How much of a hassle to fly with a firearm? ***UPDATE***

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

DMG
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DMG »

It is not the airport (in an unsecured area or not) that has the gun ban, it is the city that the airport is located in. Whether or not it is the job of the TSA or ticket agent to enforce state or city law, it is a moot point when you are at the ticket counter, tell the agent that you have a handgun to declare, and they call over the local gendarmes. This has happened at least a couple of times that I am familiar with, in NYC and not Chicago, but each city has similar statues and attitudes towards guns.

David G.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

Despite Chicago's infamous handgun ban, I've never read of anyone being hassled there while traveling with a handgun.

The incidents I've read of have all been NYC or Newark.

O'Hare is such a major hub, handling so many travelers from all parts of the country (including hunters taking long guns to and from Canada), I think they just don't worry about it. Especially since they'd lose the case in the end, since such travel is clearly protected under FOPA.

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

Perhaps a clarification is in order. Dre stated:
The ammunition packaging regulations are not specific to American Eagle/American Airlines, as they do not search your baggage. Ammunition also does not have to be declared.. only if it accompanies a firearm in checked baggae.

That said, ammunition may be in original packaging or in clips.. the general rule is: no loose ammo.
It is true that the Federal/TSA regulations are the same for each airline, but each airline may also impose additional rules as well (and I believe they can forbid transporting firearms entirely, altho none do that I know of). Your ammo and handgun packaging may meet "the law", but if it doesn't also meet the airline rules, you may have problems.

For instance, American Airline's website does in fact forbid transporting ammunition in "clips" (I assume they include magazines in this). From their website:
Ammunition must be packed in its original packaging. Loose ammunition or clips will not be accepted.

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/ ... rearms.jsp
However, Southwest Airlines is okeydoke with ammo in magazines or clips as long as they are not banging around loose in your luggage:
Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/ ... rearms.jsp
One of the airlines does not allow ammo in the same case as the gun, even tho TSA regs allow it. (At least this used to be the case --this may have changed, it has been awhile since I researched this.)

It pays to research the website of the airline you are going to be flying, (and print out their rules, as well as the TSA regs) and maybe the others as well since unforeseen circumstances may switch you to another carrier.

elb

[Interesting side note -- to me anyway -- AA doesn't consider pellet guns to be firearms, and no special handling (other than being in your checked bag) is required, but SWA DOES consider "BB guns" the "same as all other firearms." ??][/quote]

aggiedave05

Flying with Handguns and Longguns?

Post by aggiedave05 »

So, this seems to be the definitive thread on firearms travelling.

I have travelled on 2 occasions with only handguns, but this trip I would like to travel with my shotgun (love to shoot with brother). So this brings up a question re: airline regs v. tsa "law".

AA allows you to fly with 3 longguns or 5 handguns per case. Nothing is written re: combinations. For example, can I travel with 2 longguns and 2 handguns in same case? I sent an e-mail to AA and called the first time and they basically deferred to TSA which has no such rule as far as I can see RE: number of firearms only the method in which it is transported and declared. Because of any lack of clarity in this I have not attempted this travel yet and my nightmare is arriving at check-in and being informed that I may not travel with shotgun.

Surely I am not the only one who has faced this? Thoughts? Comments?

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 17

Re: Flying with Handguns and Longguns?

Post by jimlongley »

aggiedave05 wrote:So, this seems to be the definitive thread on firearms travelling.

I have travelled on 2 occasions with only handguns, but this trip I would like to travel with my shotgun (love to shoot with brother). So this brings up a question re: airline regs v. tsa "law".

AA allows you to fly with 3 longguns or 5 handguns per case. Nothing is written re: combinations. For example, can I travel with 2 longguns and 2 handguns in same case? I sent an e-mail to AA and called the first time and they basically deferred to TSA which has no such rule as far as I can see RE: number of firearms only the method in which it is transported and declared. Because of any lack of clarity in this I have not attempted this travel yet and my nightmare is arriving at check-in and being informed that I may not travel with shotgun.

Surely I am not the only one who has faced this? Thoughts? Comments?
TSA doesn't much care how many and what combination, it's the airlines you have to worry about there. When I was with TSA I saw many combinations go through, Dove hunters taking along a couple of plinking guns (pistol and rifle) and compettition shooters with several different guns along.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

aggiedave05

Post by aggiedave05 »

Thanks jimlongley, good to have someone in the know confirm what I believed RE: TSA Regs.

Anyone have a perspective on the American Airlines part?

ELB

Post by ELB »

aggiedave05 wrote:Thanks jimlongley, good to have someone in the know confirm what I believed RE: TSA Regs.

Anyone have a perspective on the American Airlines part?
My "vibes" from having traveled with my guns a few times are that AA will not care if you have one shotgun and two handguns in the same case. (Me, I'd want to pack them separately anyway, but that's just my druthers). However, two suggestions:

1. Call and or email them and ask the question. Usually a pain in the patootie to get a live person, but persistance (and hitting the "0" (zero) key a lot should get you through. Document the full name and/or employee/agent number of who you talk to, phone number, date and time, etc. Better yet, get them to send you an email.

2. And/or: put your two handguns in the shotgun case with the shotgun, but go ahead and carry a spare handgun case on the off-chance there is a hitch. Stick your ammo in or something, if you need to make use of the space. If all goes well this trip, you'll know for next time. (Sounds like you make this trip periodically).

elb

aggiedave05

Post by aggiedave05 »

It's a double gun case so plenty of room. Just the principle of if I'm gonna travel with this giant case anyways would be nice to travel with just one case.

Thanks again guys, lots of good info on here.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”