A heads up Carmike in Tyler went 30.06.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RX8er
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A heads up Carmike in Tyler went 30.06.

Post by RX8er »

RogueUSMC wrote:But I've seen that sign there for months??? Carmike Cinemas as a whole have been known to be anti-gun for a long time and they posted that sign late last year...but I find it curious that is is just now becoming an issue?? Why?? the local gun pages on facebook for East Texas saw this issue raised and two days later, it's on the news. Looks to me like the 'raising awareness on social media' works...lol

I'm not against the stink being raised by any means but why did it wait this long to be an issue? I posted Carmike Cinemas in Tyler months ago on both the 'GunFreeZones' and the 'Posted!' apps on the mobile phones (not that those apps get much contribution in the Tyler area).
Maybe because it was not politically correct to say anything about it in the media and now it is or just not enough of a story. It sometimes takes moths for an issue to garner enough steam to make a blip on the medias screen and now it has and someone is running with it. Guess next time, you just need to try harder in getting it out and everyone's attention. :patriot: :biggrinjester:
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 6

Post by nightmare69 »

RogueUSMC wrote:But I've seen that sign there for months??? Carmike Cinemas as a whole have been known to be anti-gun for a long time and they posted that sign late last year...but I find it curious that is is just now becoming an issue?? Why?? the local gun pages on facebook for East Texas saw this issue raised and two days later, it's on the news. Looks to me like the 'raising awareness on social media' works...lol

I'm not against the stink being raised by any means but why did it wait this long to be an issue? I posted Carmike Cinemas in Tyler months ago on both the 'GunFreeZones' and the 'Posted!' apps on the mobile phones (not that those apps get much contribution in the Tyler area).

I check Texas3006.com to find out what is posted. I live in Longview and we have a Carmike Cinemas but I have not been there in a long time. I may check this weekend if its posted or not. I found nothing on Texas3006 website about it.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sjfcontrol »

chasfm11 wrote:
jimlongley wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:People are not happy about this either...

http://www.kltv.com/story/22502709/east ... them-safer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Williams says on Monday, the Carmike headquarters told him that the signs were meant to keep guns out of theaters in open carry states, where patrons had reported feeling uncomfortable.
Yeah ok, the sign is supposed to ban open carry only.
Except this is not an open carry state, and the sign does not refer to open carry but specifically to concealed carry.
Sometimes, the executives of an organization, who are in one State, assume that the gun laws in all the States where they do business are the same. I had researched the sign on Buffalo Wild Wings and found it consistent with their home State laws.

The Internet shows Carmike Cinema as headquartered in Columbus, GA. According Opencarry.org, you may open carry in GA with a permit. Wikipedia says the same. Perhaps that is the source of the problem in TX.
Let me see if I've got this straight...

A Georgia company is attempting to prevent open carry in their theaters nationwide (?) by posting a sign that only has meaning in Texas, and that only restricts concealed carry in Texas, where open carry is not allowed anyway?

Makes perfect sense to me!! :willynilly: Image
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

sjfcontrol wrote: Let me see if I've got this straight...

A Georgia company is attempting to prevent open carry in their theaters nationwide (?) by posting a sign that only has meaning in Texas, and that only restricts concealed carry in Texas, where open carry is not allowed anyway?

Makes perfect sense to me!! :willynilly: [ Image ]
Welcome to the the executive suite. Your key to the washroom is in the mail. :biggrinjester:

Actually, it probably went down in a far different manner.

Executive to non-legal assistant: We had some patrons scared by guns in our theaters. Figure out how to prevent that from happening in any of our theaters again.

Assistant: But that happened in GA where the guns can be visibly worn.

Executive: Make sure that it doesn't happen in ANY of our theaters. Figure out the signs in each State.

The rest is small details and not important to the executive thought process. :mrgreen:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 6

Post by nightmare69 »

Apparently the Carmike theater in Longview did also. I got a email from texas3006.com that said its now posted with the 30.06 sign. Posting the no guns signs worked so well for Aurora.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

I'm going to have to check and see if it is franchise wide and look at the one here in cypress and if so we'll be going else where too And writing them a letter as well.
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Don't patronize them.

