

I get the ticket, hold them folded in between my fingers with a Coke and Popcorn in the other hand. Walk up to the ticket kid, takes it, and then the other half it goes in to shirt pocket or opposite pocket that has contraband candy from Neighbor Market.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

jmra
Posts in topic: 10

Post by jmra »

RX8er wrote:That's a good one but I'm not sure if that would be effective notice. Do they make you sign the back of the ticket? How do they know someone has read the ticket? Is it on the whole ticket or the half that you get back?

I can't tell you if I've ever read a movie theater ticket. :headscratch

I get the ticket, hold them folded in between my fingers with a Coke and Popcorn in the other hand. Walk up to the ticket kid, takes it, and then the other half it goes in to shirt pocket or opposite pocket that has contraband candy from Neighbor Market.
I have heard the argument made that the ticket is an agreement and by accepting the ticket and entering the theater you are accepting the terms of the agreement.
Not saying I agree with the argument - just that I have heard the argument made.
I would also point out that 30.06 says "Written communication" means:...a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following:..."
If you walk into an establishment and are handed a card with the correct language but toss it before reading it, have you received notice? According to the code I think you have. I believe the same standard would apply to the ticket. Buyer beware.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Ericstac
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ericstac »

This is a weak notice if it is actually valid.

I never touch the ticket. When we go to the movies I pay, my wife grabs the tickets and we go to the movie, she hands the tickets to the ticket guy and he points us to the movie.

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JP171 »

the alley theatre can post away, i'll walk right past it, its a city owned building!

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by EEllis »

JP171 wrote:the alley theatre can post away, i'll walk right past it, its a city owned building!

Alley theater isn't city owned, it was privately built by a non-profit opening in 68 and is still operated and owned by the same non-profit. For those who don't know the Alley is a live theater with 2 stages in downtown Houston. The notice on the tickets is legally sufficient for a 30.06 warning. You will be risking arrest if you carry in the venue.

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

jmra wrote:I have heard the argument made that the ticket is an agreement and by accepting the ticket and entering the theater you are accepting the terms of the agreement.
Not saying I agree with the argument - just that I have heard the argument made.
I would also point out that 30.06 says "Written communication" means:...a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following:..."
If you walk into an establishment and are handed a card with the correct language but toss it before reading it, have you received notice? According to the code I think you have. I believe the same standard would apply to the ticket. Buyer beware.
I have heard this as well. But when I buy a ticket, I am agreeing not to sue or to release my image for their use, not that I have been notified I could be arrested? I don't disagree this could be considered notice and I don't ever want to be a test case for it either. Also, when you buy those types of ticket generally don't you sign or have to agree to something before getting the tickets. I remember the last tickets I got for the Circ de Soleil, I had to agree to a hundred things before I could type in my CC info. I just can't see how getting the print on the back of a ticket wold be considered notice. If this was the case, then many more folks skip hte big ugly sign and just hand out little advert flyers when you walk in the doors with the notice somewhere hidden.

The last time my wife and I went to the movies, I dropped her at the front, she went and got the tickets and I don't think I ever even touched one of them.

I'm just :headscratch :headscratch :headscratch about the whole thing. I would love to hear Chas give an unofficial opinion about it all.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

OP, have you made a report on http://www.texas3006.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? Might be a good idea.

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

EEllis wrote:
JP171 wrote:the alley theatre can post away, i'll walk right past it, its a city owned building!

Alley theater isn't city owned, it was privately built by a non-profit opening in 68 and is still operated and owned by the same non-profit. For those who don't know the Alley is a live theater with 2 stages in downtown Houston. The notice on the tickets is legally sufficient for a 30.06 warning. You will be risking arrest if you carry in the venue.

yes its CITY owned, maintained and supported same as the wortham center, miller outdoor theatre and a host of others

State Class Code Land Use Code Building Class Total Units
XV -- Other Exempt (Government) 4680 -- Cultural Facility E 0
Land Area Building Area Net Rentable Area Neighborhood Market Area Map Facet Key Map®
37,241 SF 109,437 0 5900 5001 -- Central Business District 5457A 493L

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

Here is what they say on their website. A little outdated:
Firearms are prohibited
The Texas State Legislature, in 1995 passed Senate Bill 60, which has been codified as a State law, VTCS art. 4413 (29ee). It permits Texas citizens who have obtained the proper license to carry concealed firearms. The same law (section 32) explicitly grants private employers in the State the right to prohibit their employees and visitors from possessing firearms on the employer's premises.

With this notification, the Alley Theatre is informing you that it prohibits firearms on its premises, and reserves the right to search persons, parcels and vehicles on same. This policy applies to all employees, patrons and visitors to the facility.

