Taco Cabana; NO WEAPONS ON OUR PROPERTY

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

BadCo45ACP wrote:
Liberty wrote:
The San Antonio Chamber of comerce campaigned pretty hard to fight us. The business along along the river walk are heavily represented in the Chamber of Commerce.
ok, but I'm still unclear as to what exactly they campained against, and what they won.
The San Antonio Chamber of Commerce wrote letters and lobbied against the parking lot bill which would have forced employers to reccognize the right of CHL holders to keep their concealed weapons in their cars. This was the only battle in our war for the Right to Keep and Bare Arms in the entire Taxas state legislation session that we had lost.
A walk down the river walk will expose that almost every bussiness there is a member of the anti gun grouip known as the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 12

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Liberty...

I agree with most of what you said there...But...

Being a member of the Chamber of Commerce is not always indicative of you being in lock step with what they promote or support in these matters...

I don't think alot of those businesses on the River Walk give a flip about that parking lot bill...And I don't think that is particularly damning on thier part...Sure, they should pay more attention and participate if you are going to be a part of the Chamber...

Its the politicos in the Chamber looking to get attention, and line their political resume's that drive efforts like this...Most of the time those efforts are hollow, but sometimes even those effort make a dent...

And this time it caught us...But we almost got it this last session...I'm with the crowd that knows it'll be introduced again in 2009...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

DSARGE
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DSARGE »

I am confused about the parking lot bill. I go down to the River Walk occasionally and pack everywhere. I have not seen a 30.06 sign or anything else against carrying. I park in the garages, go through the mall :sad:, and eat at the resturants. About the only thing I could think of is the bars, and I don't go in them anyway. Isn't all that public property? Am I missing something? Personally, I wouldn't go down there and NOT carry.
As far as Taco Cabana, I have been in there twice and got sick both times, so no loss there. I think the ban on weapons comes down to ignorance of exactly what a CHL entails and not a disdain against weapons holders. If I see a 30.06 sign, I just drive to the next place.
I found the Lord again--although he never lost me!

lawrnk
Posts in topic: 13

Post by lawrnk »

Dear Taco Cabana,

As a recent concealed handgun licensee, I was very disappointed to read about your company policy. Prior to my license my family ate about twice a week at your Missouri City, TX location. Since you prohibit "ANY" weapon on your facility (see this email from your lawyers http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... aco+cabana, I will be sure and inform the Missouri City police department that they are also not welcome. I know most of the officers. I have enjoyed your food for going on 18 years, and sorry to say neither myself or any of my family with be doing business with you while this policy exists.

Regards,

Kevin E. Lawrence

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

stevie_d_64 wrote:Venus...I agree...Its a very principled stand to take, and I am not opposed to it at all...

But really...You go to that Lupe Tortilla's on Bay Area Blvd??? ;-)

We need to get together at the Pei Wei (pronounced Pay-Way) place across the street there...I have a hankerin' for lemon pepper chicken from time to time...I would never steer you wrong! ;-)
It's all about the Honey Seared Chicken and Kung Poa Chicken at Pei Wei. :cool:

I'm like others. I do not buy food from TC, and have not bought food from them longer than I can remember. There are better fajitas elsewhere.

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

We got a panda express near me recently. Its about time drive thru chinese came to town. I've no idea if it is any good.

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Kalrog »

lawrnk wrote:We got a panda express near me recently. Its about time drive thru chinese came to town. I've no idea if it is any good.
It is mall food court fare. Not horrible, but certainly nothing to write home about.

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

Response from the Taco Commies

Mr. Lawrence:

We are very disappointed to lose a loyal customer like you. I
understand that you are not in agreement with our policy and that you
are probably a very responsible gun owner. Our decision was based on
many factors and we know our decision is not acceptable to everyone.

We also welcome the Missouri City Police Department, as all peace
officers are excluded from the exemption.

Thank you for your loyalty in the past and best of luck to you.

Shanna M. Ramirez
Vice President, Associate General Counsel
Carrols Restaurant Group, Inc.
8918 Tesoro Drive, Ste. 200
San Antonio, Texas 78217
Phone: (210) 283-5569
Fax: (210) 804-2328

Doug.38PR
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Doug.38PR »

very insightful. The MPD are exempted from this.

