chl renewal questions

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
05kas05
Posts in topic: 3

chl renewal questions

Post by 05kas05 »

i got a letter from dps letting me now my license needs to be renewed because it expires in November of 2013 so i was just wondering if i renew online through Texas DPS what is the fee? is it still the 140.00 dollars . also are there any major changes in the process nothing has changed on my end but do i need new prints/photos does it still take 3-4 months or is it faster now ? could i wait a month or two and still get it done in time i'm low on cash at the moment. and finally im assuming we still need to take the class and reshoot since this will be my first renewal correct. sorry for all the questions i have not kept up with this info like i should have been. and i also want to thank anyone in advance for their help

XGC Radioactive
Posts in topic: 2

Re: chl renewal questions

Post by XGC Radioactive »

05kas05 wrote:i got a letter from dps letting me now my license needs to be renewed because it expires in November of 2013 so i was just wondering if i renew online through Texas DPS what is the fee? is it still the 140.00 dollars . also are there any major changes in the process nothing has changed on my end but do i need new prints/photos does it still take 3-4 months or is it faster now ? could i wait a month or two and still get it done in time i'm low on cash at the moment. and finally im assuming we still need to take the class and reshoot since this will be my first renewal correct. sorry for all the questions i have not kept up with this info like i should have been. and i also want to thank anyone in advance for their help
i can't answer all of your questions, but from my dealings with them, It is my opinion that they give you PLENTY of notice. I wouldn't wait long, but times for processing even new applications have dropped significantly.
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
Ted Nugent

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossfire »

The renewal fee is $70, unless you are a veteran, or over 60. Then it is $35.

You do not need new photos or fingerprints.

After Sept 1, you also do not need a renewal class. So, I would wait until after Sept 1 before completing the online renewal application, and that is all you will need to do.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
05kas05

Post by 05kas05 »

thanks for clarifying the price i was a little confused on the website because it was showing a 70.00 charge for the renewal and a 72.00 texas.gov charge that i was not sure about so i didnt complete the app becasue i thought i might be getting charged more than i should.

so even if it is my first renewal if i wait until after sept 1.2013 all i will need to do is complete the app online and pay 70.00 dollars that is awesome

so does anyone know what the 72.00 texas.gov fee is?

XGC Radioactive
Posts in topic: 2

Post by XGC Radioactive »

05kas05 wrote:thanks for clarifying the price i was a little confused on the website because it was showing a 70.00 charge for the renewal and a 72.00 texas.gov charge that i was not sure about so i didnt complete the app becasue i thought i might be getting charged more than i should.

so even if it is my first renewal if i wait until after sept 1.2013 all i will need to do is complete the app online and pay 70.00 dollars that is awesome

so does anyone know what the 72.00 texas.gov fee is?
I believe it's their price for doing it online. a $2 "convenience fee" if you will.
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
Ted Nugent

Topic author
05kas05

Post by 05kas05 »

well an extra 2 dollars for doing it online would not bother me but the way it pulled up is very confusing as it had the 70.00 dollar renewal fee and then right below that was the 72.00 texas.gov fee and it looked as though you would get charged both which would be 142.00. good thing i came here to double check as i had no idea about the recent change as far as the removal of the continuing education part so that will save some coin. looks like i'll just wait till about sept 15th and renew online then. :hurry: :hurry:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”