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

JP171 wrote:
EEllis wrote:

yes its CITY owned, maintained and supported same as the wortham center, miller outdoor theatre and a host of others

Land Area Building Area Net Rentable Area Neighborhood Market Area Map Facet Key Map®
I don't know but am curious so....

I called and the lady that answered the phone said that the non profit had an endowment for the land and collected money from Houston residents in the 60's. They are a tax exempt Cultural Facility and that she was unsure if it was owned by the Houston or not. She "has a feeling" that it is owned by the Alley Theatre and not the city. She said that if you are city owned, there are certain things you have to offer and thye do not. She took my name and phone number and will call me back.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by suthdj »

According to HCAD it is "A -- Business Personal Property" owned by "ALLEY THEATRE"

http://www.hcad.org/Records/Personal/Ad ... fic+Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by EEllis »

JP171 wrote:
EEllis wrote:

Yeah nope, owned by it's own non-profit, built in 68. Some land was donated and the rest purchased , never city owned and not connected financially to the other theaters. Heck man google it! In addition to being one of the oldest theater companies in the country it is the only major one in Houston to own it's own building and in addition to actually making money, which it does most years, last I heard they have an endowment of just under 20 mill.
In May of 1962, the Houston Endowment, a charitable trust established by the late Jesse H. Jones and Mrs. Jones, made the initial gift to the Alley of approximately one half block of land in the center of the new civic center downtown for a new building. Then, in October of that same year, the Ford Foundation announced a gift of $6.1 million to nine non-profit theaters, including a grant of $2.1 million to the Alley to construct the new building and to help it in its developmental phase for the first 10 years. But, to qualify for the grant, the Alley was required to raise an additional $900,000 locally.

During the hot summer of 1963, a city-wide campaign yielded 25,000 individual gifts, securing the grant and assuring there would be a new theatre for the Alley. “The Chronicle’s” seven column headline read: “Alley Drive Smashed Over Top,” and the news was flashed on the Times Square marquee in New York City. Some of the people leading the campaign were George A. Peterkin, and T. N. Law, Isaac Arnold, J. W. Link, Jr. and John H. Lindsey.

By the following Spring, the Alley had acquired 21,000 square feet of adjacent land, making about five/sixths of the block available for the new building. As the project’s pace accelerated, Ulrich Franzen was signed as the prime architect and plans were drawn for the building; the Alley received both a playwright in residence award from the Ford Foundation (for Paul Zindel) and another grant of $1.4 million from Ford Foundation to support innovative theater architecture.
http://www.alleytheatre.org/Alley/A_Home_of_Our_Own.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Just because it's stupid to have to argue about it.

Houston First Corporation ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_First_Corporation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) runs the city owned theaters but has nothing to do with the Alley

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

EEllis wrote:
JP171 wrote:
EEllis wrote:

Yeah nope, owned by it's own non-profit, built in 68. Some land was donated and the rest purchased , never city owned and not connected financially to the other theaters. Heck man google it! In addition to being one of the oldest theater companies in the country it is the only major one in Houston to own it's own building and in addition to actually making money, which it does most years, last I heard they have an endowment of just under 20 mill.
In May of 1962, the Houston Endowment, a charitable trust established by the late Jesse H. Jones and Mrs. Jones, made the initial gift to the Alley of approximately one half block of land in the center of the new civic center downtown for a new building. Then, in October of that same year, the Ford Foundation announced a gift of $6.1 million to nine non-profit theaters, including a grant of $2.1 million to the Alley to construct the new building and to help it in its developmental phase for the first 10 years. But, to qualify for the grant, the Alley was required to raise an additional $900,000 locally.

During the hot summer of 1963, a city-wide campaign yielded 25,000 individual gifts, securing the grant and assuring there would be a new theatre for the Alley. “The Chronicle’s” seven column headline read: “Alley Drive Smashed Over Top,” and the news was flashed on the Times Square marquee in New York City. Some of the people leading the campaign were George A. Peterkin, and T. N. Law, Isaac Arnold, J. W. Link, Jr. and John H. Lindsey.

By the following Spring, the Alley had acquired 21,000 square feet of adjacent land, making about five/sixths of the block available for the new building. As the project’s pace accelerated, Ulrich Franzen was signed as the prime architect and plans were drawn for the building; the Alley received both a playwright in residence award from the Ford Foundation (for Paul Zindel) and another grant of $1.4 million from Ford Foundation to support innovative theater architecture.
http://www.alleytheatre.org/Alley/A_Home_of_Our_Own.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Just because it's stupid to have to argue about it.

Houston First Corporation ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_First_Corporation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) runs the city owned theaters but has nothing to do with the Alley
deleted due to not wishing to continue this, have a good day of course your right

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”