Netflix/Red Box doesn't care how many, or where, you carry.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Oldgringo wrote:Don't patronize them.

Yup...you just have to wait a little while! We see like one movie per year in the theaters...maybe two if Peter Jackson is active.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Don't patronize them.

Yup...you just have to wait a little while! We see like one movie per year in the theaters...maybe two if Peter Jackson is active.
I know what you mean. We saw "TITANIC" on the big screen when it first came out. It was COOL!

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

Large screen venues are the only reason to go to a movie theatre. I can reproduce the apparent screen size and sound quality from a multiplex in my family room and be a lot more comfortable.
The Cine' Capri (24th & Camelback, Phoenix) opened in 1966 with a 70' screen that curved outward to the fourth or fifth row of seating, hi-fidelity stereophonic sound system, gold drapery, and 800 reclining, high back naugahyde(I always wondered how many naugys it took to do the job?) upholstered seats! The Cine' Capri experience was one of a kind. No screaming kids, no trash, no shoes sticking to the floor, ushers who took care of the occasional unruly patron, jacket and tie required for gentlemen except at matinée performances. "The Agony and the Ecstasy" in 70mm Cinemascope was the first film shown, Charlton Heston was there for a film/acting class , the premier, and a reception that followed. "Star Wars" played to sold out audiences for over a year in 77-78(longest single film showing engagement in history).
Sadly an office tower was deemed a more efficient use of the land and following, ironically, the "Titanic" engagement the Cine' Capri was demolished.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Blindref757
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Blindref757 »

Went to Tyler Carmike last week because I had a free pass. Saw the signs and was not sure if the Carmike Logo at the bottom invalidated it or not. If a Gunbuster Logo invalidates it, why not Thank You...Carmike Cinemas logo?

Blindref757
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Blindref757 »

I went ahead and sent them some feedback!

"I attended your theater last week and I was very disappointed to find the signage that prevented me from carrying my concealed handgun into the theater. I'm not at all concerned about needing a gun while inside your facility, the odds of needing to use a concealed weapon in a large crowd are astronomically low. I am however, always concerned when I walk to and from my vehicle in a parking lot after dark. Regardless of how well lit it may be...or that security cameras are monitoring the premises, I am at a much higher risk of being threatened there. Because of your signage, I will not be choosing to attend your facilities. There are other options in Tyler that are not posted and allow me to chose to protect myself and my family. I feel that you should know that your corporate decisions affect your bottom line. Maybe there are people who will chose to take my seat in your theater because you are a gun free zone...but I believe they are naive and that your sign creates a zone where violent criminals expect that they can commit crimes without fear of being confronted by a responsible, law-abiding citizen. One who has passed a full background check and shown himself to be proficient with a self-defense weapon. Thank You for providing me a place to offer my feedback."

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Blindref757 wrote:Went to Tyler Carmike last week because I had a free pass. Saw the signs and was not sure if the Carmike Logo at the bottom invalidated it or not. If a Gunbuster Logo invalidates it, why not Thank You...Carmike Cinemas logo?
A gun buster logo does not invalidate a 30.06 sign. As long as the sign contains all the required verbiage, is in English and Spanish, and has at least 1" letters, then there can be additional photos, logos or other info on it and still be legal.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

nightmare69 wrote:People are not happy about this either...

http://www.kltv.com/story/22502709/east ... them-safer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Williams says on Monday, the Carmike headquarters told him that the signs were meant to keep guns out of theaters in open carry states, where patrons had reported feeling uncomfortable.
Yeah ok, the sign is supposed to ban open carry only.
Thanks OCT :roll:

patterson

Post by patterson »

Does anyone know if any of the other Tyler theaters are posted. I usually go to Times Square but don't know if its posted or not so I haven't carried, I believe its family owned not part of a chain

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”