So... what they are saying there is "Police are the only ones that are safe with guns....everybody else is unsafe with guns."

Renegade

Post by Renegade »

We also welcome the Missouri City Police Department, as all peace officers are excluded from the exemption.
Unless they have a copy of that letter, how do they know?

Also, since FBI Agents are not Peace Officers, it appears they, along with other Special Investigators are banned from carrying there. Well, at least us CHLs are in good company.....

Also, "excluded from the exemption", isn't that some sort of double negative? So Missouri City Police Dept officers cannot carry there?
Last edited by Renegade on Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rgoldy

Post by rgoldy »

Isnt that the same address for Taco Cabana? That might explain why the Lupe Tortilla posts as it does.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
JOIN NRA[/i] JOIN TSRA

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 12

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Doug.38PR wrote:very insightful. The MPD are exempted from this.

So... what they are saying there is "Police are the only ones that are safe with guns....everybody else is unsafe with guns."
Seems like a reasonable question to ask of:

Shanna M. Ramirez
San Antonio, Texas 78217

Since it only makes sense...This is one of those pots that begs to be stirred some more... ;-)

Heck, I'll even call her...Haven't had a lawyer hang up on me today... :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Lucky45
Posts in topic: 21

Post by Lucky45 »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
Doug.38PR wrote:very insightful. The MPD are exempted from this.

Seems like a reasonable question to ask of:

Shanna M. Ramirez
San Antonio, Texas 78217

Since it only makes sense...This is one of those pots that begs to be stirred some more... ;-)

Heck, I'll even call her...Haven't had a lawyer hang up on me today... :lol:
What up with everyone in the last couple days...or over the weekend? Everyone pretending like they don't understand English now, as well as following responses. The lady said in her response to a specific question, that MoCity PD are exempt from having to disarm in the restaurant, by LAW. Not according to any slack given by Taco Cabana. TEXAS LAW.!!!
Geeezz.
If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything.

Lucky45
Posts in topic: 21

Post by Lucky45 »

Renegade wrote:Also, since FBI Agents are not Peace Officers, it appears they, along with other Special Investigators are banned from carrying there. Well, at least us CHLs are in good company.....
You guys are killing me. Here is the US law.
H.R.218: The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004
(Enrolled as Agreed to or Passed by Both House and Senate)

One Hundred Eighth Congress of the United States of America

AT THE SECOND SESSION

Begun and held at the City of Washington on Tuesday, the twentieth day of January, two thousand and four

An Act

To amend title 18, United States Code, to exempt qualified current and former law enforcement officers from State laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed handguns.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004'.

SEC. 2. EXEMPTION OF QUALIFIED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS FROM STATE LAWS PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF CONCEALED FIREARMS.

(a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926A the following:

`Sec. 926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement officers

`(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).
`(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that--
`(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or

`(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.

`(c) As used in this section, the term `qualified law enforcement officer' means an employee of a governmental agency who--

`(1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest;

`(2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;

`(3) is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency;

`(4) meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;

`(5) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and

`(6) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

`(d) The identification required by this subsection is the photographic identification issued by the governmental agency for which the individual is employed as a law enforcement officer.

`(e) As used in this section, the term `firearm' does not include--

`(1) any machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the National Firearms Act);

`(2) any firearm silencer (as defined in section 921 of this title); and

`(3) any destructive device (as defined in section 921 of this title).'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for such chapter is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926A the following:

`926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement officers.'
In a nutshell, if they are ON-DUTY then they can carry. If they are OFF-DUTY, then they have to obey PC30.06 like everyone else.
If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything.

Renegade

Post by Renegade »

Lucky45 wrote:
What up with everyone in the last couple days...or over the weekend? Everyone pretending like they don't understand English now, as well as following responses. The lady said in her response to a specific question, that MoCity PD are exempt from having to disarm in the restaurant, by LAW. Not according to any slack given by Taco Cabana. TEXAS LAW.!!!
Geeezz.
Now that is a self-referencing post.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”